• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Fight to Survive

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:15 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks offers a fancy collector's edition if you'd like a big box and some extra merchandise, but even the standard version that I reviewed has more extras than the average Sentai release. Along with the usual trailers and clean opening and ending, the second disc has a handful of interviews and behind the scenes videos. Given the show's unusual animation style, it's kind of interesting to see how everything gets put together. Unless you really want a poster and some postcards, the regular release might be the way to go for this one.

Regarding Knights of Sidonia, I'm surprised Paul didn't mention the director's cut of each episode with the extended ending as part of the bonus. While the other bonuses are nice and certainly un-Sentai like, I consider the non-Netflix video track to be a much more critical extra.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
I have all three of the Mardock Scramble BD's. Just need to find the time to enjoy them.

Will have to take a look at the Knights of Sidonia, sounds just like my type of Science Fiction.

Now for Yuki Yuna, from what I have already watched, I wouldn't mind owning it. Especially with those racy covers on the boxes. But even if I was willing to let Pony Canyon vacuum my wallet out, you have to get three boxes for all 12 episodes. Hell, I've gotten all five LE's for Kill la Kill, my extreme love for that show ensured I had to have the LE's, but they take up the space of ten BD's. Considering my current anime collection and space considerations I may end up taking Justins's route. For those who have bought the first volume, just how wide is the spine of the LE box for Yuki Yuna?
Raebo101

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Andy McAvin, in contrast, sounds awkward as Oeufcoque – too much like Rune's parent. It makes it uncomfortable when their relationship takes a romantic turn on Rune's part.

Eh, I actually preferred Andy McAvin's take on Oeufcoque and thought he gave one of the better preformances in the dub. His and Rune's relationship also worked for me. To each their own.
myskaros

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:40 am Reply with quote
How do you talk to your cat about evolution?
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:03 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
For those who have bought the first volume, just how wide is the spine of the LE box for Yuki Yuna?

I may have measured the second volume, rather than the first, but my tape measure seemed to think that it was 2cm (+/- 1mm?).
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
A few notes concerning some of the weirder things on my shelves:

Arrow "Schoolgirl Outfit Gundam" can wear the grey and purple SD Gundam Kill la Kill-style, but I haven't put her kit together yet. Also, the grey and purple guy can transform into an elephant... and is supposed to be based on a character from "Romance of the Three Kingdoms."

Arrow The "zombified sphinx" bookends are Arcane Legions wargaming figurines.

Arrow "Goldorak" is the name of Go Nagai's UFO Robot Grendizer in French-speaking countries. I ordered it from Protoculture Addicts back when that was still a thing.

Arrow The Escaflowne discs are all VCDs, except for the film on DVD. The spines were made out of an old Newtype ad for the show's laserdisc release.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
To paraphrase The Simpsons: "Knights of Sidonia turned into a harem anime so gradually I barely even noticed!"

KoS has a harem-as-humor problem. By the middle of Season 1, there are quite a few female characters interested in the clueless, socially stunted MC. It bugs me because it just seems so out of place in an otherwise well thought out science fiction drama. In any case, I'm looking forward to season 2's Netflix debut.

Mardock Scramble has been on my "to watch" list for a while, especially since I enjoyed the over-the-top second season of Psycho-Pass. Sounds even better, but I'm more cautious because I didn't realize how much abuse was involved..
geishageek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:10 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
For those who have bought the first volume, just how wide is the spine of the LE box for Yuki Yuna?

They are not any bigger than 2 normal BR discs, maybe one and a half. I only took photos of the front and back covers for scale with a full size pair of scissors when I added them to my collection. No side shots.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
To paraphrase The Simpsons: "Knights of Sidonia turned into a harem anime so gradually I barely even noticed!"

KoS has a harem-as-humor problem. By the middle of Season 1, there are quite a few female characters interested in the clueless, socially stunted MC. It bugs me because it just seems so out of place in an otherwise well thought out science fiction drama. In any case, I'm looking forward to season 2's Netflix debut.

Mardock Scramble has been on my "to watch" list for a while, especially since I enjoyed the over-the-top second season of Psycho-Pass. Sounds even better, but I'm more cautious because I didn't realize how much abuse was involved..

It's definitely a show that could be so much better if you cut out the stupid harem antics and anime humor,which really are out of place in this type of show. Also the characters pretty dull for the most part. I am aware that Tsutomu Nihei in general is not a strong character writer,and excels at world-building and hard Sci-Fi.
Zetabag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:

Its been almost a year since I've seen season 1, but from what recall the Harem aspect gets significantly down played after the first six episodes.

Midorikawa gets promoted to the commander's aide which means she doesn't have time to go chasing after Tanikaze, and Hoshijiro spoiler[ gets killed off]. I don't recall any of the pink haired clones showing any romantic interest in the MC. This means there is really only one person (Izana) going after the MC.
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:08 pm Reply with quote
If it follows the manga, the harem stuff might actually get worse in s2 (and those pink-haired girls are a part of it, as Tanikaze spoiler[walks in on them changing].
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:11 pm Reply with quote
I received the Tsubasa & xxxHolic S.A.V.E. in the mail this week (actually, it was part of an order that included some July/August releases, but RightStuf was nice enough to send it to me by itself on release day with free shipping).

Tsubasa is about a group of bishie boys who travel from world to world in search of magic feathers, homoerotic subtext, and references to other CLAMP series. Every once and a while, they need a magical something in order to whatever, so they call the bishies from xxxHolic, who go on adventures with an alcoholic space witch. You don't really need to know anything other than that to enjoy these movies.

Anyway, it honestly felt like a steal to get two feature-length animated films for under ten bucks. If you've ever bought a S.A.V.E. before, then you know what to expect: nice art on the discs, see-through cases with pretty interior artwork, and that ugly neon green spine that I'm starting to tolerate.
Barbobot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:14 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Anyway, it honestly felt like a steal to get two feature-length animated films for under ten bucks. If you've ever bought a S.A.V.E. before, then you know what to expect: nice art on the discs, see-through cases with pretty interior artwork, and that ugly neon green spine that I'm starting to tolerate.

I always flip around the disc cover to put the puke green on the inside. I have xxxHolic, Utawarerumono, and Welcome to the NHK in the SAVE editions and all 3 are designed for it to be reversible like that. I also have Suzuka, but for some reason that SAVE edition doesn't have the same artwork and spine to suggest it's reversible so I'm stuck looking at the green on that one.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
I always flip around the disc cover to put the puke green on the inside. I have xxxHolic, Utawarerumono, and Welcome to the NHK in the SAVE editions and all 3 are designed for it to be reversible like that. I also have Suzuka, but for some reason that SAVE edition doesn't have the same artwork and spine to suggest it's reversible so I'm stuck looking at the green on that one.

Wow, I can't believe I never noticed that. I'll have to check my S.A.V.E. cases tonight.

Edit: oh, of course. I've only ever bought S.A.V.E. releases that had DVD "trays"; these always obscured the spine portion of the interior artwork, so I never realized that the covers were reversible.

At any rate, this release is reversible, too.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Gabriella's review of Mardock Scamble was very interesting. The focus was so much on the metaphorical aspect its no wonder the conclusion was that she felt lost with regard to the plot. The series is made of the crazypants stuff I love about anime but that does make it hard to make sense of it all.

I missed much of the symbolic conclusions Gabriella reached, but in trade for a better understanding of the plot. Laughing

Maybe 2-3 viewings are in order here.

Quote:
What exactly is Oeufcoque?

If memory serves me (it's been like 3 years since the 2nd entry where it was explained), I believe Ouefcoque was described as a man made, experimental, "trans-dimensional" being of some sorts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3