• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kamisama no Memo-cho (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Toucanbird

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
I just finished watching the last episode.

Overall, I'd say this anime was pretty good. I thought they set the ending up perfectly. It had enough closure where they don't need a 2nd season but they left enough for them to make a 2nd season if they want to. It was a beautifully crafted ending as well with a slight twist to keep us interested.

My favorite part of this anime was how the characters got emotionally invested. The writers did a very nice job of showing the characters emotional struggles with these cases. Of course the animation was great and the music was outstanding.

If I did have a downgrade of it, and this isn't a big downgrade by any stretch, it was the characters were sort of cookie cutter. There were no real unique or interesting characters other than Alice, who herself is almost a ripoff of Victorique from Gosick. However, as I mentioned before, the emotions and dialogue of the characters sort of covered that up a bit. I think another thing this anime sort of lacked was it needed a little more relationship development between Narumi and Ayaka. It made their "potential romantic relationship" feel sort of forced since it didn't show much interaction between the two outside of the Gardening Club and Ramen Shop. I mean, they pretty much shoved it all into one episode and expected us to believe there was something there when all along most viewers thought he might end up with Alice.
larinon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I didn't seriously think that Alice would end up as Narumi's love interest. She obviously likes having him around but Narumi doesn't appear to see her in that way.

Ayaka herself said that when she saw Narumi up on the roof that it seemed like she might have found a kindred spirit, and that was why she started planting flowers up on the rooftop -- to have more time with Narumi (after she roped him into the club). In a way, it reminds me of the relationship between Sato and Misaki in Welcome to the NHK. Ayaka basically brought Narumi into her circle of friends and not only helped him be part of the group but helped herself by gaining a friend with whom she could more easily relate. Even if it's not necessarily shown on the screen, they see each other very regularly. Besides, they're teenagers, things can change really quickly.

This ended up being one of my favorite shows of the year along with Nichijou, Steins Gate, and No. 6.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3