• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
School-Live! (TV)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
It was disturbing at first with how Yuki could completely disregard the situation they are in and create this school life fantasy world to live in, but that bird has flown the nest. Her condition has now become downright dangerous to the other survivors and no longer creates that shock factor to me (the audience).

spoiler[The "reveal" for Yuki is that she is not truly "crazy" she is simply "Chuunibyou-ing" the situation. (yes, the concept is similar for fictional execution, but the latter is closer to acting in character in place of a person with a traumatically induced condition) ]

Pretty much if the individual viewer hasn't already found the characters worthwhile, future content is simply going to fall flat.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Shikiari wrote:
I wasn't expecting High School of the Dead, but the Zombie outbreak survivor scenario could be exchanged for any multiple un/natural disasters and I don't think it would have added anything new to the show.

Several of the upcoming storylines wouldn't work if the disaster was anything other than a zombie outbreak.

For example (major manga spoiler): spoiler[the girls have to kill the teacher after she becomes a zombie... but not before she infects one of them.]

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Just a reminder, folks. Spoilers from the manga should be explicitly labeled as "Manga spoilers". Especially for this show.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:27 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Just a reminder, folks. Spoilers from the manga should be explicitly labeled as "Manga spoilers". Especially for this show.

I thought it was obvious, since I was talking about upcoming storylines in that post.

I've edited it though, and I'll make sure to adhere to that from now on.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
It was obvious, but there's no reason to not do it. I was more referring to FenixFiesta's post.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:13 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Several of the upcoming storylines wouldn't work if the disaster was anything other than a zombie outbreak.

Thank you all for getting back to me regarding my comments. In my less-than-poor defence, I know absolutely nothing about School-Life other than what I am seeing as the anime streams and what ANN has covered.

I'm not criticising the show by any means, but rather expressing my opinion that the first part of EP2 was boring. If the show can build on the survivor theme, including the Zombies as a larger threat as you have stated, then I believe I'll quite enjoy it.

If you could try to understand that as a newbie to the series point of view, showing the surprisingly promising Zombie outbreak scenario at the end of the last episode and then having the girls go back to doing basic slice-of-life things, kind of soured the mood. However, I'll still be watching next week!
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I probably wouldn't have picked up this show if I didn't know about the twist before hand.

Zombies have been so overdone but I like the focus put on the psychological impact it has on the girls.

My only hope is that it doesn't include my most hated of zombie cliches: "Humans are the real monsters!!!" If the plauge originated by humans I don't mind, but I don't want to see them encounter another group of survivors who all turn out to be worse than the zombies are.

Also, call them zombies already! Zombie titles never call them zombies. What's the deal with that?
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
The zombies actually having memories of their past life and trying to act like they're still alive is freaking horrifying, probably even more to Shovel-chan. Are they aware they're zombies? Do they lash out at humans as soon as they realize they exist because of hunger, or just hatred (like in some other zombie franchises)? Did it only happen to humans, or did other animals get caught too?
I'm pretty sure most of these questions will go unanswered, since it's ultimately still a show about how these girls deal with the zombie thing rather than a group of survivors trying to find a cure, but it's still intriguing. Especially the memories thing, and the implications of it.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:20 am Reply with quote
So the zombies actually leave the school come night because of memories, that is one of the small interesting things that can change them between franchises. Like some different series where they have no sense of sight, or go based off of smell.

One big question coming over from the first episode, is the teacher, Megu, actually real? She seems to spend a good amount of time not actually interacting with the people other than Yuki, and keeps disappearing and reappearing. Looking at her design I notice that she has a cross around her neck, which is particularly interesting, and putting things together makes me think if she has something to do with the "grave" on the roof. If so she almost seems like a part of Yuki that is aware of the situation and is keeping her alive. I noticed some interesting touches like that the classroom she was in earlier seemed only undamaged and thus delusional where the light hit.

There are other aspects of this show I am also quite interested in, and it plays really well off of anime and moe's use of altering what we see from being totally realistic. It was how we saw the zombie when around Kurumi. We could have gotten a straight up full view zombie, but instead we see it covered in darkness, and we start to see the darkness starting to lift as we see a bit of traces of what it once was as Kurumi seems to see it and her heart wavers. Some creative touches I hope we continue to get, and might just be something we can only get in this medium.

This series is actually currently my favourite of the season. I am going to go play some zombie games, now the question is what should I play: Left 4 Dead/2, Dead Island Riptide, Dead Rising 3, Dying Light, or maybe State of Decay? I am so tempted to look up extra information, but I really do not want to be spoiled with this one.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:31 am Reply with quote
So, the manga in the library. The only one I could read clearly was "Dead or Undead" (which was written in the style of Deadman Wonderland's spine). There was also "zombie [something]" (I can't read kanji), "[something] Sensei" (it was red on black, too hard to read), and "[something] Gurashi" (couldn't make it out, wasn't clear enough).
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 5:47 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
This series is actually currently my favourite of the season. I am going to go play some zombie games, now the question is what should I play: Left 4 Dead/2, Dead Island Riptide, Dead Rising 3, Dying Light, or maybe State of Decay? I am so tempted to look up extra information, but I really do not want to be spoiled with this one.

I still need to play Walking Dead season 2...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
I still need to play Walking Dead season 2...

I played them a while back with both seasons back to back, they were really good games, and actually something I was thinking about in terms of this anime in protecting someone during the zombie apocalypse.
Ringking

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:32 am Reply with quote
Seconding the theory that 'megu-nee' is not infact real and is just another part of Yuki's delusion. Alot of the dialogue does indicate to that effect, unless of course it's a red herring.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
So Yuki's denial manifests as her delusions, and Kurumi's attempts to dehumanize the zombies are represented by that black fog (which dissapates when she see personal effects). I'm looking forward to seeing how Yuri and Miki's perspective on things are manifested.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping it will be touched on as to why Yuuri and Miki don't seem to use or carry any weapons. It seems odd to me that Kurumi is the only one seemingly prepared to put up an actual fight. Yuki's situation is already explained and since it's likely Megumi is just a delusion of hers she's explained as well. Some of the things said/done hint at possible reasons, but nothing solid yet.

Taromaru should also be armed, really. Why does no one ever arm the dogs?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 14