• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Final Fantasy VII Remake Confirmed for PS4 Release First

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
phia_one wrote:
My dad was more excited about the news than I was Laughing

I'm pretty amused at the fact that Final Fantasy VII is now old enough as a game where some fans are now parents of gamers.
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:17 am Reply with quote
Lili-Hime wrote:
But I really wanna see him be the Zack wannabee / weak, sensitive dork he was in FF7.

Cloud being a phony and a failure is absolutely central to his character arc in the game so they had really better!

Quote:
...Tifa was too mousey for a woman who owns a bar, commits acts of terrorism and punches robots lol.

Tifa's actually a wimp. That was the twist. The kung-fu chick is a wimp and the flower-seller in the pink dress in the brave one. But it probably shouldn't be so obvious in the voice and she's supposed to have gotten stronger by the end of FF7 anyway.

Quote:
And making Cait Sith irish??? WTF?

You're right, he probably should have been Scottish.
Lili-Hime

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:52 am Reply with quote
fronzel wrote:

Tifa's actually a wimp. That was the twist. The kung-fu chick is a wimp and the flower-seller in the pink dress in the brave one. But it probably shouldn't be so obvious in the voice and she's supposed to have gotten stronger by the end of FF7 anyway.

Oh I agree Aerith was super brave... but Tifa was too. She'd have to be to make it in the slums (esp wearing that outfit O.o) You could argue her pining after Cloud made her weak I guess, but she also spoiler[took a run at Sephiroth for killing her dad.] I don't think her love for Cloud made her weaker though. IDK Final Fantasy dubs have always been pretty terrible, and they're not getting any better the FFXV demo was pretty bad. I don't get it either as KH has great dubs.

Quote:

You're right, he probably should have been Scottish.

OOoooooooh.... so that's why they did that. Makes sense to me now I had no idea lol.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I like Aerith in all her other games but she is the weakest written character besides Cait Sith in the original script as she could be replaced with Aslan/Jesus and the story would work too. Even the actual death scene doesn´t quite work due to the hokey boss battle but the lead up and the burial are well done. SE should take the much more nuanced CC or even KH version and build on that but the scrip and game need and are being rebuild form the ground up anyway due to all sorts of advancements in the medium. Red XIII depressing up as a soldier needs to stay tough.

Tifa is called "lock heart" for a reason and her status of a mess underneath the looks was the entire point of her despite the Masamune action. Actualy all of them were and to higher degrees then in the other entries for the series. VI is my 2nd favorite one but the jump in character focused writing and amount of dialog is mind-boggling between the 2 entries. Both even have similar structures, story and near identical gameplay. The GBA fan re-master is the way to go here.

The like the japanese VA´s and AC Could makes perfect sense if you read the lead up book and dying of super-cancer would break anyone so that is the one version of Shinji Ikari - Cloud that works. Both Aerith and Tifa even called him out on his bullshit during the film as he went from world savior who overcame his past to dead beat dad in 2 years. The whole cast is actually heavily affected by the high amount of death they caused and the films weaknesses are the lack of story during the 2nd half (but 11/10 action is cool too) and all the cheap resurrections.
The film´s OST is my favorite one in the whole series btw. but VI has the best one.

FFVII was bough by every (core) gamer on the PSX (No.1 Gran Turismo 10.85 million / No.2 Final Fantasy VII 9.72 million) and was inescapable in the late 90s. Even now. Why? Because it wasn´t marketed as a (J) RPG besides it´s ability to put you on a journey that very few other games as The Longest Journey (hehe) can. Just like Skyrim. Watch this one again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ-toUi9jDc The trailer looked like the future so i had to get it and then put most of SE´s catalogue inside by vains. Infinite Undiscovery/The Last Remnant and all sorts of Mana games were rough stuff but I regret nothing Wink. Besides DoC.
A games journalist i follow worked in retail back then and had a copy returned because the customer was disappointed to find out that the game included reading Cool.
The advertisement was that good and the remake is destined to sell 20 mil. and be on the Xbox and PC in less then 6 month or even better on day one. 20 Years of hype will do that and the game is doing crazy google traffic right now. I am actually rather calm about the announcement as i have been following the remake´s journey for a decade and will for another 3+(?) years as SE needs to get the landing just right here. They know it too and expect the game to drown in DLC.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
phia_one

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 7:13 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
phia_one wrote:
My dad was more excited about the news than I was Laughing

I'm pretty amused at the fact that Final Fantasy VII is now old enough as a game where some fans are now parents of gamers.

I was in elementary school when the game came out. But yeah, my dad has always been a gamer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5