• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Weird Al Yankovic Posts His In-Series JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Reference on Instagram

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DMCMaster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Now I want to hear Weird Al do a JoJo's song
Krey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I really wanna know if he's a fan or not!
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
DMCMaster wrote:

"Wake Me Up Before You JoJo".
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
DMCMaster wrote:

It would be really awesome if he did english parody songs of the four openings, jojo lover's would buy and non jojo lovers would get to know about Araki's work thanks to the songs, win-win!
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:23 pm Reply with quote
I found that weird, in a series where characters are commonly named after bands, artists and related (album titles), a character actually references an artist and song as being real in that world.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Did I mention that I tweeted the tip to him on Twitter? Wink
bj_waters

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
SpacemanHardy wrote:
DMCMaster wrote:

"Wake Me Up Before You JoJo".

Boooooooooooooooooooo. Very Happy
Hawkmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Revolutionary wrote:
I found that weird, in a series where characters are commonly named after bands, artists and related (album titles), a character actually references an artist and song as being real in that world.

You can't copy right a persosn name. A band name, alias, song title, or album on the other hand is subject to copy right.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

You can't copy right a persosn name. A band name, alias, song title, or album on the other hand is subject to copyright.

I think you meant to say Trademark, since you can't copyright a name, i.e. Apple is a trademark. IMO They could use the names (since jojo is not a musical), but the fear of litigation (which could drag for years) makes them change some names.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:06 pm Reply with quote
Hawkmonger wrote:
Revolutionary wrote:

You can't copy right a persosn name. A band name, alias, song title, or album on the other hand is subject to copy right.

I think what Revolutionary meant was that, in the Jojo-verse, you commonly have characters with names similar or the same as RL bands/artists/etc...while at least one guy (Yankovic) exists in it. Indicating the others might or probably do as well, but no one ever remarks about the fact that all these people happen to have the same names as bands/artists.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:
... but no one ever remarks about the fact that all these people happen to have the same names as bands/artists.

IMO they are not the villains legal names, but their nicknames and in the jojo world seems like it is a thing to use that kind of nicknames and completely drop their original names, which makes sense for the security of their families. I mean, in marvel comics it is ok to have a nickname like "Starlord" *chuckles*
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh, and I suppose it's "pointless" to remember Bo Derek from the '81 Tarzan?
Well, I suppose it is, sort of. (And it's only because I'm an MST3K fan who remembers that Miles O'Keefe was the Tarzan.)
Still, Bo showed up in a documentary on Golan/Globus last year, and...she's gone so well into MILF-hood, it's a little scary. Cool
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:17 pm Reply with quote
For years now,I've enjoyed "Weird" Al Yankovic's music. The fact that he was mentioned in "Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure" is in and of itself bizarre. I hope this'll get dubbed. I'd love to hear it in English. Also,I hope he does a goofy parody song of this anime. I'd like it a lot.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:45 pm Reply with quote
RestLessone wrote:

I think what Revolutionary meant was that, in the Jojo-verse, you commonly have characters with names similar or the same as RL bands/artists/etc...while at least one guy (Yankovic) exists in it. Indicating the others might or probably do as well, but no one ever remarks about the fact that all these people happen to have the same names as bands/artists.

It's been established that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure takes place in the real world, so I don't know why it seems that odd that real celebrities and musicians are name-dropped.
I don't even think this was the first time it's happened in the anime's run.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2015 5:00 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
RestLessone wrote:

It's been established that JoJo's Bizarre Adventure takes place in the real world, so I don't know why it seems that odd that real celebrities and musicians are name-dropped.
I don't even think this was the first time it's happened in the anime's run.

I would say that it takes place on our planet but in a different reality.

I mean, maybe I am just making a big deal out of nothing... And really, I *don't* think it's a big deal, it was just a passing thought I had. Just that it's odd to have a series where characters are named after artists/bands/album titles (even going back to characters originating from the middle ages and earlier with the first two JJBA series!), that they could simultaneously exist in the same reality with their namesakes... As I said, not a big deal... It's just something that came up in my mind when Weird Al Yankovic was name dropped as actually existing in the series' world. lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2