• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Licenses The World is Still Beautiful Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote
She's 17 & whether or not it would be "normal" for such arrangements to happen at the time is moot because this is fantasy fiction about a family who can make it rain, Tray & as such the only reason their relationship is as it is is because the author wanted to write a shota fic.
puppy1843e

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:48 am Reply with quote
I initially dismissed this at first when it was airing because of the age gap, but I'm glad I ended up watching it later on. Despite the elephant in the room, I thought this was one of the best shoujo anime I've seen in a long time and Livi and Nike's romance seemed really believable. I'm glad it got picked up, but I'm doubtful Sentai will give it a good dub if they decide to dub it considering their history.
theNightster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:57 am Reply with quote
puppy1843e wrote:
I initially dismissed this at first when it was airing because of the age gap, but I'm glad I ended up watching it later on. Despite the elephant in the room, I thought this was one of the best shoujo anime I've seen in a long time and Livi and Nike's romance seemed really believable. I'm glad it got picked up, but I'm doubtful Sentai will give it a good dub if they decide to dub it considering their history.

Sentai can do good dubs is the thing, take Shinsekai Yori for example
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:39 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:

Age is not a factor. You can always get more wives.

Too bad they changed things! Laughing
Ali07

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:50 am Reply with quote
macattack wrote:
They altered Livi's age in the anime. In the manga, he is indeed 11-12 years old. However, for the purposes of the anime, they aged him up to 15, enough so that the age gap is still noticeable but it's more acceptable than it was.

I thought so. Seeing people mentioning him bring 11/12 seemed too young to me. Must be because I've only seen the anime. And, I shall be buying Sentai's release.
Chaos Wings

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:02 am Reply with quote
Glad someone finally licenced this show, I really enjoyed the series from start to finish. Despite other peoples reservations concerning the subject matter I thought it had a simple but sweet story. Though I honestly believed NISA would be the company to pick it up.
Lynxikat

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:23 am Reply with quote
Out of curiosity, I wonder why it took The World is Still Beautiful so long to be licensed. I always thought it would've been one of those that would be licensed soon after it premiered, but I guess I was wrong.

Oh God, you can't have an article about The World is Still Beautiful without someone talking about the ages of the characters on the forum :-/ I'm not saying I don't agree with some of the commenters, but I'm sick of it being brought up over and over again.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:45 am Reply with quote
Lynxikat wrote:
Out of curiosity, I wonder why it took The World is Still Beautiful so long to be licensed. I always thought it would've been one of those that would be licensed soon after it premiered, but I guess I was wrong.

Oh God, you can't have an article about The World is Still Beautiful without someone talking about the ages of the characters on the forum :-/ I'm not saying I don't agree with some of the commenters, but I'm sick of it being brought up over and over again.

In those people's defense, sometimes the same arguments are made when the situation is reversed. This is particularly true with harem titles.
albanian

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:57 am Reply with quote
Just a brief comment on the 'age' issue. Historically, what mattered was not the age of the bride and groom but the dowry the bride brought with her. Indeed, the bride would probably continue to live with her family until she was old enough to properly run a household.

(The family fortune of the Grosvenor family [Dukes of Westminster - current duke is a multi-billionaire] was founded on the 17th century marriage of a 21yo ancestor to a 12yo heiress whose dowry was a London manor now known as Mayfair and Belgravia. The US embassy is actually built on land leased from the Grosvenors.)

From that perspective, the ages of Nike and Livi are irrelevant, and the only important thing is the dowry (the ability to bring rain) that arrives with Nike...

...but, yes, I still find it a bit icky.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:21 pm Reply with quote
albanian wrote:

...but, yes, I still find it a bit icky.

"Icky" is Save Me! Lollipop where its 12 year old heroine Nina, fresh from elementary school, has two possible boyfriends to choose from, 15 year old Zero and his brother Ichi... who can drive. A flashback later shows him to be at least three years older than his brother.... so drinking age then?

And not surprisingly, Funimation upped her age in the dub. Don't you just hate changes like that? Sad the things that stick with me from mediocre shows...

The World is Still Beautiful in comparison is just kind of quaint.... and yeah, basically historically accurate if the girl was the younger one.

I've heard of this show but never got around to watching it; Maybe it'll fill the shoujo shaped hole in my heart.
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
it's not a big age gap if one of them is king another one is princess. In our real history we had 13-15 prince/king married a 20 years old before. Age doesn't matter for royal Arranged marriage. In China and Japan, sometimes a prince already arranged to marry certain family's female before before he is born. that's why in china, the queen(first wife) is almost always older than the king. Age is not a factor. You can always get more wives.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen in real life but there is still a big difference in maturity between those two ages.
sunflower

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:23 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Spotlesseden wrote:
it's not a big age gap if one of them is king another one is princess. In our real history we had 13-15 prince/king married a 20 years old before. Age doesn't matter for royal Arranged marriage. In China and Japan, sometimes a prince already arranged to marry certain family's female before before he is born. that's why in china, the queen(first wife) is almost always older than the king. Age is not a factor. You can always get more wives.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen in real life but there is still a big difference in maturity between those two ages.

No, there isn't. There can be a difference in maturity between different people at even the same ages, but not everyone at any particular age is the same level of maturity. And anyone who has spent any time with this series knows the KING is mature for his age, as anyone with sense would expect a competent king to be.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2