• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
School-Live! (TV)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Again, like Monster Musume and Dungeon & Girls, it appears all the manga I touch gets adapted these days.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:32 am Reply with quote
Dealing with reality.
Zombies covered in black fog or blurry.. such a shame.
It would have been better if we could see their faces clearly.
The jump from cheerful to deadly serious is startling..
Test of Courage trip was fruitful & challenging at the same time.
Still, the pot is mostly based on the past & keeping it away from the present.
Not bad, but dropping it anyway..
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:46 am Reply with quote
ookamigirl wrote:
Zombies covered in black fog or blurry.. such a shame.
It would have been better if we could see their faces clearly.

I think the point is that we were seeing it from Kurmi's point, that we saw it covered, looking not human because it would be too hard on her to recognise them as people in needing to kill them. Notice how the fog seemed to disappear when she saw the photo on the phone of what the girl used to be and how it caused her to panic? Call it part of a delusion or something, but it is a popular thing in zombie media for the human to have to convince themselves that it is not a human anymore, and what we saw in this case was a visual representation of that, not a censor.

Well a lot of the other zombies we have seen were either at a distance that our characters themselves would not make out the details, or it was in the dark where we largely got a zombie point of view. I would say other perspectives if they get close might be a possibility, after all this was only the second episode.
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Zombie apocalypse is rather refreshing to see in anime since Highschool of the Dead is really the only other zombie apocalypse anime that I know of. This is rather cool, I'm liking it so far.
louis6578

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
I read the manga, so I know things get better, but I can see why people would complain about the first few episodes. The moe humor doesn't really fit here. I think they should be treating Yuki's inability to accept reality more seriously while keeping the cutesy art style as merely a contrast to the horror and tone, like Madoka Magica or Barefoot Gen.

Yuki's mentality shouldn't be comic relief. It should be... disturbing. The end of episode one played some eerie music when the facade was revealed, and I thought that was perfect. Aside from the tone deaf comedy, however, I think that the first few episodes were great. They're already hinting toward Yuki knowing what's going on and simply fooling herself into thinking that Megu-nee is alive (the hallucination guided her away from the zombie, as if she was telling herself to survive, but not letting herself come to terms with reality).

Only time will tell if this is going to be a psychological, zombie apocalypse horror tale, or a moe/slice of life show that just happens to take place during the zombie apocalypse. I hope it's the former.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, people, use spoiler tags if you're going to talk about upcoming manga content.

Also, regardless of whether it would make the show more like Madoka (and incidentally, almost every time a show has tried to be "more like Madoka", it hasn't gone that well), this show doesn't need to treat Yuki's mentality differently. The show is already doing a good job maintaining the manga's characterization of Yuki as someone (manga spoiler) spoiler[trying to be an over-the-top comic relief character in order to make life easier for her friends, while simultaneously guiding the group towards their goals].

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Please take your own advice and label manga spoilers as manga spoilers, and especially if it's for content that hasn't been reached yet in the anime.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Yttrbio wrote:
Please take your own advice and label manga spoilers as manga spoilers, and especially if it's for content that hasn't been reached yet in the anime.

The sentence includes the word "manga". It includes the word "spoiler", right in front of the big black block of obscured text. How is it not clear that the spoiler is a manga spoiler? Why would I use a spoiler tag in a sentence about the manga if it wasn't to cover up a manga spoiler? What could possibly be under the spoiler tag otherwise?

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but I don't understand why that wasn't an appropriate use of spoiler tags.

Regardless, I changed the sentence so that now it says:
Quote:

The show is already doing a good job maintaining the manga's characterization of Yuki as someone (manga spoiler) spoiler[trying to be an over-the-top comic relief character in order to make life easier for her friends, while simultaneously guiding the group towards their goals].

Instead of:
Quote:

The show is already doing a good job maintaining the manga's characterization of Yuki as someone spoiler[trying to be an over-the-top comic relief character in order to make life easier for her friends, while simultaneously guiding the group towards their goals].

Also, my request had to do with putting spoilers under spoiler tags. That isn't a problem with assuming that people who read your post will understand that a sentence about manga spoilers contains manga spoilers under spoiler tags. It was a problem with people forgetting to even use spoiler tags in the first place.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:45 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Yuki's mentality shouldn't be comic relief. It should be... disturbing.

Um, Yuki's mentality is disturbing. The series is actually doing an excellent job of managing that so far without being heavy-handed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:23 pm Reply with quote
The second episode actually started with the other girls talking about how they are worried about Yuki doing things like talking in an empty room, and saying that almost accidentally went home, that they were worried she might hurt herself. I am pretty sure that is treating it as disturbing, it was indeed wonderfully displayed when she closed the window in the first episode.

But also since I am sure that Megu is also part of her delusions based on appearances over the two episodes, and that it feels like Yuki being happy makes the rest happy. So there is not quite the sense of urgency. I showed a friend of mine, and his response was that they should get rid of her outright, a bit harsh.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
louis6578 wrote:
Yuki's mentality shouldn't be comic relief. It should be... disturbing.

Um, Yuki's mentality is disturbing. The series is actually doing an excellent job of managing that so far without being heavy-handed.

I can see that argument, and while I don't think it should be treated as heavily handed as possible (I don't want all the characters to lock her up in a room for her safety, sitting there crying about how Yuki will never be the same again), I'm not sure how I feel about the rubber-faced comic relief, moe-expressions that they keep giving everyone in a zombie apocalypse story.

But, hey. I'm a huge fan of the Walking Dead who just wants there to be an anime version of The Walking Dead. Maybe I'm disliking this for what I want it to be rather than liking it for what it is. I'm still liking this anime so far, and even as someone who read the manga, I loved the direction of the last scene from episode one.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:38 am Reply with quote
Episode 3:

I find the shifting balance between the classroom sessions and the zombie apocalypse to be fun to watch. Okay, maybe not so fun for the girls and Megumi this week..

As for the episode, I think this adapted something I didn't expect. Some parts were skipped but overall still delivered imo. I like how the episode got from moody, spooky, and then lighthearted again. Also the symbolism....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Cam0

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Well this was more like it! Much more like a zombie apocalypse. This episode was a lot more tense than the previous episodes though we reverted back to the lighthearted present near the end. I wonder when we are going to learn what happened to Megu-nee since it clearly seems like she isn't among the living anymore.

I have slight worries about the direction of this show. I don't like the cute-girls-doing-cute-things stuff and I think Yuki's delusions have already been established well enough that there isn't need to do more cutesy stuff. The setting seems very confined so far so are we going to expand on that by exploring outside of the school or is the whole anime going to take place inside the school. We'll definitely be making more trips to the past, but it could still mean that there's going to be a lot lighthearted cutesy stuff to go through. Maybe the idea is to make us almost forget what's really happening and then periodically show us the harsh reality. I'm just not sure whether I'm going to enjoy those cutesy moments enough to truly appreciate the show. Well fortunately this episode had a very limited amount of silliness so if most episodes end up being like this then I'm all for it.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
I think they're using the "don't show" element well. We never see close ups of the zombies feasting on people, or a clear view of a zombie period. We don't see Kurumi striking down her senpai, and we don't hear it either for that matter. That just enhances the impact. The situation is horric enough on its own, we don't need in your face gore.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:30 pm Reply with quote
I thought this one was pretty boring, we already know what's going to happen (and it's happening by the book) so it just felt like a really slow episode.

At this point the "shock factor" is pretty much gone and I just want the show to decide what it wants to be and deliver on it. Either cute girl doing cute things in zombie setting or just straight up zombie setting. Right now it feel like were instead jumping from one to another but not in a particularly interesting way. The cute girl aspect isn't really taking advantages of the setting and the zombie part is being underwhelmed by how casual the girl are acting, removing any tension.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 14