• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:58 pm Reply with quote
So in other notes, and so we can talk about something other than art style of female bodies, I like Zou.

Still it's reliance on Flashbacks kind of bothers me, a flashback here and there is okay provided they don't drag too long but when your arc is just Flashback city it gets tiring really quick. I know a lot of people in one piece swear by the flashbacks but for me they're kinda boring. I prefer the now, not 6 chapters/episodes telling me another bleak and tragic backstory that's meant to make me feel bad for a character.

Also side note because Luffy acts like this in relation to flashbacks, just once I wish a protagonist actually gave a shit about the people around them and how they've suffered and not just endless uses of the trope "I don't care I do what I want!". It just gets tiring after a while it's just like for once could you give a crap about the important people in our life, and they all do it Luffy, Naruto, Natsu, Ichigo, Soma, etc. Can one of these "upstanding" gentlemen give a damn about what others have gone through.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
It's not a traditional flashback, but rather, the Zou arc is told in anachronic order, since parts of it take place at the same time as the tail end of the Dressrosa arc.

There are some theories floating around that Luffy actually IS listening and cares very much, but that he prefers to make people think he's an idiot for reasons known only to him (the most common one being to get opponents to underestimate him, which has happened repeatedly to where Doflamingo was an aversion for taking him seriously). A lot of these flashbacks are for the reader or viewer only though, without actually there being someone in-universe telling it to someone else.

Even then, it's plainly evident Luffy feels quite strongly to those he sees as his friends and allies. There is little that offends Luffy more than seeing any of them being harmed and subdued for unjust reasons. The bulk of the CP9 story is exactly that.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:16 pm Reply with quote
This was one of the best episodes of the arc, if not the entire year so far.
Zou has had such a great color pallete and art direction that help add to the general atmosphere.
Capone was looking even more sinister than he did in the manga. I know Hiroaki Hirata (Sanji's seiyuu) must have been anxious to get to this portion of the arc.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:54 am Reply with quote
"Dressrosa Saga." "Big Mom Saga." To someone who knows nothing about One Piece, those must sound so weird.

MasterKingJC wrote:
This was one of the best episodes of the arc, if not the entire year so far.
Zou has had such a great color pallete and art direction that help add to the general atmosphere.
Capone was looking even more sinister than he did in the manga. I know Hiroaki Hirata (Sanji's seiyuu) must have been anxious to get to this portion of the arc.

I was looking forward to Capone's big move ever since I first saw him in the manga. His very demeanor and fighting style looked like he was getting set up for something big, and now it begins.

I know he's not that popular in Japan, but he's my favorite Supernova who isn't on the Straw Hat Pirates. But I think it's because I like mobster stories.
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Why did they skip brook song on episode 762??
Sam Leach

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:50 pm Reply with quote
TheConqueror wrote:
Why did they skip brook song on episode 762??

I'm hoping they're just saving it for later, in a more Cat Viper centric episode. Hoping.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:04 am Reply with quote
So everyone loves the Raizo was there the whole time revelation, but as stellar as that scene is it makes ZERO logical sense. I get Kink society is different but I find it Impossible that there's not one kid looking to save his own hide by throwing him under the bus or one Mother watch Jack beat up her kis that would just tell him.

The scene is great but it's pretty silly and unbelievable if you look at it for more than a few seconds.
vanfanel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:28 am Reply with quote
Well done, Oda, well done. I never saw the end of this episode coming. What a moment!
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
So everyone loves the Raizo was there the whole time revelation, but as stellar as that scene is it makes ZERO logical sense. I get Kink society is different but I find it Impossible that there's not one kid looking to save his own hide by throwing him under the bus or one Mother watch Jack beat up her kis that would just tell him.

The scene is great but it's pretty silly and unbelievable if you look at it for more than a few seconds.

It's called loyalty, they're a close knit race as we've seen the past 10 or so episodes and their loyal to their King their bonds and promises.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

This is the difference between American society and a society like Japan. I don't say that as a "rah rah, yay Nihon" kind of comment, I'm just saying it is a difference of societal expectations and norms. (and why you wouldn't see this story in American media) The minks are vassals of the samurai family and especially in that case, the individual is NOT more important than the society they uphold. (that seems illogical since Raizo is an "individual" but he represents the bushido order and devotion to the feudal SYSTEM)

It's similar to the story (historical event) of the 47 ronin. 47 men who devoted their lives to the cause of their DEAD lord and then all committed seppuku after completing their task. They stay committed to a "pointless" (but honorable) cause that they KNOW leads straight to their death, because that is what their honor and place in society demands.

There are plenty of people in One Piece that are more "normal" (and not "bad") like all the people of Dressrosa that attempted to do exactly what you say, which is give up their king and others to save their own lives. That doesn't make them BAD people, it just makes them a different TYPE of people that don't follow the same code.
TheConqueror

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Wow this episode is on another level.

I literally cried watching this episode, even though I already read the manga. Toei did a great job. The person who directed Heart of gold special did this episode. I wish he would direct all the episodes "Sigh"
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 4:09 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

It's called loyalty, they're a close knit race as we've seen the past 10 or so episodes and their loyal to their King their bonds and promises.

So you're telling me that you could go to a random town and hideout from some debts only to find out the mob is now systematically attacking and mutilating innocent people and none of them will tell them where you are just because they're loyal to a friend?

That would never happen, someone would save their own skin, someone would save their relatives and loved ones before giving a damn about a glorified stranger.

I get this is a fantasy story, I have enough logic to ignore it and enjoy the story, what I don't like is that people are calling it one of the greatest one piece moments when it makes 0% realistic or logical sense. The moment with Robin on the balcony crying for help is realistic, a normal person would do those things. No town of normal people/animal people would all let themselves get nearly killed for some guy they barely know because their ancestors were old buddies.
ShadowDZero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 11:53 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

So you're telling me that you could go to a random town and hideout from some debts only to find out the mob is now systematically attacking and mutilating innocent people and none of them will tell them where you are just because they're loyal to a friend?

That would never happen, someone would save their own skin, someone would save their relatives and loved ones before giving a damn about a glorified stranger.

I get this is a fantasy story, I have enough logic to ignore it and enjoy the story, what I don't like is that people are calling it one of the greatest one piece moments when it makes 0% realistic or logical sense. The moment with Robin on the balcony crying for help is realistic, a normal person would do those things. No town of normal people/animal people would all let themselves get nearly killed for some guy they barely know because their ancestors were old buddies.

I suggest you take a Multi-Cultural Communication class. Logically, it makes sense. It is a different society. Each society has different standards, different behaviors. You would be surprised what the shared values are in some countries in the real world. The minks are a small country that has been brought up to be loyal beyond anything else. The population density makes it more likely for everyone to follow their shared values. You may think of it as "Why is there not a single kid that watches their family suffer and doesn't do anything" While, if you put your self in their shoes, they may be thinking "My family member is suffering for our values, I will stand along with them and not make their suffering meaningless." You cannot decide other cultures worldview. We all have a world view based on our culture. Just be a little more open minded and logical when looking at other culture's behaviors.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:02 pm Reply with quote
ShadowDZero wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:

I suggest you take a Multi-Cultural Communication class. Logically, it makes sense. It is a different society. Each society has different standards, different behaviors. You would be surprised what the shared values are in some countries in the real world. The minks are a small country that has been brought up to be loyal beyond anything else. The population density makes it more likely for everyone to follow their shared values. You may think of it as "Why is there not a single kid that watches their family suffer and doesn't do anything" While, if you put your self in their shoes, they may be thinking "My family member is suffering for our values, I will stand along with them and not make their suffering meaningless." You cannot decide other cultures worldview. We all have a world view based on our culture. Just be a little more open minded and logical when looking at other culture's behaviors.

Look I know different cultures are different and this series is all make believe.

But I'm talking basic fight or flight psychology and human condition here. This isn't about communications between culutres this is about logic and the mind. No person would ever think like this in such a blanket way. The odds of a whole society teaming to protect a stranger would never happen. Maybe it if it was just goverment people hiding a secret but the individual civilions on Zou have ZERO incentive to protect Raizo other than their leaders are, the older Minks may have associated tightly with the Samurai but the young kids haven't and therefor have zero incentive to protect them. Jack's deal is 100% better, they save themselves and their family and lose nothing but the weight of selling the guy out.

I'm all for saying this is just fun for fantasy, but you would never NEVER find a society of that number in this world that would ever do something like this. 100+ people all letting themselves be killed for some guy they only recently met, it would never happen, at least 1 person would save themselves or their family before they'd save you, the guy they just met. I'm not trying to sound depressing but you have way too much faith in human society to think we could ever pull this off in real life.

Also again I know it's fantasy I'm just saying if you think about it for a little bit some of the luster is lost because of how unbelievable it is.
ShadowDZero

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
ShadowDZero wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:

Look I know different cultures are different and this series is all make believe.

But I'm talking basic fight or flight psychology and human condition here. This isn't about communications between culutres this is about logic and the mind. No person would ever think like this in such a blanket way. The odds of a whole society teaming to protect a stranger would never happen. Maybe it if it was just goverment people hiding a secret but the individual civilions on Zou have ZERO incentive to protect Raizo other than their leaders are, the older Minks may have associated tightly with the Samurai but the young kids haven't and therefor have zero incentive to protect them. Jack's deal is 100% better, they save themselves and their family and lose nothing but the weight of selling the guy out.

I'm all for saying this is just fun for fantasy, but you would never NEVER find a society of that number in this world that would ever do something like this. 100+ people all letting themselves be killed for some guy they only recently met, it would never happen, at least 1 person would save themselves or their family before they'd save you, the guy they just met. I'm not trying to sound depressing but you have way too much faith in human society to think we could ever pull this off in real life.

Also again I know it's fantasy I'm just saying if you think about it for a little bit some of the luster is lost because of how unbelievable it is.

"A society of THAT number" What number? The Minks are no more than 300-500. It is believable that a group like that can agree to something. Also they don't have to agree. If they are a high-context society. (Which they are) they will do it out of the pure education they were brought up with. I'm sorry, you can think of this a make believe story. But I really encourage you to research more societies and how they operate. I'll give you an example. It's like you are saying "It's stupid to believe that governments would place bending machines in every corner, even in the middle of nowhere. They would get jacked everyday, etc." This would happen in America, Mexico, Maybe other countries. But Japan has Vending machines in every corner and in the middle of no where. Why? Because their culture has a different world view. You would expect them to get stolen, but they don't. No camaras, no alarms. They just don't get stolen. Japanese people were brought up that way.

It's just an example, but you need to know that you are being ethnocentric here. You are measuring other culture's values with your own world view. You can't look at another culture and say "That wouldn't work because it doesn't work like that in my culture" It works for them too, but in another way. Sorry if you really can't accept this as realistic, but that's the way it is. And this was amazingly done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 27 of 49