• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2015 (First Half)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animefanworried

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:25 pm Reply with quote
I love Bleach haters: Series makes it into the top 30 best selling list and is holding steady above other beloved and popular series; conclusion: Its ded lol.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:28 pm Reply with quote
Although it is unlikely we'll see another series top One Piece in terms of sales per volume, it is good that there is still competition in terms of overall sales. I never would have expected The Seven Deadly Sins to top this list so it is a nice surprise. While it isn't a revolutionary series, it is a very well done shounen.
animelytical

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
No, it doesn't has the quality to match the sales. most of the sales are from old vols. Once all those people who want the old vols done buying, it will fall many spots next year.

Seven Deadly Sins didn't sell that well per vol.

I think it does have the quality to match the sales.
Generic is an easy tag to put on a series. I think it is quite different from others of its type. Everything has a purpose, some of which are being revealed and have been revealed. As an admirer of the stories which form the basis for where the plot could potentially go, this manga isn't one I'd turn off my brain to read. The unexplained will not remain unexplained.It will certainly lose such a position. While the manga is constantly improving, it is very unlikely to maintain the same level of interest when people start buying manga from the new season instead.

The Seven Deadly Sins didn't sell that well per volume relative to which manga?
I can't find any figures but 10 million total sales as of January 2015 makes for comfortably over 800,000 per volume. That's not bad at all. While not really coming close to One Piece, that is unsurprising. We are comparing the Weekly Shonen Jump juggernaut which has been running for almost 18 years with an anime that began in '99 and is currently running, to a 2½ year old manga which just got 24 episodes.
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Although it is unlikely we'll see another series top One Piece in terms of sales per volume, it is good that there is still competition in terms of overall sales. I never would have expected The Seven Deadly Sins to top this list so it is a nice surprise. While it isn't a revolutionary series, it is a very well done shounen.

There isn't though, One Piece just had less new volumes and isn't getting any new backlog sales like Seven Deadly Sins did. All you have to do is look at the latest weekly ranking to see that One Piece still sells like 4 times as much or more per volume without a hip new anime coming out and an enjoyment of it's honeymoon period. If this list is say the last fiscal year and not just the first half when One Piece had like 2 new volumes and Seven Deadly Sins has 14 or so getting like 500K boosts a pop than it tells a totally different story and just how far apart they are per volume and overall. Seven Deadly Sins boost is long over in any case and it's clear it's plateaued around the 750K mark where it can join the like of Haikyuu, Terra Formers and Tokyo Ghoul etc.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:39 pm Reply with quote
animelytical wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
No, it doesn't has the quality to match the sales. most of the sales are from old vols. Once all those people who want the old vols done buying, it will fall many spots next year.

Generic is an easy tag to put on a series. I think it is quite different from others of its type. Everything has a purpose, some of which are being revealed and have been revealed. As an admirer of the stories which form the basis for where the plot could potentially go, this manga isn't one I'd turn off my brain to read. The unexplained will not remain unexplained.It will certainly lose such a position. While the manga is constantly improving, it is very unlikely to maintain the same level of interest when people start buying manga from the new season instead.

I can't find any figures but 10 million total sales as of January 2015 makes for comfortably over 800,000 per volume. That's not bad at all. While not really coming close to One Piece, that is unsurprising. We are comparing the Weekly Shonen Jump juggernaut which has been running for almost 18 years with an anime that began in '99 and is currently running, to a 2½ year old manga which just got 24 episodes.

This guy is right.

SDS is high quality, everything is thought out and things are super deep, I won't spoil it but look how early the name Meterona was teased, or how early Gowther was...hinted at. The splitting of groups and the way Ban's character has progressed is high quality.
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
animelytical wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:

This guy is right.

SDS is high quality, everything is thought out and things are super deep, I won't spoil it but look how early the name Meterona was teased, or how early Gowther was...hinted at. The splitting of groups and the way Ban's character has progressed is high quality.

As far as I'm concerned no recent Shonen manga has anything on Hunter x Hunter and where it left off before going on hiatus.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Jackanapes wrote:
As far as I'm concerned no recent Shonen manga has anything on Hunter x Hunter and where it left off before going on hiatus.

But HxH is not a recent shonen manga, it is dead, finished, history; even jojo, bleach and bastard! continue to pump new content, it is quite pointless to compare new series to anyone’s old time favorites.
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Wow One Piece lost first that something new
Miyanoai

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:08 pm Reply with quote
firedragon54738 wrote:
Wow One Piece lost first that something new

Not really, Attack on Titan beat it last year I believe.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Jackanapes wrote:
There isn't though, One Piece just had less new volumes and isn't getting any new backlog sales like Seven Deadly Sins did. All you have to do is look at the latest weekly ranking to see that One Piece still sells like 4 times as much or more per volume without a hip new anime coming out and an enjoyment of it's honeymoon period. If this list is say the last fiscal year and not just the first half when One Piece had like 2 new volumes and Seven Deadly Sins has 14 or so getting like 500K boosts a pop than it tells a totally different story and just how far apart they are per volume and overall. Seven Deadly Sins boost is long over in any case and it's clear it's plateaued around the 750K mark where it can join the like of Haikyuu, Terra Formers and Tokyo Ghoul etc.

Not sure who you're disagreeing with because that was my point? That even though One Piece is always top of the sales per volume charts, it's interesting to see this chart which allows us to see which series has sold the most overall in a certain time period.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Honestly, after nearly 18 years, I think Oda should just end One Piece. While I don't read or watch the series, when you have a series last that long or longer, it just drags and drags.

I'm not too much of a One Piece fan (as in, I don't go all fanbou about it), but I think it's one of the better shonen series out there, even after all this time. Oda has created a world where he can throw adventure after adventure to Luffy and co. without making it drag, as there's just too much to see and too many unique characters.

After nearly 18 years, Oda has only made that world more interesting, and they still have a lot of ground (or sea) to cover, so I doubt it'll end anytime soon.
KH91

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
Guess people got more tired of Naruto than being hyped for its conclusion. lol I expected it to be right after One Piece.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:46 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I can't find any figures but 10 million total sales as of January 2015 makes for comfortably over 800,000 per volume. That's not bad at all.

800,000 per volume is low compare to many popular titles, that's lower than naruto. When Bleach first aired as anime, it sold over 1M per vol. Even titles like Kimi ni Todoke sold over a million when it was airing
Not chance of beating one piece if you think that;s enough to stay on the top, you dreaming. We will see, i watched the anime. I don't think this manga can stay on top 5 next year.

Last edited by Spotlesseden on Sun May 31, 2015 9:56 pm; edited 3 times in total
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
animefanworried wrote:
I love Bleach haters: Series makes it into the top 30 best selling list and is holding steady above other beloved and popular series; conclusion: Its ded lol.

I'm not a hater in fact I'm a fan but yeah while it's still in the top 30 it's been going lower and lower every year, it makes me sad, and the haters love seeing it fail in some regard, which is a little silly.
GrayArchon

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Nanatsu not Taizai's volume sales, first half of 2015:

11. *,850,540 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.12
14. *,817,169 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.13
17. *,721,444 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.14
41. *,464,550 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.11
47. *,424,299 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.10
51. *,403,297 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.9
53. *,401,587 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.1
54. *,397,040 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.8
56. *,392,177 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.7
59. *,386,533 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.2
60. *,383,490 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.6
61. *,380,721 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.4
63. *,379,676 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.5
65. *,378,456 Nanatsu no Taizai Vol.3

Totally not selling well per volume. It's going to take a huge drop in a year when it's only averaging 800,000 sales per volume for 5-6 volumes, plus whatever it gets from older volumes. I'll plummet all the way down to the middle of the top 10 selling manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4