• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn’t Exist (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain X

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2016 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Resurrecting this topic to see... has anyone heard anything about this show getting a dub? Very Happy

Be a shame if it was never localized, though I wonder if they'd self-censor like the original dub did or not. I actually have mixed feelings about that aspect of the show, mostly because I'm just anti-censorship in general, and this struck me as the show trying to have it both ways, though it could still be funny.
Captain X

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 2:24 am Reply with quote
leatherhead333 wrote:
Trying to paint censorship in an overly harsh light without trying to at least talk about the upsides of it.

Just out of curiosity, what do you feel those are?
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 9:01 am Reply with quote
Captain X wrote:
leatherhead333 wrote:
Trying to paint censorship in an overly harsh light without trying to at least talk about the upsides of it.

Just out of curiosity, what do you feel those are?

I wouldn't mind learning that myself.

On my own I can't think of any benefit other than it calms the irrational fears of uptight self-righteous people that I don't care about except when they try to interfere with my life. Which they do any chance they get.

And it is sort of an ironic topic when the entire premise of this anime is what happens when the censors get their way in everything. Hard to see the upside there.

Finally, my impression of the "self censorship" of this anime wasn't to try to conform to artificial standards of morals, but to make the delivery more funny. For the most part I think it worked.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6