• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
School-Live! (TV)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:23 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
To note upon adaptation differences spoiler[By making Tarumaru the reason why Yuki goes back inside the mall creates a logical reason for Yuki to behave in such a manner, however this moment in the source manga was supposed to emphasize that Yuki is capable of doing something reckless/brave in the face of real danger (ie foreshadowing that Yuki is simply keeping up the act) and wasn't simply chasing small dogs]

Interesting. I wonder why that change was made.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:57 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

Interesting. I wonder why that change was made.

"all will be revealed" but just as well this is more an observation on how an adaptation, even a good one, can change how a character is perceived with effectively subtle shifts even if the character actions end up being very close to the source.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Unless I missed a detail in the background of a scene, it seems they've left the Kei question open for now. Which is exactly what I wanted. That is unusual and fantastic. They say to be careful what you wish for, but I think I did a good job.

Working on the premise that Megu-nee is spoiler[actually dead and all in Yuki's head] makes the gag about her weight all that much funnier. Sure, Yuki tries to be conscientious but she must be secretly thinking she could lose a few.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:46 am Reply with quote
HelloBucket wrote:
Unless I missed a detail in the background of a scene, it seems they've left the Kei question open for now. Which is exactly what I wanted. That is unusual and fantastic. They say to be careful what you wish for, but I think I did a good job.

Yeah, I think the show is handling the "what happened to Kei?" thing pretty well. It's one of those many little narrative elements that I've learned to appreciate about the story.

I imagine that this show is going to really lend itself to repeat viewing, because there's a lot of stuff you miss the first time around, or even don't know to look for. For example, in the first scene of the first episode, when Yuki wakes up, she looks over to Miki's mattress, and sees it has already been put away.

Sitting right on top of the mattress is Kei's CD player... Miki must have been listening to that song in the middle of the night, thinking about Kei, and what happened to her. Where is she? Is she safe? If Miki had stopped her from leaving for just a little while, would she and Miki have made it to the school together?

If you're watching the show the first time, you might not even notice that there's a CD player there. After seeing episode 4, that single shot takes on a whole new meaning.
louis6578

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
I love shows with those hidden meanings! It's one of the reasons why I attached to Steins;Gate and Madoka Magica as much as I did. Heck, Anohana too.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:53 am Reply with quote
Episode 6:

Well that pretty much reveals it....

Megumi is no longer with us in this world. That's a cruel reality to deal with tbh although I'm not entirely surprised by it. There were plenty of hints thrown around already that implied she was dead. Still hard to realize the truth though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
That was amazing! The entire reason for the School Living club is revealed! And, for anyone who only vaguely suspected or didn't realize the elephant in the room, Megu-nee's reveal that she's been dead for a while was handled beautifully! We saw it from Miki's point of view that Yuki has just been talking to herself! Brilliant!

I loved how it also revealed that the girls aren't just playing along because it keeps Yuki stable. They're playing along because it keeps them stable. If they treat everything as though survival is all that matters, they'll break and be incapable of enjoying themselves again. Miki knows firsthand, there's a difference between living and just surviving. As Wall-E puts it, "I don't wanna survive! I wanna live!"

The title of the show and the club makes more sense now from a thematic standpoint. They live day to day having fun and blocking out the tragedy around them. These aren't generic moe characters as you may have assumed from the first couple of episodes. These are fully developed characters handling the apocalypse in the best way.

Hopefully the show will go into more detail on Megu-nee's death later. I was very impressed by the choice of Ending Credits. They gave me chills. We're coming to the realization that this hasn't been a totally fun ride for any of them, especially (surprisingly enough), Yuki. I think the most effective shot was of Yuki holding Megu-nee's hand at the dinner table. I love how each of these shots with the two has Megu-nee fade away to reveal that Yuki has been alone this entire time.
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:21 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
That was amazing! The entire reason for the School Living club is revealed! And, for anyone who only vaguely suspected or didn't realize the elephant in the room, Megu-nee's reveal that she's been dead for a while was handled beautifully! We saw it from Miki's point of view that Yuki has just been talking to herself! Brilliant!

Yeah that was a great scene. I also liked the sound effect used there. Like the sound of a failing radio as reality starts to kick in and finally the sound effect ends when we see the radio Yuki used was actually broken. Awesome.

It has kinda been bothering me that Miki wears suspenders. That's kind of... kinky considering her personality and that she is in high school.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:06 pm Reply with quote
If you look from behind, you can see they actually all have the suspenders on their uniforms, but Miki's the only one who wears them. They do seem to be making her out to be the closest thing to a fanservice character the show has, though.
Badge304

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
If you look from behind, you can see they actually all have the suspenders on their uniforms, but Miki's the only one who wears them. They do seem to be making her out to be the closest thing to a fanservice character the show has, though.

The poster is referring to Miki's garter belt holding up her stockings.
Not the other "suspenders"......
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:59 pm Reply with quote
I love the direction of every (serious) scene. They could have easily just made the anime fade from happy delusion to reality without anything else, but instead, they have little things like the radio.

It's an utter shame that Sentai licensed this. It deserves a great dub to keep up with all this emotion. The message about how they need to live, not just survive, is a touching one. Sure, things like The Walking Dead and High School of the Dead can have their messages, but this is the one that really tests your humanity in my opinion.

Although, if Megu-nee and the others made up the School Living club for Yuki, how much of this was just an act before Megu-nee died? Did Yuki still have psychological... stuff before then, or was the School Living club a coping mechanism and nothing more? Was she "aware" of the zombies until Megu-nee was killed by then?
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:49 pm Reply with quote
... so that happened and all I could think of was "Welps she just sacrifice her live for nothing, unless the school has really weird door that only close from the outside". I'm guessing she was like bitten before hand, but then how did she know she was gonna turn, that was on the first day?

We also learn they still have running water and electricity, so it seems like there just in a small quarantined zone.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:54 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
... so that happened and all I could think of was "Welps she just sacrifice her live for nothing, unless the school has really weird door that only close from the outside". I'm guessing she was like bitten before hand, but then how did she know she was gonna turn, that was on the first day?

We also learn they still have running water and electricity, so it seems like there just in a small quarantined zone.

The school has power generators and a fairly large supply of water. It's pointed out that this is very weird, but it's almost like the school was preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse. spoiler[The manga also shows that they have a vaccine that fights zombie bites to a minor extent. It keeps you from dying but you have to keep taking it for the rest of your life or until a cure is found.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
Episode 6

That music room scene was fantastic, especially as the radio started to distort and break down as we saw the truth. Most of us already guessed that Megu-nee was now all in Yuki's head, but personally I feel like this was more than a reveal of that fact. What we needed was a person (Miki) to show us the difference between the illusion and how Yuki kind of feels dangerous. We needed to see what was in Yuki's head, and we needed to see how people break down when only surviving, and then we needed to see that although kind of crazy it give comfort to them.

This was the 6th episode, and thus this felt like a perfect half way mark where we get the end of the first part. I am thinking that I might actually like it now if the show decided to show us Yuki talking to no one from now on, we have acclimated to the situation so we can deal with seeing Yuki fully now. And I therefore hope that this will lead to Yuki eventually breaking down as she has to face the truth and we see that missing event. Actually, the way Yuki was getting quite close to begging Miki to say that Megu-nee was there felt like more than Yuki just being delusional, she wants to believe it. The ED was a clincher in emotions.

The talk above about the school be strangely able to cope with the situation, well I have held the theory that the city itself maybe holds a secret of how it started. Well at least I am hoping we will get some reveal of perhaps how this started, after how things have gone so far I hope the series knows leave things while they are good and explore more parts of a story.

Extra points in the episode for having Yuki appear both scary and comforting, that is a little hard to do.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:52 am Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

We see blood running down her arm which I think is safe to assume came from a bite. They already had experience with Kurumi's crush turning so they knew what to expect.

Earlier when they had Yuri scary face Taromaru into obedience it was played for laughs. But here with Miki... What the heck was Yuri intending to do if Miki refused to play along?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 14