• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Ranpo Kitan: Game of Laplace (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:55 pm Reply with quote
#10:

Continuation of the arc started last week. Somewhat obligatory episode illustrating who Namekoshi is and his character and motivations. A really twisted background was needed to justify the actions of the person who created the world's most advanced killing program and I can't say I'm disappointed with what the producers decided to go with.

What's interesting is Kobayashi's reactions to the story as he bore witness to the events of Namekoshi's past. Especially troubling was the smile he had when he saw the results of the program's "test phase". It's with this episode and Kobayashi's comment at the end which shows how much he has in common with Namekoshi and how different he is to the misanthropic but equally gifted Akechi.

If Akechi and co. only partially solved the killer program, then the remaining members are running out of time if they wish to stop the phenomenon once and for all. This is not an adaptation that will see a sequel so how the pacing is set up for the remaining episodes should determine how memorable the show is when all is said and done.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Namikoshi feels like a stereotypical villain tbh.

This episode pretty much establishes the buildup towards the finale. It felt rushed but I do have to admit that the amount of symbolism and info dumping was sufficient. My guess is that his plan will ultimately fall apart in the end and he realizes his own mistakes. I could be wrong though but we'll see next week.

Also curious to see who else will play major roles in the finale....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode 10

This is a case where I don't blame the villain, in fact I think I am kind of going for it. They have gone after people who were really truly bad, and the law would not touch them.

What he should have been able to do was go to the police, even going to the hospital himself. I imagine criminal charges could be placed on not only his father, but his mother and his teacher. At least in a number of countries inaction can be as bad as action, and if a teacher suspects a child may be abused then they have to report it to the authorities or they get into a lot of trouble. Yes, the teacher could be charged for not interfering with either of his sources of abuse.

Actually, if you have been the victim of bullies then you might also be somewhat aware that asking for help is extremely hard, you can feel completely helpless and alone. That he did was he did is not really a surprise, and I entirely blame it on no one actively trying to change the situation because when you are in that place the only way you can feel a way out is by suddenly lashing out when the stress gets too high. I can't imagine getting abused at home in addition.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Personally I'm still trying to get over the ridiculousness of a math equation being able to predict things exactly.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
I was primed years ago by Asimov's Foundation Trilogy, so that doesn't bother me so much. Smile
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2015 5:31 am Reply with quote
In a sci-fi epic like that, I'd have no problem believing it. But here it's something made by two middle schoolers where you can determine stuff like "If I tilt this mail box flag a few degrees to the left, it'll cause that guy I hate to get hit by a bus!"
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
#11:

Pyrrhic victory in the end. Plenty of suicide victims, a missing Namekoshi and the 20-face vigilante phenomenon well and truly independent from its creator's original plan. I'm not sure if the ending was what was desired when it was the process of getting there which might be more relevant to the viewer.

At least Hashiba came in useful for something other than playing the role of the "normal" person looking in at an abnormal situation and cast of characters. Even the S&M companions of the lizard came in useful as muscle in this episode.

One of the most unusual series I've seen thus far, it wasn't quite what I was expecting despite its mystery elements but very enjoyable nonetheless. Three more series to go before this quarter ends for me.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I think this episode was how I felt about the series as a whole in a nutshell. There were some emotional ups (albeit cliche ones), and several comedic downs, no real consistency in the tone, and a somewhat underwhelming plot. Direction, art and music, however, were top notch, since I really like the theatrical thing it does.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 (finale):

Eh.....
That was pretty underwhelming for the final episode. Well to say this in an easy way....

I think the show was nice in the beginning or at least it kept me interested with the body horror and mystery stuff. Then...it just kinda lost steam together.

I also felt the final two episodes were really rushed and lacked concrete development. I never really thought Namikoshi and Twenty Faces were memorable in the end or any of the main characters. The artistic visuals were nice though and I thought the ED theme song was one of the prettiest I've heard for this Fall Season. Hoping The Perfect Insider will be better.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, in the end the show was pretty meh. Just wasn't engaging as a mystery series and I didn't care that much for the characters (Shadow Man is fun, though). Being a total sausage fest didn't help either.

It did have some pretty visuals but it definitely came across as a show that was trying so hard to be artsy and deep that it forgot to have a heart. It invokes apathy in me more than anything.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 9:32 pm Reply with quote
That ANN/Funimation feature about how the series was updating Edogawa's stories which were in turn largely influenced by Edgar Alan Poe really helped me to appreciate this series. I saw how they weren't exactly supposed to mysteries as much as updated versions of the more disturbing of Edogawa's work. That's a cool ambition.

Unfortunately, in their attempt to ramp up and modernize whatever story they were adapting with the key 20 Faces story, I have to see it as a failure. I assume the original tale was something on a smaller, intimate scale. But no, it couldn't be about one guy inspiring a select few to commit vengeance murders, it had to be some silly giant chaos theory model set to change the world.

And when you get to the end you just have to accept ridiculous leaps of faith to think this idea was remotely possible because the one thing they definitely could not do is explain it. It may as well been mass hypnosis or magic for all the sense it made.

I think what I kept watching for was to see more about Kobayashi. They never just went and said it, but the kid is a straight up psychopath. Maybe more of one than Twenty Faces- who might have been more of a sociopath. Sociopaths are made, psychopaths are born that way.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Episode 11 (finale)

I have a hard time not sympathising with the "villains". Well you could say the series had two types of villains, the type we saw earlier on, and the later more 20 faces villains. What is worst, paedophile who steals and kills innocent children, or a examiner out on revenge for a corrupt doctor.

One group is truly sick, perhaps their issues are not entirely within their control, but the system gives them leeway and allows them to commit crimes again. The other knows what they are doing, but they are arguably also sick as a result of what others do, and they act because no one will listen. You actually might take a couple others, the ones who know what they are doing but a protected by society's law, who take advantage of the second, and end up the victims. And then you have maybe some like the bag wearing character, possibly sick, they are harmless, but the law might still punish them.

As a collection of a series, it is a bit of a mess, I often could not say what would happen next, and it was not out of saying that it was a good mystery, but that it really had no good way to set expectations. Individually, there was some nice artwork, symbolism and such, but maybe it struggled a bit at bringing proper focus to those parts to have it all stand together. Bring more focus to the fact two of the main characters see people who do not interest them differently with one as blank outline and the other has an art figure, because I get the feeling a number of people might still be confused.

Overall, it was not too harsh, I get a bit of a weak stomach for gore and certain types of horror, that I was afraid if it progressed from the first case that I have a really hard time. The series almost makes me think of like a prequel to Psycho Pass, thematically. I give my rating of So-so, it did not grab my attention that much, but at least I did not end up as distressed as I did from parts of Psycho Pass.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5