• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Is binge watching (marathoning) bad for watching anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:15 am Reply with quote
I agree with people who say it really depends on the show. I wouldn't binge watch Watamote for example, as for me it would just get too cringe-y if I watched more than one episode at once. Same with episodic series like Natsume Yuujinchou, I find they're much better dipped in and out of. I tend to prefer marathoning shows which have an overarching plot, as I tend to forget what's going on from week to week otherwise.
kookykonata

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
As everybody else is stating, marathoning is really up to the type of show and viewer.
If you have a show that you are really drawn into the story and can't believe that the episode is over once the credits start rolling, then it is perfectly fine to move on to the next episode right away, if it is available, of course. However, on that same side of the coin, if you are like that for a show, and say you don't watch the next episode immediately for one reason or another, you will have time to revel in what had happened in that particular installment of the series, maybe guessing what may come next (if it isn't obvious) ultimately bringing you back for more and maybe even blowing your mind!

As for a different type of show, say a comedy, it depends on what you are doing while that show is playing and how you are watching it. If you are watching the English dub of the show and are focusing your full attention on it, I would personally suggest to NOT marathon it. You could wind up getting burnt out, realizing that some of the jokes may be overused, etc. But if you are surfing the internet, playing a game, or something else and have the show on the TV for background noise, occasionally glancing up to check it out, then I believe that it would work better to binge on it. Yes, you may miss some key animation details, but you'll generally hear all of the jokes and stuff like that, and causing you to enjoy it a little better. Unfortunately, if the show is subtitled and you don't fluently speak Japanese, I would have to say that a one or two episode max should be put into play. This helps with the pacing and keeps some of the recycled gags fresh and funny.

And finally, no matter what, I personally can't binge watch any "monster of the week" type anime, such as Sailor Moon or anything like that. It gets old too quick.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
I think marathoning works best for short 11-13 episode series that are plot intensive, like Madoka, Ping Pong the Animation, Girls und Panzer, Yuki Yuna is a Hero or Aku no Hana, series that drawn you with it's plot. They are like long movies so watching the whole thing (which lasts about 5 hours, as long as two long movies) feels natural for me, I marathoned all the above series and really enjoyed it.

However, marathoning slice of life or comedy shows is a chore. I tried to marathon Hidamari Sketch and I didn't work at all. Stuff like this is to be watched in small quantities, 1-2 episodes at a time.

So yes, I think it mostly depends on the type of series. Episodic/slice of life stuff should be watched in small quantities, plot driven stuff can be watched in large quantities.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Speaking from personal experience, marathoning can cause one to suffer from anime burnout if they do it too often since it becomes a chore to watch something instead of seeking enjoyment from it. Was bad enough for me last year where I completely gave up on anime for a month to cool off before I returned to it while cutting back on how much I watch all at one time. I've had instances where I completed 12-13 episode TV anime titles in a single day because I marathoned through them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:51 pm Reply with quote
^
Hence why I very rarely watch more than an hour of an anime show a day, since I'll feel motivated to watch more of it. However, if I'm nearing the end of a show and feel peppy enough, I may decide to marathon the last episodes to finish it a bit quicker, just like I did with Comic Party Revolution today in the early hours of daytime.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Jose Cruz wrote:
Quote:
However, marathoning slice of life or comedy shows is a chore.

This is why I say it depends on the individual. I had no trouble marathoning Hidamari Sketch, or Aria or any of the similar shows. It all depends on what you like.

@Ggultra2764
I think burnout comes from pushing yourself to watch shows because they are recommended, are hot, or because you are trying to bring down a backlog. It then becomes a chore and not entertaining. If I have to force myself to watch something, I stop and watch something else. There are always alternatives that fit my mood. I've got a lot of partly finished shows, maybe I'll get back to them, maybe not.
Ghost_Wheel

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
I prefer to marathon slower paced shows I don't have the patience to watch week by week, or shows which I feel are questionable so I can determine whether to finish it. I also like watching anime socially when I can, and that works best in a binge type setting.

The only Top 10 show I caught week by week was From the New World, and that was an amazing experience enhanced for me by drawing it out. I'm cool with that kind of thing, but the show's gotta have content I can chew on for the whole week, and I'd say I get that about once or twice a season. Slice of life and comedy, I wait for it to air and then watch it at my own pace.
Galap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:27 pm Reply with quote
I basically never like to marathon things. Even if it's something I really like, I find I get more out of it if I have time to think about what I'm seeing and notice the little nuances. I like to watch a couple of episodes per day.

For currently airing shows I often tolerate the weekly schedule but would usually prefer the 1-3 eps per day that I usually do. Sometimes I decide to wait till something is finished to go back to it at that pace. The thing that comes most recently to memory that was like that for me is Your Lie in April.

Some shows are better once a week, but usually I only do that for things that are currently airing. Things that fare the best this way for me tend to be things that are maybe visually inventive but kind of silly.

The only show that I'd say was really enhanced by seeing week to week was also From the New World, because like Ghost_Wheel said, each episode was so full of ideas that it was worth thinking about for that long. I'm sure some of my other top favorites would benefit from this, but I didn't watch them that way since they were all already finished. (the one exception is Valvrave, but somehow I think that one would have been better on a daily basis for whatever reason).
ayanami000

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
I think not really. Unless you watch all day long and forget to eat and take a bath. LMAO Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2