• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Animation Blu-ray Disc Ranking, June 15-21

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:50 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Also very happy that Blood Blockade Battlefront is selling this well. I would love to see more anime content.

I am surprised, but not shocked, with Sound! Euphonium's numbers. I was convinced that the first volume was going to sell 15k+.

Mr. Oshawott wrote:
I thought Sound! Euphorium would sell at higher numbers than what I saw, but they're not that bad...

I agree, but it is very unlikely that it will get a season two.

That show was actually fairly overestimated for first week by Stalker as I had kind of figured since it had a lot of late adopters. It had it at what it sold overall by the time the week was up for it's limited edition alone in terms of estimates for day 1. I was expecting something like 7K for BD and about the same for the DVD estimate which was actually spot on for something slightly below 8K but instead it's more like 6.5K.
Dayblack

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Calculus20 wrote:
Bravo Bones. Bra-vo. All excellent job by Matsumoto and staff. 15k+ for a Bones anime. Just wow. The last 10k+ anime was DTB 2 almost 5 years ago. This is looking to be a great year for Bones and Kekkai Sensen Season 2 is basically confirmed with these sales and the great manga boost.

Ah, Euphonium, not bad sales but this is worse than Amagi and this volume had an event ticket which is usually a good sales booster. It'll probably do better than KnK and Tamako but fall short of Amagi and way below Chuu2 or Free. Hope KyoAni goes back to more Kadokawa light novels. Need more stuff like Amagi.

Kekkai Sensen not follow the manga, it shows that you can get to make successful without following the source material.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
keichitsu0305 wrote:

Are you sure about that? Wink
I am super curious why BBB, a series that takes place in a supernatural version of New York City, based off a manga by the creator of Trigun, animated by Bones (one of my favorite animation studios), with an episodic nature and majority adult cast, gotten so popular in Japan? If this was the U.S, then that's obvious but almost never the other way around. Maybe, anime fans were just looking for something fresh?

Supposedly it was huge with fujoshi and female otaku. Female otaku tend to have different interests than male otaku and I'd even say their interests can be more varied. They've supported almost similar works in the past, Tiger & Bunny for instance had a western feel to it and adult characters and that was big with female otaku.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:
There are literally not enough male fans that would buy KyoAni products anymore to go past the ~6k sales at most for a show that features an almost all-girls cast.
Why are some people acting surprised, what numbers did you expect from it?

Sure there are. If KyoAni did another K-ON or Lucky Star type show then the sales would roll in. Hibike Euphonium is based around SoL drama with characters that are much closer to reality than KyoAni's more otaku-friendly shows. It can't be a surprise to anyone who knows the average otaku's preferences to see that Hibike wasn't much of a hit in terms of disc sales.

Thankfully, KyoAni doesn't seem to just want money and can continue creating the kinds of shows that they want to create, even if it's not a 30k seller.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:55 pm Reply with quote
#839165 wrote:
Maybe because KyoAni's betrayal in 2013 a certain sect stopped buying their products.

Sunny milk wrote:
There are literally not enough male fans that would buy KyoAni products anymore to go past the ~6k sales at most for a show that features an almost all-girls cast.

Targeting a different audience every once in a while is now a betrayal? That attitude is amusingly {I agree with you about #839165; however personal attacks cannot be permitted. ~nobahn}.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Araki wrote:
Look at Death Parade. Japan's usually crappy tastes is why we can't get original shows more often.
Rederoin wrote:
Going by how boring Death Parade was, I think Japanese buyers made a wise decision.
enurtsol wrote:
Some people say boring; some people say noir.

Agreed; although, personally, I didn't care for the last 5-10 seconds of Death Parade.
Hellwarden

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Yes! Blood Blockade Battlefront is doing splendidly!

RAVE TIME!!!
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Congrats to Mizuki-san. Any guess as to why she seems to do so well on the Oricon charts when other seiyuu like Yukari Tamura and Yui Horie are also popular singers?

I've seen them all live, but only Nana Mizuki in a "solo live" (as in her and her band being the entire concert programme).

There's Nana Mizuki's voice, having an Enka background, depth of material (the number of and quality of most of her songs is amazing), and just how she relates to her audiences. Also she seems to thrive on giving very demanding performances (included being suspended in the air for some songs, playing instruments such as harmonica, piano and harp).

Yukari Tamura seems to go for being a bit more silly, and Yui Horie seems to go for being the understated professional.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
...Also she seems to thrive on giving very demanding performances (included being suspended in the air for some songs, playing instruments such as harmonica, piano and harp).

Whoa, Nana performed a concert while in mid-air??? Surprised That's pretty epic- I don't recall any other singer in the world performing that sort of stunt.
omiya

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:23 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:

Whoa, Nana performed a concert while in mid-air??? Surprised That's pretty epic- I don't recall any other singer in the world performing that sort of stunt.

Some concerts she performs a song in mid-air:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhweFpeT_Xo
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:49 am Reply with quote
Dayblack wrote:
Calculus20 wrote:
Bravo Bones. Bra-vo. All excellent job by Matsumoto and staff. 15k+ for a Bones anime. Just wow. The last 10k+ anime was DTB 2 almost 5 years ago. This is looking to be a great year for Bones and Kekkai Sensen Season 2 is basically confirmed with these sales and the great manga boost.

Ah, Euphonium, not bad sales but this is worse than Amagi and this volume had an event ticket which is usually a good sales booster. It'll probably do better than KnK and Tamako but fall short of Amagi and way below Chuu2 or Free. Hope KyoAni goes back to more Kadokawa light novels. Need more stuff like Amagi.

Kekkai Sensen not follow the manga, it shows that you can get to make successful without following the source material.

It does follow the manga.
Adding orginal content and not following the manga are 2 different things.
Jackanapes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:27 pm Reply with quote
Sunny milk wrote:

I always get the sense that Kyoani is respected well enough for it's dedication to smooth animation in Japan but that they aren't anywhere near as highly and overwhelmingly revered above all others there as they are in English speaking territories. I mean they always seem like the be all end all here any time they have a show going, but in Japan they just seem to be entitled to nothing more than at most having one of the more popular shows airing and at worst a fair chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3