• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Top-Selling Manga in Japan by Series: 2015 (First Half)

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:30 am Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Also if anybody who purchased volume 77 noticed, the volume had 12 chapters in it. Usually I had seen 10 chapters per volume but sometimes there could be 11 chapters per volume.

I thought that was because there have been a few chapters shorter than normal that would go into Volume 77.

Nevertheless, volumes of One Piece ARE a tad bigger than most other weekly series, with 11 chapters instead of 10. I can't recall which volume it is, but in one of Oda's question corners, he states it outright that he wants people to have more One Piece at a time.

Madoka...AYUKAWA! wrote:
Indeed. You have frustrated fans from other shounen because it hurts them hard that OP is just the best manga and for once quality equals the sales it gets, so its double frustrating.

Well, it's impossible to please everybody, so I would expect some kind of negative reaction. The more popular something is, the more likely you'll find people angry at it.

Hawkmonger wrote:
You wait, by the time Hero Academia hits it's tenth volume and recieves a two core anime in a few years time, it'll be one of the top sellers.

You're right--the anime does help boost manga sales a lot. Assassination Classroom getting an anime definitely isn't hurting it any. Not sure if that's the case with Food Wars: Shokugeki no Soma though.
Wandering Samurai

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 6:26 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Wandering Samurai wrote:
Also if anybody who purchased volume 77 noticed, the volume had 12 chapters in it. Usually I had seen 10 chapters per volume but sometimes there could be 11 chapters per volume.

I thought that was because there have been a few chapters shorter than normal that would go into Volume 77.

Nevertheless, volumes of One Piece ARE a tad bigger than most other weekly series, with 11 chapters instead of 10. I can't recall which volume it is, but in one of Oda's question corners, he states it outright that he wants people to have more One Piece at a time.

A lot of times it has to do with story progression. There is a note specifically in the table of contents in volume 77 that states that due to the progression of the story there is 12 chapters in it.

I can see that there a lot of people who are not fans of One Piece, it is understandable in a way because the series is really long, but when there is fan demand and dedication to the series, it is kind of hard for Oda not to keep drawing it. Plus the fact he makes the equivalent of 8 figures a year I would imagine is a good incentive as well. There are many reasons why this series is the top selling manga series in the world (estimated 350,000,000 copies) and I as a fan am proud to be one of those reasons Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunset In the Hood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Peter Newell wrote:
One Piece doesn't deserve such high sales tbh. Its such a typical shounen that it's characters don't even change. 2 years and all they've done is get a power up and went for a shopping spree for new clothes. Oda can't even make a chapter without it splintering into five different directions following different characters. Arcs last for years before they end because of how confusing it is.

spoiler[Gear 4 is the last nail in the unoriginal coffin. How many gears will it be until he beats Blackbeard? 12? 16? Gear 4 Poundman Rolling Eyes]

One Piece still growing strong is a reminder that good Mangas will always be overshadowed by long-running Shonens.

Not sure what it is that causes you to have such a grudge against One Piece, but I can say that it's one of those series that can be as simple or as complicated as you'd like it to be.

Not sure what you expected for Gear 4 either...people who wanted to see, say, Super Saiyan Luffy or whatever clearly don't understand Luffy as a character.

I'm not talking about it being powerful or godly. The fact that he relies on gears is basically Super Saiyan 1 - 4 all over again. Just go up a number to beat an opponent. Luffy was supposed to be the guy who used his combat smarts to defeat enemies. Enel he was lucky and was rubber. Crocodile he used water and his own blood. Now it's haki this gear that. It's boring and predictable which is what Luffy shouldn't be.
animelytical

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 11:58 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Quote:

I can't find any figures but 10 million total sales as of January 2015 makes for comfortably over 800,000 per volume. That's not bad at all.

800,000 per volume is low compare to many popular titles, that's lower than naruto. When Bleach first aired as anime, it sold over 1M per vol. Even titles like Kimi ni Todoke sold over a million when it was airing
Not chance of beating one piece if you think that;s enough to stay on the top, you dreaming. We will see, i watched the anime. I don't think this manga can stay on top 5 next year.

I have also said it is unlikely to remain in the top 5 and implied it will do well to stay in the top 10 considering more anime will get adapted. Assassination Classroom, for example, will overtake it.

You used my inaccurate number wrongly. The severely rounded down number I gave was an average for the 2¼ years the manga had been running, which includes 2 years in which time there was no anime at all. That means, comparing that number to numbers of shows while they wee airing is completely wrong.

That being said, by no means did I say it would be enough to stay on top. "That's not bad at all", is what I said, and that suggests that if it maintains quality enough to keep people reasoning, it could maintain decent placing. Bearing in mind that my interpretation of decent placing varies between the title and circumstance. For example, it does well for a Kodansha title as opposed to being a Shueisha one. All things considered, I think Bleach does pretty well when comparing it to Toriko which received more of a spotlight from Weekly Shonen Jump more recently. Weekly Shonen Jump had DOUBLE the number of magazines in circulation over January to March in comparison to Kodansha's Weekly Shonen Magazine at 2,422,500 to 1,156,059. Because of all these things, it is all relative to me. Speaking of which, Attack on Titan does brilliantly and is seemingly almost living off the anime alone.

The Seven Deadly Sins did well, I hope it continues to do well regardless of the actual placing on the list. I never said it would stay top. Or even challenge the top 3 or even 5.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Peter Newell wrote:
I'm not talking about it being powerful or godly. The fact that he relies on gears is basically Super Saiyan 1 - 4 all over again. Just go up a number to beat an opponent. Luffy was supposed to be the guy who used his combat smarts to defeat enemies. Enel he was lucky and was rubber. Crocodile he used water and his own blood. Now it's haki this gear that. It's boring and predictable which is what Luffy shouldn't be.

Gear 4 is Gear 2 and Gear 3 combined, plus haki. It's nothing like the Super Saiyan levels, which were simply throwing more power at the opponent. (Even then though, they weren't all the same: Super Saiyan 2 was more bulk with less speed, and Super Saiyan 3 was more speed with less bulk.)

Last edited by leafy sea dragon on Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Somewhere

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Academia's sales are very impressive for any series that has only had 3 volumes out so far and no anime boost to gain from, regardless of mag. The vast majority of WSJ series that survive beyond the first few volumes don't sell as well as MHA has this early on.

AC's anime boost wasn't actually as big as I was hoping for. Just from eyeballing the 4th/5th week numbers, only went up from ~600k area to mid-high 700k per new vol.
Next to keep an eye on for the yearly chart in November would be to see how Souma's anime boost goes.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
"Only" a little over 10,000 gap between 1st place (Nanatsu no Taizai) and 2nd (One Piece).
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if I should try reading The Seven Deadly Sins... I tried Attack on Titan since I was curious after last year's result, but I didn't like it much (to be honest, though I only watched the anime).

That said, I also want to add that One Piece hasn't reached its natural ending yet; actually, it's just a bit after its half point!
And I'm loving the (albeit controversial) current arc, Dressrosa. So much that it could become one of my favourites. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Agafin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:06 am Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:
Academia's sales are very impressive for any series that has only had 3 volumes out so far and no anime boost to gain from, regardless of mag. The vast majority of WSJ series that survive beyond the first few volumes don't sell as well as MHA has this early on.

AssClass was more impressive. It's second volume sold 910,000 in a single year (2013) without any anime.
animelytical

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:40 am Reply with quote
Somewhere wrote:

The sales are definitely impressive, but if a series is going to sell as consistently well as One Piece in the future, it has almost certainly got to be a WSJ manga. The amount of covers shows they are pushing for success since they believe in the material. It is just what WSJ needed in a post Naruto industry.

For something to exceed the level of being a popular manga to becoming a household name for any series is challenging. Anime helps, naturally certre colour pages in what is easily the most read manga magazine would help too.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4