• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: XSEED: Corpse Party: Blood Drive Will Not Contain Censorship

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doubleO7

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:28 pm Reply with quote
Wetall wrote:
That is why when Atlus announced they were censoring Dungeon Travelers 2, they said that an AO rating would would be inevitable, as opposed to just saying it was rated AO. In the case with NISA censoring Criminal Girls, they censored it because the staff was trading backdoor emails with someone who was supposedly from the ESRB and acted soley on his "insider" advice, thus bypassing the ratings process (official ratings are decided on a vote).

In both cases, you never actually see the games listed as being rated AO on www.esrb.org whenever they annonce that they're censoring a title--They intended to censor it before they even submit it to the ESRB, without bothering to actually give the official ratings process a chance.

Not one game localized from Japan has ever been through a Manhunt 2-style situation where it was officially rated AO the first time and had to be resubmitted with a censored version.

None of this is correct. These niche publishers most certainly do not have games rated twice.

In at least the case of Dungeon Travelers (maybe Criminal Girls too, but I'm not positive on that one) the publisher consulted with the ESRB before/during the rating process, were told by the ESRB "this content will get your game an AO rating", and proceeded to censor the flagged content. The ESRB does that. They can look over your game before a final rating in given.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:46 pm Reply with quote
sony and ms need to just say forget let parents parent their kids, and let ao titles on their systems. Nintendo will be nintendo, but given the violence sexual content double standard its already questionable how valid the esrb system is, so just allow ao games and be done with it.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
Yes. It's better to not have it at all than to have a censored version.

Then you realize we wouldn't have pretty much any ecchi games in the west with that mentality, right? So you want an entire genre to disappear because the ratings boards force some minor edits? That's a horrible way of thinking.
Wetall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:35 pm Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
In at least the case of Dungeon Travelers (maybe Criminal Girls too, but I'm not positive on that one) the publisher consulted with the ESRB before/during the rating process, were told by the ESRB "this content will get your game an AO rating", and proceeded to censor the flagged content. The ESRB does that. They can look over your game before a final rating in given.

Unless you can cite specifics on any documents released by ESRB, any statements made by non-anonymous representatives in the organization, or any details on their website that indicate they engage in ratings consulting with publishers prior to the ratings process, this statement is dubious at best. The localization companies pay fees to the ESRB to get these games rated--Why would they give them pertinent information used in a rating assignment for no charge at all?

Quote:

Then you realize we wouldn't have pretty much any ecchi games in the west with that mentality, right? So you want an entire genre to disappear because the ratings boards force some minor edits? That's a horrible way of thinking.

It's the same way of thinking within the fandom that has forced anime and manga companies to get out of the 80's and stop messing with content. If they can convince fans that they can easily be forced into engaging in content editing by ratings boards, then they can easily engage in editing content for other reasons outside of that.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Actually, no. My train of thought is pretty correct. You either localize it all, or don't bother. You save your resources for something you can localize unhindered and leave the "questionable title" to a company that might actually have some balls.

This has nothing to do with "having some balls". If the ratings boards block you, they block you. That's exactly what happens. I've already said it before, Atlus, NISA, XSEED, Aksys, etc do NOT have the money or time to risk getting an AO. They unofficially consult with the ratings boards, get up front what's flagged as inappropriate, and modify it appropriately.

Quote:
If a localization company has been in the business of localizing titles for 10-20 years, they themselves should already have some idea of what sort of content is going to be rated AO. However, the ratings process is done by a vote, and the ESRB has rated M on extremely rique games before (Exhibit A: The Senran Kagura series).

This is incorrect. Ratings change. Look at the Hot Coffee incident. That was flagged AO immediately, but in today's world GTA V goes far beyond that and was given an M. Also, Senran Kagura really isn't THAT risque compared to something such as Criminal Girls. Bon Appetite might be on the level but Shinovi Versus and Senran Kagura Burst is really tame in comparison.

Quote:
It may seem cost effective to get an insider "consultant", but if they have to censor something, they risk losing sales by pissing off a consumer base that actually cares about the content in their games. How are they to let one or two company representatives determine the voice of an entire ratings organization that has been exposed to all sorts of questionable crap for nearly two-and-a-half decades now?

You realize these unofficial consultations are done with members of the ratings board, right? It's not like the door man is doing the consultation for them. There's a reason Tom says emailing the ESRB is a completely valid way to know up front what's a problem and what isn't.

Quote:
Actually, I'd rather see them investing the extra time and money assuring their fans that the ESRB was the only factor in their decisions should the need to censor arise (see below) That means exhausting their options by risking an a extra week or two to getting it through the ratings process uncensored. Anything less than that is half-assing it. Plain and simple.

Why do you think it's "just a week or two?" You realize they would have to get hit with the AO flag and go back to the drawing board. From the beginning of the localization process. That's NOT a simple one to two week process. Once they get the unsellable rating they need to decide how to get it down to something sellable, have development code the changes (more time and money), have QA retest the game to make sure nothing broke (more time and money), then get the game rated again. It's not a small setback for a small company and it's simply not an option to go back to the drawing board. For most companies the rating is one of the last things done. That's why you see trailers with "Rating Pending."

Quote:
I never once said it wouldn't work. However, you cannot definitively say that it does work if there's no precedent for it (I.E--localized games have actually been rated AO before).

Erm, what? You said it doesn't work when you disagreed with the unofficial consultations being valid ways to work around the requirement of getting a rating first. The whole point of the consultations is to avoid a precedent.

Quote:
Tom had to fight his peers to ensure the content of Senran Kagura remained unedited, and the ESRB wasn't even a factor in their reasoning--If it weren't for him, we would've gotten even worse editing than the removal of the characters' ages from their descriptions.

Yes, Tom fought his peers, and LOST. That's why the game was censored in the first place. Shinovi Versus by all definitions of the word was modified from its original content. So you calling Shinovi Versus unedited is false.

Quote:
In an industry that doesn't allow AO titles on console games, it's far too easy for companies to censor for their own reasons and use the ESRB as a scapegoat. The only way to definitively prove that they're not dicking around with censoring content is to get an uncensored non-eroge title officially rated AO and have it listed as such on the ESRB's website.

Businesses do not just throw away money like that. Delays in localizations that push back other projects Why would they deliberately submit what they've been told is not going to be sellable only to delay a localization and any potential projects they have in the pipeline? Just to appease a few paranoid gamers? Doesn't seem business savvy to me.

Quote:
Regardless of whether using "backdoor" insiders does work, this sort of practice is unethical as hell. From a consumer standpoint, it does a major disservice to fans that actually partake in such games, because they'll have to deal with watered-down content when it might've not even needed to be.

And as a consumer you have the option to vote with your wallet. You don't have to buy a product you're dissatisfied with. Alternatively if you know Japanese, there's almost always the uncensored product available.

Quote:
From the ESRB's standpoint, it's just as even more unethical. Tom himself has mentioned that the companies using backdoor talks with ESRB "reps" often do so under NDAs, so they don't mention who they talk with. You know why this happens? It's because if the ESRB knew who these "reps" were, they'd fire them for damaging their brand, since they were acting on their behalf behind their backs and disclosing unauthorized information without any official input.

Do you have a source on that? Because that's complete speculation and personal bias. Businesses generally do not want their processes being made pubic. That's why NDA's exist. I'm under one right now for the project I'm on at work. NDA's are standard business practice.

Quote:
If the ESRB rates games on a majority vote, they wouldn't want any single member to have the ability to essentially dictate a publisher's impression of the final outcome of the ratings process.

Why not? How does that hurt the ESRB at all? Literally all they're there to do is rate games.

Quote:
The ESRB is intended to act on behalf of the consumers, not the companies. I don't think self-censorship apologists like you seem to understand this.

The ESRB doesn't exist for consumers. Not by a longshot. They exist for Parents so they can make educated guesses at what is appropriate for their children. They don't exist for adults who know what is appropriate for themselves.

I do like the insult, it's very classy of you, not to mention completely false. I don't like censorship but I'm not against it when a company makes it clear it was needed to be localized. It's not like I didn't buy MonMon until it was $10 because I completely disagreed with IFI's self-censorship. I have no intention of buying Agarest 2 on PC because of how badly Ghostlight handled the release. But nope, I'm clearly a censorship apologist because I believe professional companies have no reason to deliberately lie to their consumers.
terminus24

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:57 pm Reply with quote
I used to buy into the whole "we're gonna censor it so it isn't AO" a little over a year ago since I didn't really play many Western games (Infamous, Uncharted, Call of Duty and Halo were about it), then I got Watch Dogs, which has sex slaves and completely topless women and is still only rated M, and then I started to feel that all this censoring of Japanese games to avoid an AO rating was total BS, considering how pretty much everything I've seen from censored games pretty much doesn't come close to that.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:29 pm Reply with quote
terminus24 wrote:
Watch Dogs, which has sex slaves and completely topless women

Watch dogs doesn't have characters that look like children or in some cases are children though, does it? There's the difference.
Wetall

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:44 pm Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:
This has nothing to do with "having some balls". If the ratings boards block you, they block you. That's exactly what happens. I've already said it before, Atlus, NISA, XSEED, Aksys, etc do NOT have the money or time to risk getting an AO. They unofficially consult with the ratings boards, get up front what's flagged as inappropriate, and modify it appropriately.

Here's the thing: None of these ratings "blocks" are official or definitive. Neither is their supposed inability to devote time or money for correcting a potential ratings complication. You seem to see that these "decisions" are based on something that's based on solid evidence. I'm not seeing it.

If the companies aren't willing to go through the effort to prove their statements, I have no reason to believe them because there are far too many factors that can determine a decision to censor. The ESRB is not the only suspect.

Quote:
This is incorrect. Ratings change. Look at the Hot Coffee incident. That was flagged AO immediately, but in today's world GTA V goes far beyond that and was given an M. Also, Senran Kagura really isn't THAT risque compared to something such as Criminal Girls. Bon Appetite might be on the level but Shinovi Versus and Senran Kagura Burst is really tame in comparison.

So how does the ESRB prove that they know for sure that a game like Criminal Girls is AO and Bon Appetit is M rated if they only see the uncensored version of one of these games? I can't be convinced if a game is tamer or worse just by taking your wole word for it--That's something I decide based on my own opinions and experiences.

You seem to be putting a lot of faith in an ambiguous situation here.

Quote:
You realize these unofficial consultations are done with members of the ratings board, right? It's not like the door man is doing the consultation for them. There's a reason Tom says emailing the ESRB is a completely valid way to know up front what's a problem and what isn't.

Individual members, I might add--You've dodged my question again: How is the opinion of an individual rater supposed to be representative of everyone in the ESRB? Has anyone done any extensive statistical sampling of these raters to prove that there's at least a 95% chance that any individual rater's opinion is able to consistently mirror the the outcome of the actual ratings process they go through when they all come together?

Unless they can say that they've "unofficially" consulted each and every member that will be engaged in the ratings process and have them all "unofficially" rate the game together, there is no proof that any one of them are able to speak for the board as a whole.

Quote:
Why do you think it's "just a week or two?" You realize they would have to get hit with the AO flag and go back to the drawing board. From the beginning of the localization process. That's NOT a simple one to two week process. Once they get the unsellable rating they need to decide how to get it down to something sellable, have development code the changes (more time and money), have QA retest the game to make sure nothing broke (more time and money), then get the game rated again. It's not a small setback for a small company and it's simply not an option to go back to the drawing board. For most companies the rating is one of the last things done. That's why you see trailers with "Rating Pending."

Listen man, the localization companies are probably in a better position to actually provide the ESRB earlier than most other game publishers. With most game devs, they have to work from scratch. With companies like NISA or Atlus that specialize in localization, their games are already complete, and they have full access to the scripts and images that get sampled by the ESRB.

The ESRB doesn't actually play the final product--Their decision are based on questionnaires, screenshots, and trailers that the publishers submit to them. Companies like NISA or Atlus should already have a solid grasp on what kind of information/content to provide by doing an initial playthrough of the Japanese product.

Quote:
Erm, what? You said it doesn't work when you disagreed with the unofficial consultations being valid ways to work around the requirement of getting a rating first. The whole point of the consultations is to avoid a precedent.

It's kinda like a Schrödinger's Cat-style situation. If they seek backdoor consultations, what the "rep" might very well be representative of the rest of the board's opinion, but at the same time, It might not.

The whole situation is build around pure uncertainty. Those companies try to operate on the idea that an individual representative is representative of the organization as a whole, whereas my angle is based on the idea that such an idea is inherrently flawed concept.

So with all this uncertainty, why are you so convinced these games were that unsellable in their original form? Why are you convinced that the ESRB really would rate those games AO if there never has been a precedent?

If anything, we NEED a precedent to establish what the ESRB is going to do, given a certain type of content. Otherwise, there will be no means to change them, if we even need one in the first place.

Quote:
Yes, Tom fought his peers, and LOST. That's why the game was censored in the first place. Shinovi Versus by all definitions of the word was modified from its original content. So you calling Shinovi Versus unedited is false.

Touché. I suppose I can actually agree, although given how Tom seemed to be ready to quit during the whole ordeal, I get the impression that we were in for much worse. Suppose it depends on your tolerances for content editing.

This excludes Bon Appetit, by the way. That game never had any ages listed in the original.

Quote:
Businesses do not just throw away money like that. Delays in localizations that push back other projects Why would they deliberately submit what they've been told is not going to be sellable only to delay a localization and any potential projects they have in the pipeline? Just to appease a few paranoid gamers? Doesn't seem business savvy to me.

Here's the thing--I don't immediately assume a game is unsellable based on one person's opinion. NISA, for example, has gotten a lot of flak over the years for introducing numerous bugs and translation liberties in their localizations. The recent censorship issue is just at the top of the long list of greivances.

Don't you think it would be in their interest to actually go the extra effort to assure their fans that they're at least trying to release something uncensored and have something to show for it, instead of expecting everyone to take their word for it whenever censorship does happen?

For all the talk you make about them engaging in "business as usual", where's the consumer element in any of this?

Quote:
And as a consumer you have the option to vote with your wallet. You don't have to buy a product you're dissatisfied with. Alternatively if you know Japanese, there's almost always the uncensored product available.

No need to worry about me not buying censored games, I'm way ahead of you on that. Here's the thing, though: How am I supposed to get them to stop if I don't at least call out on those companies and the people that defend them? If all they hear on messageboards are comments full of sympathy and satisfaction, then that's the only impression they're get for fans. I don't like that. Not one bit.

I know Japanese, and I have imported titles plety of times before.

However, I don't ignore a botched localization just because there's an "uncensored Japanese version" to fall back on. Why? Because I fully understand and empathize with people who are unable or unwilling to learn Japanese. I actually appreciate the sheer amount of work involved in getting to learning a new foreign language. How long did it take for you to learn your primary language? The answer: It took you from when you first spoke it to the last time you uttered or read a single word.

It's an ongoing process, one that doesn't just end with taking a class or reading a book. It keeps going on and on, and some people just have neither the time, money, resources, or the willpower to do just that. Why the hell should those guys somehow be forced to settle for watered-down content?

I want their stuff to come over here unhindered, regardless of anyone's ability to speak Japanese. That's the whole point. This is the why localization companies need to be held responsible out for their actions.

Quote:
Do you have a source on that? Because that's complete speculation and personal bias. Businesses generally do not want their processes being made pubic.

Perhaps it is personal bias, but considering the fact that there's nothing really preventing them from censoring anything, there's nothing to prove they don't have biases of their own. There's plenty of examples of games that have been censored without the ESRB even being a factor in their decisions--I believe another poster on this topic already mentioned one such game.

How am I to believe it wasn't also a factor with Criminal Girls or DT2? The only way you can get away with pinning the blame on the ESRB on an act of censorship is to actually get the game rated AO beforehand. Otherwise, I have no reason to be convinced that this was purely the ESRB's doing.

It works both ways. If they don't want to be a little more transparent with how they do things, then they aren't going to get any good PR from guys like me.

Quote:
Why not? How does that hurt the ESRB at all? Literally all they're there to do is rate games.

Here are two questions for you: I've heard ridiculous claims by fans that ESRB is a censorship organization. Do you think the ESRB wants to be labled this way? You really think it would look good on ESRB to appear as though they're engaging in backdoor talks with publishers to contribute to what can be perceived as de-facto censorship?

I highly doubt it.

Quote:
The ESRB doesn't exist for consumers. Not by a longshot. They exist for Parents so they can make educated guesses at what is appropriate for their children. They don't exist for adults who know what is appropriate for themselves.

Parents are consumers, dude. The fact that they have to "consume" money for products they intend to hand off to their children makes them consumers by default. You don't have to directly partake in the games material to actually become a "consumer" in the slightest.

Besides, do you really have that much faith in people that you believe there isn't such a thing as an adult who doesn't know what is or isn't appropriate? Do you really think all adults are able to tolerate mature content equally? Why do you believe that the ESRB exists for the sole benefit of children?

There is no excuse for these sorts of practices or trying to defend them. As long as the localization companies keep hiding behind scapegoats and people trying to constantly cover for them, our little niche market is never going to break any barriers.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
I never realized how much I loathe the inability to quote all until that last reply. Anyways.

Quote:
So how does the ESRB prove that they know for sure that a game like Criminal Girls is AO and Bon Appetit is M rated if they only see the uncensored version of one of these games? I can't be convinced if a game is tamer or worse just by taking your wole word for it--That's something I decide based on my own opinions and experiences.

You seem to be putting a lot of faith in an ambiguous situation here.

The way I see it, the uncensored version was submitted by both publishers of those games and they said "check this out, do we have a problem with any of this content." From what Tom has said, this is how the unofficial consultations work. Bon Appetit came back with no issues, according to NISA, Criminal Girls did. I am putting according to NISA in there specifically because I know what'll come next. I am willing to trust a professional company's word on what they've said they did. In my opinion, NISA gains nothing from lying to their consumers. They only have things to lose if something leaks that they've been lying about what needs to be censored. All it would take is one begrudged employee to start rumors, rumors that have a fair semblance of truth to them. That's why I don't believe Atlus or NISA is lying when they say Dungeon Traveler's 2 and Criminal Girls needed to be censored as per the ratings boards. You're not willing to take their word, which is fine, but your only provided alternative to believe the companies in question is that they risk a lot of time and money on making you believe them. That's not in a companies best interest.

Quote:
Individual members, I might add--You've dodged my question again: How is the opinion of an individual rater supposed to be representative of everyone in the ESRB? Unless they can say that they've "unofficially" consulted each and every member that will be engaged in the ratings process and have them all "unofficially" rate the game together, there is no proof that any one of them are able to speak for the board as a whole.

Do we know it's an individual's perspective? I've never seen any documentation from publishers on who or how many handle the unofficial consultation. For all we know the ESRB could have a round table meeting set aside for publisher questions like these. Unless there's a source confirming only a single individual looks at publisher emails, we simply don't know. I'm not willing to condemn someone without knowing the facts.

Quote:
So with all this uncertainty, why are you so convinced these games were that unsellable in their original form? Why are you convinced that the ESRB really would rate those games AO if there never has been a precedent?

The answer for me at least is simple. I believe their professional publishers word. Is it a weak reason? Absolutely. Do I have reason to fully trust them, no I definitely do not, but at the same time, do I have a real reason to believe they're lying to me when the risk of being exposed as a company that lies to its consumers could only be one bad fired employee away?

Quote:
Here are two questions for you: I've heard ridiculous claims by fans that ESRB is a censorship organization. Do you think the ESRB wants to be labled this way? You really think it would look good on ESRB to appear as though they're engaging in backdoor talks with publishers to contribute to what can be perceived as de-facto censorship?

I highly doubt it.

Realistically, I don't think the ESRB would care about their reputation. I really don't. All they're there for is to rate games. Games aren't exactly taken too seriously by non-gaming adults.

Quote:
Parents are consumers, dude. The fact that they have to "consume" money for products they intend to hand off to their children makes them consumers by default. You don't have to directly partake in the games material to actually become a "consumer" in the slightest.

Besides, do you really have that much faith in people that you believe there isn't such a thing as an adult who doesn't know what is or isn't appropriate? Do you really think all adults are able to tolerate mature content equally? Why do you believe that the ESRB exists for the sole benefit of children?

There is no excuse for these sorts of practices or trying to defend them. As long as the localization companies keep hiding behind scapegoats and people trying to constantly cover for them, our little niche market is never going to break any barriers.

While Parents are consumers, they're consumers for their children when they're buying games for them. It's true a parent could also be a gamer who consumes for themselves but I imagine for the most part a parent buys for their kid. It definitely is becoming more common that parent and child game together though.

As for adults who can't handle some content, I agree there are some, but that ultimately shouldn't be something a ratings board is in charge of. Adults should be able to choose for themselves what is content for them. I agree that a mental health issue may cause an adult to be unable to make that distinction on what they can or can't handle.

In the end I feel the ratings boards and console owners (sony/microsoft/nintendo/Steam) have too much power. The console owners instantly block anything AO, which is an 18+ rating. The problem I have with the ESRB is that there is not a sellable option for adults. PEGI and CERO both have classifications for adults that can be sold in stores and on consoles, PEGI 18 and CERO Z. The ESRB does not have that. The ESRB goes from 17 to 18+ and the 18+ option is NOT sellable on consoles.

I also have a problem with the ESRB and Steam censoring visual novels on that platform. I feel there's no reason you can have Witcher 3 and GTA V on Steam, but Grisaia needs to be released all ages on the same platform.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:24 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
razisgosu wrote:

Would you rather see them cancel the product because a second submission and a 6 month delay makes it unviable for them to release it?

Yes. It's better to not have it at all than to have a censored version.

From a company's standpoint, some sales is better than no sales. Some sales, they can still make money; no sales, unless they have another game ready to work on, they're still paying rent and costs but no income coming in.

CrownKlown wrote:

sony and ms need to just say forget let parents parent their kids, and let ao titles on their systems. Nintendo will be nintendo, but given the violence sexual content double standard its already questionable how valid the esrb system is, so just allow ao games and be done with it.

Not only don't major consoles allow AO on their systems but major retailers also refuse to carry 'em, plus there are also advertising restrictions on AO games - all of these things combined restrict the saleability and monetary viability doing an AO release; that's why the AO-rating is called the kiss of death because, unless they can keep the costs down or expect to sell enough copies, it's almost a guaranteed money-loser for a company.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:05 am Reply with quote
Wetall wrote:
Unless you can cite specifics on any documents released by ESRB, any statements made by non-anonymous representatives in the organization, or any details on their website that indicate they engage in ratings consulting with publishers prior to the ratings process, this statement is dubious at best. The localization companies pay fees to the ESRB to get these games rated--Why would they give them pertinent information used in a rating assignment for no charge at all?

The only thing I can cite is information straight from Atlus who openly stated that this is exactly what they did.

This is a word-for-word statement from an Atlus rep who was in communication with Kotaku when the censorship announcement was made:
Quote:
Atlus actually consulted with the ESRB prior to submitting. They helped identify which images would be an issue, and we took their feedback to the developer to change the images appropriately.

Atlus sure made it sound like this is some kind of service the ESRB offers or is at least something they're open to doing before a game is rated. One would think that if this were some kind of shady, under-the-table consultation Atlus wouldn't be so willing to talk about it publicly.
0nsen

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote
razisgosu wrote:

If we can't have them unaltered* it's better to not have them at all, yes. I won't buy anything with altered content, that is for sure.

*Changing or omitting the age of characters is just as bad.

[Edit]: removed personal comment. Errinundra.
razisgosu

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
razisgosu wrote:

If we can't have them unaltered* it's better to not have them at all, yes. I won't buy anything with altered content, that is for sure.

I don't want to punish publishers for doing what they need to do to sell a product. I'll buy what changes I find acceptable to me and voice my opinion when I simply cannot support a product due to what was removed.
ishmael

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:02 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
razisgosu wrote:

[Edit]: removed personal comment. Errinundra.

I hate, HATE censorship, but I can't get behind this. I'd rather a company censors something, but we get it, than not getting it at all. It's entirely your right not to buy something that has been changed/censored, I probably would do the same, BUT my (and yours) personal preferences shouldn't decide whether or not someone else gets the game (or anime, or what have you).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
I agree with you, because people tend to buy what they love, despite any pesky qualms.

But these companies should also learn that censorship has a price, and that is reduced sales.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3