• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop Plans Manga Publishing Relaunch, More Projects

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:16 am Reply with quote
To hell with Tokyopop. I don't trust them to finish anything they start, after last time. If they publish the rest of Aria, I might forgive them enough to buy from them again, but it seems pretty unlikely.
havoc764

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:18 am Reply with quote
I just hope they will pick crest of the stars and banner of the stars back up. the only thing i want from them.
Calculus20

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
Just finish the FMP novels for god's sake. That's all I want from you TokyoPop.
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:30 am Reply with quote
Die already and let someone
else publish Hetalia!
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Quote:
The company is seeking to license "hidden gems that are not yet noticed" from small or independent publishers.

This sounds to me like, "We burned our bridges with the major publishers in Japan, so we need to find some new suckers."

That's exactly what I was thinking!
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:33 am Reply with quote
Clearly Princess Ai hasn't been the global megaphenomenon that DJ Milky hoped it would be Rolling Eyes
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
I don't know. I was pretty livid when they just up and closed their doors cause Stu couldn't figure out what the hell he wanted to do. I have a lot of series that chances are will never get finished state side because of it like Demon Flowers, Liling-Po, Silver Diamond, Vassalord, Saiyuki Reload, Wild Adapter, Tactics, Aria, Black Knight, Voice or Noise, Junjo Romantica just to name several. Not to mention some of the licenses they had picked up but never published. Hmm, yup still pissed. Been years now but still pissed.

I'll just have to wait and see about this. Gotta ask though, why under Tokyopop still? It would probably have been a better idea to start back up with a new name. That one just has too much bad juju.

Last edited by sakuragtin on Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:40 am Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
> The company is seeking to license "hidden gems that are not yet noticed" from small or independent publishers.

I like this part the most. Hopefully, they find some worthy series to get them more noticed.

Indeed. I'll admit to being more than a bit sore when they closed their doors and left many a series in limbo, but all too often there's nothing a company can do at that point; they certainly don't want to shut down.

Fingers crossed for their future. This is the most unexpected news out of AX so far for me.
fencer_x

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:53 am Reply with quote
DuchessBianca wrote:
theNightster wrote:
DuchessBianca wrote:
This is great news, I really hope they find a way to finish the D.N Angel manga. I absolutely loved that anime and was really sad they shut down and to this day the manga is unfinished Sad

well the manga never finished because yukiru sugisaki puts so much of her mangas on eternal hiatuses that even make Yoshihiro Togashi blush, and DN angel manga is in Viz's hands now from what I remember

ah I didn't know that as I just assumed due to TP going out of business at the time when vol 14 was up for pre-order that it as cancelled due to the bankruptcy. I think I might have heard before that Viz translated some unreleased ones online somewhere but no matter how much I google I still can't find it, if its true.

It's been so long you could've learned Japanese by now and bought the original manga yourself lol. D.N.Angel is really not a terribly difficult manga to read, actually Smile It was the first one I read when I was learning!
Running Wild

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
Re-release Real Bout High School with a new translation please, and the art book.

I went back to re-read Real Bout High School some months ago... none of the dialogue makes any sense, I don't even know what is going on half the time, the plot makes no sense... if there even is a plot.

But the artwork is nice. Wink
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:35 am Reply with quote
Maybe they'll focus more on the digital aspect of publishing.
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:39 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
Clearly Princess Ai hasn't been the global megaphenomenon that DJ Milky hoped it would be Rolling Eyes

Never fear, DJ Milky Milk and the Funky Bunch on the Stu da BOMB tip will do everything they can to give you more of what he knows you could never get enough of -- Princess Ai!
Paragonias

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:42 am Reply with quote
Tokyopop isn't as bad as everyone says it is. I mean, they are one of the biggest publishers of manga in Germany, so they're doing something right over here. In fact, most of the manga I buy is published by Tokyopop. I don't know what they did in the US to piss off so many people, what happened?
sunflower

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:58 am Reply with quote
This sounds like a lot of typical Stu Levy pipe dreams, already planning to do more than he can handle. Already over-expanding his interests, he doesn't seem to realize you can't expand without having a solid foundation. There will probably be a few small titles released to much fanfare, then he'll get bored and TP will once again fade away.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:34 am Reply with quote
they'd have to get a series i REALLY REALLY want to even get a glimmer of interest from me. The dude is already sounding like the same ADD kid he was when he ran TP into the ground the first time.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:36 am Reply with quote
Paragonias wrote:
Tokyopop isn't as bad as everyone says it is. I mean, they are one of the biggest publishers of manga in Germany, so they're doing something right over here. In fact, most of the manga I buy is published by Tokyopop. I don't know what they did in the US to piss off so many people, what happened?

tried to publish every little thing they could, over-reached and lost focus on their main business while blowing money of stupid side projects and then dropped dead leaving loads of series incomplete and out of print thus leaving a lot of people who had invested time and money in those series out in the cold.

Manga buyers frown on that kind of thing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8