• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks Adds Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Higurashi Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
NorbieH wrote:
Is the dream closer for an English friendly release for those two?

Gunbuster's at least had a release meaning company's could guess that a paying fandom exists, and I bet they could make a dub for the new 5.1 track that was produced for the movie compilation and recent BD. There's tons more hope there than for DYRL.
Finny-chan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
@Finny Chan, Sentai stopped using stack packs quite a while ago. They've been using standard size cases with dividers for a couple of years. The last stack pack release from Section 23 was actually a Madien Japan title, Vampire Princess Miyu.

Thats good I will definitely pre-order then

I wonder if LoGH will be released in one go with a $100 price tag like Gatchaman or if they will release in 13 episode parts?
Cptn_Taylor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:44 am Reply with quote
NorbieH wrote:
It will be interesting to see how much of this excitement translates into dollars because as history has show us there will always be something people will be unhappy about.

Yellow subs, no purchase.
Nine episodes per disc, no purchase.
Eco-cases, no purchase.
Evidence of bending, no purchase
No dub, no purchase.
$59.95 a set, no purchase.
No Japanese honorifics, no purchase.
......... And so on.

Nine episodes per disc (if dvd) is definitely a no purchase from me.
Eco-cases, I wish Sentai wouldn't use them 'cause they're shit but they can be replaced by something better. No big deal.
Evidence of bending ? What does that even mean ? Broken discs ? Broken dvd cases ? What exactly ? Question
No dub, hmmm I'd like a translation but since I've watched it already once all subbed I guess I could get along with a non dubbed version. But I would like very much like to get a dub. Either way I'm buying.
60 $ a set eh ? Depends how many episodes we're talking about.
Less than 20 episodes is a no. 24-25 episodes for 60 $ with no sub then yes.
I don't give a shit about Japanese honorifics, especially in a science fiction epic that takes place almost 3000 years in the future.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:49 am Reply with quote
Nier wrote:
I've heard many good things about Legend of the Galactic Heroes within the anime community over the past several years, but has the anime really aged well in time? I'll look into it after it's out, but I'm not familiar with the source material.

Yes and no! The animation is quite lousy (although I do like the character designs, they aren't the kind you really see today) but the story definitely holds up.

Not that the story is perfect. It's 110 episodes so in my opinion there are definite slow parts but that can be forgiven for how rich and complex the narrative is. The two main characters (both fighting on opposite sides) are both fantastic but the series is made up of tons of interesting characters that you really get to know because of the length of the story. It is also not a black and white story. It's about the battle between a Monarchy vs a Democratic Republic. But this isn't Star Wars and both political spectrums are shown their strengths and weaknesses.

Note I am about 6 episodes from the end of season 3 so I have not seen it all but I think I've seen enough to have an informed opinion.

Another thing I like that while there aren't many female characters the few that are there are also quite well written.

Quote:
I'm hoping Sentai Filmworks adds Chihayafuru, Hyouka, and Shirokuma Cafe sometime. These are among three of my favorite anime series that I would like to own some day.

From your lips to any anime companies' ears.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:02 am Reply with quote
Finny-chan wrote:
I wonder if LoGH will be released in one go with a $100 price tag like Gatchaman or if they will release in 13 episode parts?

Honestly, it just makes the most sense to sell it by season, even if that's not the most even distribution. And knowing which season you're on is simple: the OP and ED change.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:22 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Finny-chan wrote:

Honestly, it just makes the most sense to sell it by season, even if that's not the most even distribution. And knowing which season you're on is simple: the OP and ED change.

That is what I was thinking too. Although they could also do each season in 2 parts too.

I hope they give more info at Otakon. I am definitely planning on going to their panel as long as it doesn't conflict with anything Paku Romi related.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:12 pm Reply with quote
NorbieH wrote:
It will be interesting to see how much of this excitement translates into dollars because as history has show us there will always be something people will be unhappy about.

Yellow subs, no purchase.
Nine episodes a disc, no purchase.
No dub, no purchase.
......... And so on.

Nine episodes on a DVD is pretty much bootleg territory (or perhaps WB JoJo's territory), so it's a reasonable complaint. Whining about yellow subs on LoGH would certainly be the height of self-serving cheapskate hypocrisy, since the most popular fansubs for it used... wait for it... yellow subs! And of course, there is also the "if dubbed, no purchase" crowd, so companies trying to please everybody are doomed to disappoint.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9