• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Live-Action Attack on Titan Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
endallchaos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
No, thank you. I know it's not a popular thing to say, but I'll rather see the Hollywood version. when, if it ever is made. Neutral

Last edited by endallchaos on Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
mgosdin wrote:
We will have to see what exactly Funimation has up their collective sleeves. They do have a working relationship with Universal now and they certainly know how to get films into theaters in the Americas.

Mark Gosdin

I'll be honest, I'd much rather have Funimation and Universal do their own live-action version of AoT. Double points if they can have Bryce Papenbrook, Trina Nishimura, Josh Grelle, Matt Mercer, Jessica Calvello, and the rest of the English cast reprise their roles in live action too.

That's like saying James Earl Jones should have played Anakin in the prequel films. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:45 pm Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:
No, thank you. I know it's not a popular thing to say, but I'll rather see the Hollywood version. when, if it ever is made. Neutral

I would rather watch a 2-minute fan film than a Hollywood adaption. We don't need it butchering the image of another great series (I'm looking at you, Ghost in the Shell).
CallumKeyblade

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:30 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
If you're referring to me in that last sentence I never hated on Funi for giving us more options. I just don't know why people are so xenophobic (*exaggeration*) as to listen to a bunch of white guys voicing Japanese people (in live-action).

The same reason Japanese people are so xenophobic (*exaggeration*) as to listen to a bunch of Japanese guys voicing a franchise like Fast & Furious. Some people just don't like reading subs. It's not really an issue of "xenophobia" at all.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

If you're referring to me in that last sentence I never hated on Funi for giving us more options. I just don't know why people are so xenophobic (*exaggeration*) as to listen to a bunch of white guys voicing Japanese people (in live-action).

Has nothing to do with that. I'd rather watch the movie, than reading subtitles. I watch a lot of subs already, so it doesn't bother me anymore, but listening in English is my preferred mode.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
CallumKeyblade wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

The same reason Japanese people are so xenophobic (*exaggeration*) as to listen to a bunch of Japanese guys voicing a franchise like Fast & Furious. Some people just don't like reading subs. It's not really an issue of "xenophobia" at all.

I take that back, "xenophobia" was just the unthinking, raging elitist inside me, I apologize. I meant more the common "bias" for one's own country/language. Why would you rather listen to a voice actor of another race in a studio half-heartedly grinding through lines just waiting for his paycheck versus the actor, in the flesh, acting the character he has spent months/years studying? The reason an actor is hired is because of his overall fitting to pull off a role, but you want to leave the impression of that character to execs behind contracts?

TarsTarkas wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:

Has nothing to do with that. I'd rather watch the movie, than reading subtitles. I watch a lot of subs already, so it doesn't bother me anymore, but listening in English is my preferred mode.

It butchers the film though. The lip movements are out-of-sync with the dialogue, a Steven is voicing a Yamato, and the voice actors likely put only a fraction of the work in the character as the live-action actor. Art is meant to be interpreted a certain way and when one dispassionate voice with quarter the pay dubs it, isn't that art being sabotaged in a way?

I mean to an extent I can understand dubbing anime, due to the setting and feeling they want to connect to you (Baccano!, Cowboy Bebop, etc) but REAL LIFE DUBBING? It's just... against the laws of nature.
Felicity dash

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It butchers the film though. The lip movements are out-of-sync with the dialogue, a Steven is voicing a Yamato, and the voice actors likely put only a fraction of the work in the character as the live-action actor. Art is meant to be interpreted a certain way and when one dispassionate voice with quarter the pay dubs it, isn't that art being sabotaged in a way?

Ha! Even though Code Lyoko isn't a film, I remembered they tried to dub Evolutions, the lip-sync was sooo terrible. Anime hyper I think they only dubbed one episode- the real kicker though they didn't dub the first episode xD
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
@Lostlorn Forest

It is the audience that interprets, not the creator.

It is the creator's vision and passion that creates their art, but the art seen through the audience's eyes and minds is what interprets it for each individual person.

We all take something from the art that we like, and it is probably different for many people.

What you care about, and what I care about are different. I just want to sit down and enjoy the show. If I can put up with trying to read subtitles, while trying to watch and enjoy the show, then I can certainly put up with half-heartened voice acting.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
endallchaos wrote:

I would rather watch a 2-minute fan film than a Hollywood adaption. We don't need it butchering the image of another great series (I'm looking at you, Ghost in the Shell).

Well, that's you. I would never take a fan film over a Hollywood adaption. I think Hollywood can pretty much make a better adaption than Japan can. I mean, The Japanese movie is already all butchered up, so I wouldn't mind seeing Hollywood's take on this show. Hollywood can probably hire better and a wide diversity of actors and actresses. Plus, The movie would probably look better, because of the higher budget.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
@Lostlorn Forest

It is the audience that interprets, not the creator.

It is the creator's vision and passion that creates their art, but the art seen through the audience's eyes and minds is what interprets it for each individual person.

We all take something from the art that we like, and it is probably different for many people.

What you care about, and what I care about are different. I just want to sit down and enjoy the show. If I can put up with trying to read subtitles, while trying to watch and enjoy the show, then I can certainly put up with half-heartened voice acting.

I don't even know why I'm talking about this, it's not like there is a huge library of good Japanese live-actions films to begin with but... just to put it like this... one studio puts 100% effort into a work, and affects 100% of the message being sent to the audience, and another studio puts 25% effort into something that leaves a great deal of impression on the audience, almost as much as the first studio because dialogue plays a very important role in film... so why let the dubbing studio make that large of an impression?

I can understand if you're the type to flip through the channels on a Saturday night, but if you're looking at a highly acclaimed movie, I'm almost certain people do not claim it is a gem because of the dubbing over it.

Nevermind, just ignore me.

endallchaos wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
endallchaos wrote:

Well, that's you. I would never take a fan film over a Hollywood adaption. I think Hollywood can pretty much make a better adaption than Japan can. I mean, The Japanese movie is already all butchered up, so I wouldn't mind seeing Hollywood's take on this show. Hollywood can probably hire better and a wide diversity of actors and actresses. Plus, The movie would probably look better, because of the higher budget.

Yeah no. Two words, Scarlett Johansson. They want to make Lucy 2 but pin a big name to it for $$$. Sorry but no, such a bastardization of an iconic character cannot be forgiven. Higher budget =/= quality. If you want state of the art CGI but shoddy writing and casting, you're looking for a disappointment.
animemaster1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:17 pm Reply with quote
Anyone have any idea how to get tickets to the July 14th world premiere? I live in LA so I really want to go, but I can't find any information on tickets or whatnot.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
How is Funi keep getting the Egyptian Theater

BTW, Japan dubs films in theaters, sometimes by anime seiyuu
brankoburcksen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
The really exciting part is that they are bringing Shinji Higuchi for the premiere and Comic Con. Who knows, maybe FUNI will release the new Godzilla movie next year. They are getting closer and closer to bringing Hideaki Anno state side if they keep this up.
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:41 am Reply with quote
On the subject of English dubs for live-action foreign films, in my case at least, it really depends on the movie.

If I'm watching a serious, character-driven drama, then I'm going to default to the sub. The actors seem much more genuine when they deliver the lines themselves.

If I'm watching a cheesy kung fu flick or a piece of Japanese gore trash, though, then bring on the cheesy dubs. They just add to the overall enjoyment to me.
endallchaos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 4:09 pm Reply with quote
endallchaos wrote:
Lostlorn Forest wrote:
endallchaos wrote:

Yeah no. Two words, Scarlett Johansson. They want to make Lucy 2 but pin a big name to it for $$$. Sorry but no, such a bastardization of an iconic character cannot be forgiven. Higher budget =/= quality. If you want state of the art CGI but shoddy writing and casting, you're looking for a disappointment.

Better than having one with horrible CGI and Shoddy writting and casting. Do you really think the Japanese live action of Attack on Titan is good? Because I personally think it looks horrible. I mean, they're all Asians, and they use a damn RPG. lol
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3