• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:26 am Reply with quote
i still think the best thing about this episode was Don Chinjou vs Lao G, the glasses, i laughed really hard at that
Tensai GinAce

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 11:47 am Reply with quote
B+ ? the episode was really awesome, i was literally jumping at the last 5 minutes or so, it deserves at-least an A
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 3:16 pm Reply with quote
I love the Franky VS Senor Pink fight; both of the characters are so goofy, Oda clearly paired them up so he could jump back to them whenever he needs comic relief (and Usopp is indisposed.) That's probably why their fight has gone on so long, but hasn't FELT drawn out; it's less a fight and more a long comedy routine, with both of them more worried about seeming cool than actually winning. I love how they each have their own cheering section now.

Amusingly enough, Franky's comedic fight is the probably rhe most important one in the sense of the story's long game. The whole point of going to Dressrosa was to destroy the factory, after all.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:45 pm Reply with quote
only like another year until its over.
Punk Hazard

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Thought it was a great episode, no moments felt too dragged, the animation and art was far and beyond great on many of the fight scenes.

Honestly would give it an A+ if you base it how the rest of Dressrosa has been adapted.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
"The show just needs to pull the trigger.

" I saw what you did there, reviewer-san. Cool

To the others: make yourself a favour if you don't already do so, and read the manga too.
Most of the time the anime is too over the top and/or dragged (the voice actors are great though--they chose a perfect one for child Doflamingo).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
chex mix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
It's like Toei decided instead of giving us the two possibly most well-written flashback sequences in the whole damn manga, it was just going to just be endless Rebecca flashback spam instead. Come on, Toei, is your flashback limit busted? I'm getting antsy already! These snippets are ridiculous, after having to sit through endless Rebecca hell earlier.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 7:48 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
It's like Toei decided instead of giving us the two possibly most well-written flashback sequences in the whole damn manga, it was just going to just be endless Rebecca flashback spam instead. Come on, Toei, is your flashback limit busted? I'm getting antsy already! These snippets are ridiculous, after having to sit through endless Rebecca hell earlier.

If i recall the flashback was teased bit by bit in the manga as well, to the point where people were screaming for laws Flashback cause Oda kept teasing it but not starting it, they he gave us a bit and didn't go all in till weeks later.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
chex mix wrote:

If i recall the flashback was teased bit by bit in the manga as well, to the point where people were screaming for laws Flashback cause Oda kept teasing it but not starting it, they he gave us a bit and didn't go all in till weeks later.

And then, after a while, the same people were screaming for it to stop. Razz

Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this arc has had a lot of padding, which I'm sure is due to the enormous number of characters and that Oda needed to give them something to do. This arc could've been half the length that it is. It's still fun, and I'm sur eit's great to marathon it, but as it stands, no one should be drip-fed Dressrosa.

Quote:

As of this point in the story, I really think this is a bit of a weak angle for Doflamingo's character. He's bitter because the world treated him badly as a kid and now he hates the world and wants to destroy it.

The way I see it, I think Doflamingo is actually an immature, childish person. One with remarkable physical strength and intelligence, but his actions all seem either impulsive or out of simple rage. And really, as he was brought up as a World Noble, this means he was sheltered and thus never really got to emotionally mature. The only World Noble I've seen in the series who actually acts mature is Saint Roswald back in Sabaody, who keeps calm and reins in his son. I'm guessing that old man's seen things even he thought was out of line, whereas someone like Doflamingo has gotten everything he has ever wanted his whole life. The day Luffy and Law landed on Dressrosa is perhaps the first time things didn't go his way, and now he's throwing a tantrum.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:52 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
The day Luffy and Law landed on Dressrosa is perhaps the first time things didn't go his way, and now he's throwing a tantrum.

There is at least one other day, and that day really ticked him off no end.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:31 am Reply with quote
Ah yes, that's true. He threw a tantrum on that day too.
chex mix

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
chex mix wrote:

LOL, fair enough. IIRC, the Rebecca anime flashbacks were like 90% filler, though. The drips and drops of Law and Doffy could have started earlier, that's all I'm sayin. Or, you know, just not have a billion Rebecca flashbacks that are ALL THE SAME DAMN SCENE. Rolling Eyes
SamuraiNinjaDragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:10 pm Reply with quote
I honestly believe that if Toei had just ended the anime at ep 516 before starting with the after the time skip story arc, waited 10 years at least before starting the anime again, we wouldn't have to be seeing such long dragged out episodes and battles, and Toei wouldn't have to stretch out a manga chapter and make it fit in one episode just so they can prevent from catching up too quickly. /unpopular opinion

The episode was fun to watch, but it's getting frustrating with Doflamingo not fighting Luffy or Law himself and is using his clone and Bellamy to fight for him. He's a coward and a childish spoiled brat that is throwing a temper tantrum like a 2 year old and refuses to fight on his own.

Yes I'm aware he's a villain and villains do resort to trickery at times, but this is getting ridiculous. :/
Sariachan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:22 am Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:
Sariachan wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:
chex mix wrote:

LOL, fair enough. IIRC, the Rebecca anime flashbacks were like 90% filler, though. The drips and drops of Law and Doffy could have started earlier, that's all I'm sayin. Or, you know, just not have a billion Rebecca flashbacks that are ALL THE SAME DAMN SCENE. Rolling Eyes

I wasn't complaining about fillers or the flashback themselves, the other way around actually (I still have to start watching the anime for Dressrosa, fyi).
Law's one is so good, but as tragic as any other OP flashback (if not even more) that manga readers couldn't just take it anymore, at one point. Crying or Very sad

P.S. I don't think what I wrote counts as spoiler since it's too generic, but if someone think I should tag it as such I will.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 49