• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop Plans Manga Publishing Relaunch, More Projects

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:56 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Die already and let someone
else publish Hetalia!
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Quote:
The company is seeking to license "hidden gems that are not yet noticed" from small or independent publishers.

This sounds to me like, "We burned our bridges with the major publishers in Japan, so we need to find some new suckers."

That's exactly what I was thinking!
Second that. Laughing
I will not give T-Pop one farthing of my money as long as DJ Milky (aka Stu Levy) has even one of his grubby fingers in its pie. Not until he can finish publishing Gakuen Alice and Good Witch of The West, so that will be never, and every Japanese publisher, no matter who, should avoid them like the pox.
Sakurazuka_Reika

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Oh gods, please stay away from gin no saji. I'm still praying for Viz or somebody to pick that up, but I'd rather not get it than let it get mangled by TP.
Kurama4Ever!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I know they're going the whole "never look back" route, but is it too much to ask that they try to relicense some of their popular older titles? Some of them are just so hard to find for anything less than $35,
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Paragonias wrote:
Tokyopop isn't as bad as everyone says it is. I mean, they are one of the biggest publishers of manga in Germany, so they're doing something right over here. In fact, most of the manga I buy is published by Tokyopop. I don't know what they did in the US to piss off so many people, what happened?
when the main part of Tokyopop shut down it was without warning shortly after they made an announcement that sounded like they were planning good things, not even most of what was left of the fulltime staff knew it was coming.

and then Stu Levy basically called people who were buying printed manga idiots, basically bashing everyone who had actually been supporting Tokyopop by buying the manga they were publishing.

then they did some really crappy things in regards to quality control, like in the hardcover version of the last Twelve Kingdoms novel they released it was missing an entire chapter, the only option they gave to those who wanted the whole complete novel was to buy the trade paperback version when that came out, no exchange. if you know anything about hardcore book collectors you'll know the very idea of having a complete (or near complete, or close enough to complete in this case since the last two novels were one mostly unrelated to the story in the others and the first part of an unfinished arc) the idea of having all hardcovers except for one last version may be seen as VERY distasteful. heck, personally I hate it when I'm collecting something in paperback or hardcover and they suddenly change the size of the books a bit so they're a bit taller or shorter suddenly.
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:20 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this means I can by more Sgt. Frog? Ah well I'll keep an ear out from what they decide to release if anything happens to spark my interest.
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Thatguy3331 wrote:
I wonder if this means I can by more Sgt. Frog? Ah well I'll keep an ear out from what they decide to release if anything happens to spark my interest.
Tokyopop lost virtually all the licenses they had and most if not all the Japanese publishers they worked with in the past may not trust them anymore given how suddenly and unexpectedly Tokyopop closed down before so it's uncertain if they could get the license back even if they wanted it.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm not exactly holding my breath on either one, but it would be nice if Tokyopop could release the final volume of the crossdressing manga Yubisaki Milk Tea and the final two volumes (at least for the time being) of the cute girls slice-of-life manga Strawberry Marshmallow, although, in the case of the latter, I have the final two volumes in French (as "Les Petites Fraises") from Kurokawa.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 2:42 pm Reply with quote
I hope they somehow finish the rest of Strawberry 100% in NA.

I know that was put out by SJ, but TokyoPop published it in I think, Germany and they got the complete run, so here's hoping it works out.

Please! Shocked
cetriya

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Utsuro no Hako wrote:
Quote:
The company is seeking to license "hidden gems that are not yet noticed" from small or independent publishers.

This sounds to me like, "We burned our bridges with the major publishers in Japan, so we need to find some new suckers."

pretty much what I was thinking

omegaproxy wrote:
I have a feeling that they will just use kickstarter to fund their original manga projects.

Considering what happend to another publisher and that TP doesn't have a good rep, I don't see this working especially if they tried for a large sum or multi KS. Plus, why wouldn't a creator just go on their own? thats what kickstarter is for (currently running one my self).

havoc764 wrote:
I just hope they will pick crest of the stars and banner of the stars back up. the only thing i want from them.

I just hope some on pick up the new manga. I really love the art and layout.

sakuragtin wrote:

I'll just have to wait and see about this. Gotta ask though, why under Tokyopop still? It would probably have been a better idea to start back up with a new name. That one just has too much bad juju.

Alot of us is asking about this on twitter. I see no reason to not start off with a different name other then the fact that they are still in mid works for film/tv and for legal reasons cant just up and make a whole new entity. Then again, with the internet, it was bound to come out that they re just TP resurrected.

Quote:
In addition, Tokyopop plans to publish art books and collectors editions, and will consider light novels.

Hope they have nice print quality and would some one get a Kaoru Mori artbook please?
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Weazul-chan wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:
Tokyopop lost virtually all the licenses they had and most if not all the Japanese publishers they worked with in the past may not trust them anymore given how suddenly and unexpectedly Tokyopop closed down before so it's uncertain if they could get the license back even if they wanted it.

Not to mention, Viz has the license to that manga now, and is content to let it rot in the "digital only rerelease with no new translated volumes" bin with the rest...
Unknown Memory

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I'm shuddering reading this news.

Shuddering.

Stu Levy should just crawl into a corner and fade as a shadow. He either should focus on one sole project or move on. He definitely burned many bridges with the Japanese publishers. :0

He just..... I just... Can't even...think...anything positive out of this once iconic company that got too big for itself to chew on.
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
cetriya wrote:
Hope they have nice print quality and would some one get a Kaoru Mori artbook please?

Unfortunately, I've not been able to sight a Japanese artbook by Kaoru Mori either, so not sure if one is in existence...
Besides, I'd wish TP to stay the heck away from it if one does exist. I'm grateful for TP that they were able to publish the entire Dragon Knights manga back in the days, but soon after that their entire enterprise turned into one big train wreck. Previous posts in this thread say all that is needed...
Weazul-chan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Hazinger Zeta wrote:
Weazul-chan wrote:
Thatguy3331 wrote:

Not to mention, Viz has the license to that manga now, and is content to let it rot in the "digital only rerelease with no new translated volumes" bin with the rest...
forgot about that. but even without that I'd be surprised if they could get it back. but seriously, with the kind of BS Stu Levy was pulling at the end I'd be happy if this attempt to revive it crashes and burns. anyone who disrespects their employees and customers doesn't deserve success.
phia_one

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 4:21 pm Reply with quote
This will obviously work out better than it did before. (sarcasm)

The only series they had that I had any interest in was Sgt. Frog.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
did anyone else think that TP releases were lax on checking spelling. i remember GTO had a couple of typos in it and one of the volumes of Deadman wonderland (thankfully put ot by viz now) had an auto correct issue that changed a word to something like pizza which was very out of place in the sentence (i remember having a chuckle about it but i passed on those books when viz announced their release so i cant go check where it was)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8