• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2015 (First Half)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animefanworried

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:41 pm Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
I'm not a hater in fact I'm a fan but yeah while it's still in the top 30 it's been going lower and lower every year, it makes me sad, and the haters love seeing it fail in some regard, which is a little silly.

Sorry about that, I guess I'm tired of haters myself and went a little aggressive. While I agree its fallen since its heyday, its still holding high and steady so its not a dramatic fall or anything. The author decided to start the final arc, so as long as the sales hold high enough for him to finish I'm OK.

My comment on haters was more aimed at pauladls though.
TwitchingFool0

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 11:07 pm Reply with quote
Poor Bleach. We need the anime back! ;__;7
HatsumiShinogu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:09 am Reply with quote
I am kind of surprised Ao Haru Ride is on the list. It's a shoujo romance with a very typical plot. While it started good, it went downhill half way through. I am sure it is a taste thing but I am still surprised it was that popular. The plot was nothing new or different and the characters weren't that likable. I was so disappointed as I expected it to be somewhat different than what we see in most shoujo manga. I guess the mangaka likes her typical romance stories where the female protagonist has to end up with the guy she first fell for.
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:24 am Reply with quote
Generic? Taizai isn't generic at all. The foreshadowing of this series is one of the best I've seen/read. Something so tiny in one of the pages of the first volume can become a major plot point in the latter chapters. For example, spoiler[the Matrona arc, that leada to Diane past and characterisation.]

It does not fear to be gross when killing characters. If heads have to fly, then they show it (even in the anime). Also, the fan-service is almost nonexistent. One might thinnk that a female giant with big breasts and everything would be the fan-service point of the series, but it isn't. Meliodas might be a pervert with Elizabeth, but that doesn't mean that we'll be watching her breasts at every single box of the manga or scene of the anime. And I also like that here, all the main characters have their own moment for being heroes, even Hawk! And when it's time for Meliodas to shine as the main character, he doesn't beat the bad guy because he overpowers him with his own strength and will and love for his friends. He does that by making a plan with his comrades where everyone participes, even minor side characters.

I really think that Nakaba sensei is doing a great job with Taizai. The way it blends lota of characters and myths from mythology and legends amaze me. There are some points that need to be explained, so it doesn't feel that certain characters have plot armor because they are cute, but I think that the author can do that. For all those things, I'm happy that Taizai ia getting good sales, it deserves it. And as far as I know, Nakaba only plans to make 200 chapters, more or less. If that happens, then this won't become large and with a zillion chapters.

As for the anime, although it doesn't have anything to do with this thread, it deviates a lot from the source, mostly because it was too rushed, so a lot of major things about characters are unsolved. In that sense, judging Taizai for only the anime would be wrong.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:58 am Reply with quote
What happened to My Hero Academia? Is it too new to have made a splash in the volume sales?

Kadmos1 wrote:
Honestly, after nearly 18 years, I think Oda should just end One Piece. While I don't read or watch the series, when you have a series last that long or longer, it just drags and drags.

Oh, it definitely does not drag. One Piece is so ridiculously full of plot and content that it needs this sheer size to hold it all. Certain plots do drag (most notably the end of arcs), but it remains interesting, which never fails to astonish me.

Jackanapes wrote:
As far as I'm concerned no recent Shonen manga has anything on Hunter x Hunter and where it left off before going on hiatus.

Togashi's hiatuses do a real number on its popularity though. It probably loses a lot of people each time it goes on break.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 2:05 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
What happened to My Hero Academia? Is it too new to have made a splash in the volume sales?

Taken from the volume listings:

74. *,354,692 Boku no Hero Academia Vol.2
92. *,305,455 Boku no Hero Academia Vol.3
100. ,285,128 Boku no Hero Academia Vol.1

It did well, but came up short of a million copies for the period. It's around 100k sales shy of the cut off.
Sunset In the Hood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:16 am Reply with quote
One Piece doesn't deserve such high sales tbh. Its such a typical shounen that it's characters don't even change. 2 years and all they've done is get a power up and went for a shopping spree for new clothes. Oda can't even make a chapter without it splintering into five different directions following different characters. Arcs last for years before they end because of how confusing it is.

spoiler[Gear 4 is the last nail in the unoriginal coffin. How many gears will it be until he beats Blackbeard? 12? 16? Gear 4 Poundman Rolling Eyes]{Added spoiler tags. ~nobahn}

One Piece still growing strong is a reminder that good Mangas will always be overshadowed by long-running Shonens.
AutoOps007

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:15 am Reply with quote
Peter Newell wrote:
One Piece doesn't deserve such high sales tbh. Its such a typical shounen that it's characters don't even change. 2 years and all they've done is get a power up and went for a shopping spree for new clothes. Oda can't even make a chapter without it splintering into five different directions following different characters. Arcs last for years before they end because of how confusing it is.

spoiler[Gear 4 is the last nail in the unoriginal coffin. How many gears will it be until he beats Blackbeard? 12? 16? Gear 4 Poundman Rolling Eyes]

One Piece still growing strong is a reminder that good Mangas will always be overshadowed by long-running Shonens.

No, One Piece deserves to be up there. Oda sleeps 4 hours a day. When it comes to sales you get what you deserve.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:59 am Reply with quote
Academia's sales are decent compared to the manga that are serialized in magazine's that have less subscribers. For example, the Kodansha magazine called Magazine Special had 84-something thousand subscribers in '08 and I doubt that there has been a big jump in subscribers (by that, I mean at least 2000 more).
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:02 pm Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
theNightster wrote:
I'm not a hater in fact I'm a fan but yeah while it's still in the top 30 it's been going lower and lower every year, it makes me sad, and the haters love seeing it fail in some regard, which is a little silly.

Sorry about that, I guess I'm tired of haters myself and went a little aggressive. While I agree its fallen since its heyday, its still holding high and steady so its not a dramatic fall or anything. The author decided to start the final arc, so as long as the sales hold high enough for him to finish I'm OK.

My comment on haters was more aimed at pauladls though.

I'm tired of the shit talking too, if people think that the story went down hill fine but laughing at it's decline in sales is pretty rude to the author. especially since it's known that he's dedicated to his work.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Peter Newell wrote:

spoiler[Gear 4 is the last nail in the unoriginal coffin. How many gears will it be until he beats Blackbeard? 12? 16? Gear 4 Poundman Rolling Eyes]

Not sure what it is that causes you to have such a grudge against One Piece, but I can say that it's one of those series that can be as simple or as complicated as you'd like it to be.

Not sure what you expected for Gear 4 either...people who wanted to see, say, Super Saiyan Luffy or whatever clearly don't understand Luffy as a character.
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Honestly, after nearly 18 years, I think Oda should just end One Piece. While I don't read or watch the series, when you have a series last that long or longer, it just drags and drags.

The you dont know what you are talking about. One Piece is better than ever that is why its the bets manga in all fronts-

leafy sea dragon wrote:

Not sure what it is that causes you to have such a grudge against One Piece, but I can say that it's one of those series that can be as simple or as complicated as you'd like it to be.

Not sure what you expected for Gear 4 either...people who wanted to see, say, Super Saiyan Luffy or whatever clearly don't understand Luffy as a character.

Indeed. You have frustrated fans from other shounen because it hurts them hard that OP is just the best manga and for once quality equals the sales it gets, so its double frustrating.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
I can see a few things that have contributed to One Piece being "beaten out" in terms of overall sales for 2015. Depending upon how many volumes all the other series are putting out per year, One Piece has on average been putting out 4 volumes per year in quarterly rotation. Then with Oda having to take breaks at times that can also slow down the release dates too. Also if anybody who purchased volume 77 noticed, the volume had 12 chapters in it. Usually I had seen 10 chapters per volume but sometimes there could be 11 chapters per volume. This is usually associated to how Oda or the editors want the story to progress within the released volumes themselves. In the end that as well can have an effect on the release dates as well.

For those who do not know, volume 61 is considered the de facto end of the first half of the series and start of the second half of the series. The spoiler[two year timeskip] within the story is what cuts the series in half. Just because this happened in 2010 though does not necessarily mean that the series will end specifically in 2023. As long as Oda has the support of his fans and his passion to keep writing the series, we will probably see this going for a long time. I can see 150 volumes for One Piece.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Madoka...AYUKAWA!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
One Piece lost to Natatsu no Taizai? Color me surprised, I know this will not last, but I thought only massive shows like AoT could manage such a feat.

Well its nothing to brag about really, it literally means nothing, first because its only sales for the first half of a year, this gang banging showdown is pretty unfair when some series could have released fewer volumes in x period to compete with, second because there is noting surprising about a new anime series boosting manga sales and new blood rushing to buy all volumes to catch up, and third and most importantly winning by gang banging means nothing, as the real showdown is a volume vs volume battle, that is where you can really see a real vs battle between manga series.

As other have said, with Shingeki many went nuts because it was close to winning against One Piece because new fans rushed ti buy all volumes to catch up, in the end it was not enough to beat OP either by gang banging as hard as shingeki did when the figures for the whole year were revealed, it was very close, but still not enough,yet you can go to volume vs volume sales and you can see One Piece was still far from being defeated, for someone to overtake an defeat one piece it has to actually beat OP in a per volume battle not by a momentary rush of sales due to new unknown series and everyone rushing to buy all first volumes to catch up.

So calm down, some come hear see 7 deadly sin on top as best seller by series and think OP was beaten the you go here:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-05-31/top-selling-manga-in-japan-by-volume-2015/.88772

And see 7 deadly sins best volume sold above 800k copies, then you see 10 other series that sold more by volume that it, and at the top you see OP with 3 million...beaten?

But 7 deadly sins sales boost was very huge thou, ,and it did not even make that much noise.
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:37 am Reply with quote
You wait, by the time Hero Academia hits it's tenth volume and recieves a two core anime in a few years time, it'll be one of the top sellers.

Great to see Ass Class is still doing very well, and though i' indiferent to 7DS I do like the auther so congratulations on outdoing One Piece.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4