• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: One Piece

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chex mix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
bigivel wrote:
chex mix wrote:
Snakebit1995 wrote:

I'm also really interested to see if the Anime expands on spoiler[ X-Drake and his small part in Law's backstory]

That's not even confirmed, though. If Toei starts running wild left and right with fan theories they might as well just do a proper filler arc instead, as it would make far more sense.

Oda just confirmed in the last volume. Also it was pretty obvious and in your face.

This is the translation of the question and answer:

Reader: The boy called Dorry who was with the pirate Barrels, is actually the captain of the Drake pirates, X Drake, right!? The name Diez, and the maxilla wound , they come from the North Blue, as I noticed. So Barrels is Drake's father?

Oda: Yes, that's right!! As you noticed correctly, Drake put new life into the world, as one of the young pirates of the “worst generation“ along with Luffy and the others. His father Barrels is a former marine officer, and Drake, who was admitting and respecting his father, had the dream to become a marine himself. But something happened, and his father became a cruel pirate who even used violence against his own son. Drake believed in the father he was before, and followed him. At that time, 13 ½ years before today, he was 19 years old. He was tall for a boy, but he looked very young as he was weak and feared his father. Then, he had a fateful meeting with Law, and was protected by the marine, and finally become one himself. Yet he dropped his career when he already was a rear-admiral, and became a pirate!! What happened!? What do you think!? Hey, you!! ––Nah~~. I'm curious which steps X Drake will take from now on!!

I don't pay attention to those, so I didn't know it had been confirmed. Great. I'm still wary of Toei adding anything though, because Toei is Toei.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:51 am Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:
bigivel wrote:
Also it was nothing big, given that Arlong saved the kids.

Actually it kinda was, being that the whole point of the Hody-reveal was that he had never had any kind of bad experience with humans and his hatred of them stemmed entirely from stories he had been told. Adding a flashback showing a traumatizing event where he and his friends were almost captured and sold into slavery is about as big a contradiction of his character as you can get.

While I agree that its a problem for Hody, to be fair to Toei, we the viewers already had SEVERAL examples of fishmen being caught and sold into slavery. So if you WANTED to justify it, its an EASY hop to say that Hody had friends who had been sold into slavery and the previous flashback was really vivid dreams that he had, possibly even dreams that he believed to be true at one point. I mean, I agree that it kinda contradicts the main narrative, but lets be honest, Fishman Island kinda sucked as an arc anyway so who cares if Hody's actual story got distorted. Razz
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Never dismiss anything in One Piece, no matter how small. You never know what's going to become important later.

(Admittedly, Toei has been pretty good about that, despite accidental contradictions, given the series's length and ridiculous attention to detail. Would've helped to consult Oda about any filler material, but I don't know how feasible that can be.)
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:18 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Never dismiss anything in One Piece, no matter how small. You never know what's going to become important later.

(Admittedly, Toei has been pretty good about that, despite accidental contradictions, given the series's length and ridiculous attention to detail. Would've helped to consult Oda about any filler material, but I don't know how feasible that can be.)

The anime staff does, in fact, discuss things with Oda before they are included (or excluded) in the show

Volume #37's SBS Section entry in One Piece Wiki
SBS for chapter #346 wrote:
D: Odacchi! I have a question. Do you come up with the Devil Fruit Powers that are original to the Anime show? Let me know.

O: Basically, all that happens is that the anime's scriptwriters come up with powers that they want to use in the story, and I say "Yeah, that sounds good," or "No, sorry, I want to use that one in the future." That's all.
[SBS (Shitsumon wo Boshū Suru?, "I'm Taking Questions"), D (Dokusha, "Reader"), O (Oda)]
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I knew about the Devil Fruits, but I meant that Toei should consult him more, as it's clear Oda has a lot of things planned that aren't related to Devil Fruits and is careful to avoid them until the time is right.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:03 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Oh, I knew about the Devil Fruits, but I meant that Toei should consult him more, as it's clear Oda has a lot of things planned that aren't related to Devil Fruits and is careful to avoid them until the time is right.

I won't be surprised if Oda is giving Toei some pointers on some of the extended flashbacks or fighting scenes.
FreshIngredient

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
When Law's sister got sick I had to pause the video and take a breather...

As a side note for this episode, those guys shooting at the Donquixote Pirates make Storm Troopers look like crack shots.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
chex mix wrote:

I don't pay attention to those, so I didn't know it had been confirmed. Great. I'm still wary of Toei adding anything though, because Toei is Toei.

I don't know what this "Toei is Toei" means, given that they are one of the companies that more add original content and best does it.
They are doing that to One Piece since the 1st episode, and it been handled amazingly well.
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Lord Starfish wrote:

Actually it kinda was, being that the whole point of the Hody-reveal was that he had never had any kind of bad experience with humans and his hatred of them stemmed entirely from stories he had been told. Adding a flashback showing a traumatizing event where he and his friends were almost captured and sold into slavery is about as big a contradiction of his character as you can get.

No, it is an "as big a contradiction of his character as you can get". In the span of things, it was an inconsequential event.
While being captured and sold into slavery is a traumatic event, being chased by someone is just an one time scare. Specially when you see the chaser being beaten out of his life moments later.
If those kind of things happened many times or frequently than that would be another thing, but it was just one time during their infancy.

HeeroTX wrote:

While I agree that its a problem for Hody, to be fair to Toei, we the viewers already had SEVERAL examples of fishmen being caught and sold into slavery. So if you WANTED to justify it, its an EASY hop to say that Hody had friends who had been sold into slavery and the previous flashback was really vivid dreams that he had, possibly even dreams that he believed to be true at one point. I mean, I agree that it kinda contradicts the main narrative, but lets be honest, Fishman Island kinda sucked as an arc anyway so who cares if Hody's actual story got distorted. Razz

The "kinda sucked as an arc" is your opinion. Different people have different opinions about things. Disregarding an error, because you didn't liked the arc is an horrible argument!

And about "so who cares" a lot of people. As an example: me!
bigivel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:47 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

Should they? Because Oda job is writing the manga. Don't forget that he doesn't work for Toei, he works for Shueisha. He gave Toei the licensing rights of One Piece, but he doesn't work for them. Spending more of his precious time, that he could be spending working or resting, with them is not a good idea for Oda at all.

Giving this episode, 701, a C rating is a crime in itself!
Araki

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:19 pm Reply with quote
I thought 701 was great, and the review a bit nonsensical. You seriously expected the story to stretch out the flashback so Law's sister or his parents could be more developed? That wasn't the point. Law was the point. The flashback is meant to develop him, not his sister.

I think no one would be happy had we spent three episodes seeing his family's antics just to watch them die, considering they don't matter anymore, just Law does.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Flashbacks within a flashback are the bane of this show
chex mix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
I think it's pretty rad how, although there's pretty clearly some hardcore fanboyism in this thread, there's no asshole level fanboyism (yet). Well done, OP fanbase.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:50 pm Reply with quote
Every fanbase has some. It's just that some are more vocal and wander about more than others.
chex mix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:53 pm Reply with quote
So far we've gone seven whole pages without a fight. For a OP thread, that might be a record. Razz <3
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 49