• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Tokyopop Plans Manga Publishing Relaunch, More Projects

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buzz201

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:32 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
did anyone else think that TP releases were lax on checking spelling. i remember GTO had a couple of typos in it and one of the volumes of Deadman wonderland (thankfully put ot by viz now) had an auto correct issue that changed a word to something like pizza which was very out of place in the sentence (i remember having a chuckle about it but i passed on those books when viz announced their release so i can't go check where it was)

I think that's quite common. I was reading The Seven Deadly Sins on CR the other day, there was spaces in the middle of words, and at one point "to" was used instead of "too".

My guess is they've just uploaded the version Kodansha US created, if they have it's shoddy work from Kodansha...
DeathScytheRuler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
TP did a pretty sloppy job of editing, especially in Love Hina. In some instances they removed the Japanese text for the sound effects but didn't bother to redraw the backgrounds so it looks like someone took the eraser tool in MS paint and scribbled it out. Other times they removed Japanese text that was critical to the current scene and didn't bother to replace it with English. Example: When Keitaro looks at Lido-kun's underside (the stuffed animal) he sees Naru's name written on it but TP erased it so it looks like nothing was written.
VetRaptor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I know they didn't finish the Initial D manga and I think it is done now. If they still hold the license..I hope they finish it
Lady Multi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Do I trust them? After all the series they started, stopped, and never finished. No, I do not.

If they want to earn my respect again, they should go back and finish what they started before licensing more stuff for them to stops just after a couple of volumes
overlordrae

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Tokyopop...lax with spelling for one. My MKR volumes had various translations for the same name. I hear some stories about some Petshop of Horrors volumes having no editorial oversight to smooth the translation by the one translator they put on it. Their quality was never the best, and it went downhill even faster as they cut costs and stretched thin. They dropped series left and right even before they went down.

Then there's the OEL contract fiasco. I met an artist earlier this year that published with them, and unlike the Japanese companies, her rights will never revert back to her, so she essentially had to move on and work on new IPs. If I were an independent or hidden gem and had TP come my way, I'd run.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
medama_oyaji wrote:
haha wow, those videos on their YouTube page are garbage.

Yeah, I had a look. Wish I didn't...

RAmmsoldat wrote:
did anyone else think that TP releases were lax on checking spelling. i remember GTO had a couple of typos in it and one of the volumes of Deadman wonderland (thankfully put ot by viz now) had an auto correct issue that changed a word to something like pizza which was very out of place in the sentence (i remember having a chuckle about it but i passed on those books when viz announced their release so i can't go check where it was)

I'm currently reading Chibi Vampire, and there are some mistakes. Most seem to be from not using the plural form of a word, every so often.

Oh, and the mistakes seem to be more do towards the end of the series. Didn't catch much from 1-9, but 10 and 11 have had quite a few.

Lady Multi wrote:
If they want to earn my respect again, they should go back and finish what they started before licensing more stuff for them to stops just after a couple of volumes

They'd need to re-license almost everything, if they want to finish off a series.

Honestly, I can't see TP doing so. Not only because they may just want to start with new licenses, and forget what happened in the past, but I doubt many in Japan would be willing to work with them again.

As some have mentioned, it seemed like Stu Levy wanted to use TP to fund other projects...and looking at those videos, looks like they'd be heading down an almost identical track.

While I'd like to see what they'd get, in terms of the "hidden gems" and LNs, I probably won't be buying anything until the last volume has been released. Laughing
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2013/03/chuck-austens-advice-to-tokyopop-creators-move-on wrote:
When Tokyopop did eventually fail I tried to get my rights back so I could release it POD and digital, but Stu wouldn’t give them up for any amount of money. The best he would offer was to sell a film option to a production company that I would have to bring to him, and even then he wanted an exorbitant fee, and consideration as director of the project.

ZeetherKID77 wrote:
I'm surprised that there are people who are excited about this, because after hearing that Stu "delusions of grandeur" Levy completely screwed over several of the artists who worked on their OEL stuff and is bent on continuing it with this relaunch, I won't pay a cent. They've got nothing to license unless they go for really obscure stuff, and I bet they'll try to put their "hip" spins on the translation again, leave SFX untranslated and make the quality bad overall. I still won't forgive them for their "whiteout and Sharpies" statement on Initial D and now that I've heard their contracts contain statements that are almost as immature and that they've caused trouble for folks, I'm not the only one disappointed in them. ...

overlordrae wrote:
... Then there's the OEL contract fiasco. I met an artist earlier this year that published with them, and unlike the Japanese companies, her rights will never revert back to her, so she essentially had to move on and work on new IPs. If I were an independent or hidden gem and had TP come my way, I'd run.

Anyone, and I mean anyone, enticing the idea of throwing any money at TokyoPop for whatever they might be able to offer in the future, should read those quotes above carefully. And think it over long and hard if it is really worth it.

Personally, if it is something I have to read, I will find some other way to do that...
Thatguy3331

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:11 am Reply with quote
Huh, I never realized they that that many issues... granted I never bothered to look it up and only care about one series so...yeah.
ximpalullaorg

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:22 am Reply with quote
I just read this news....and I really hope they'd stay "dead" or at least out of the business.
I'm still ticked off about the handling of Seikai no Monsho/Crest of the Stars (abridged version to save money on paper! With a book that is complex to begin with!) and Kino (rearranging the orders of the chapters - a move that apparently pissed off the original creator so the series stopped there, can someone confirm or deny this?).
Paragonias

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:35 am Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Paragonias wrote:
Wow, seems like the American Tokyopop really sucked. I didn't think it was this bad... holy *****.

TokyoPop USA began as "Mixxzine" which was an anthology manga that caught fire because they lucked into the Sailor Moon manga license (other titles were good, but the Sailor Moon was the bread & butter). They went on to split the magazine taking the "girl" titles into another magazine and shoving a bunch of "interest" articles about fashion and makeup and boys etc. into it hoping to take over the magazine world. Needless to say, the concept bombed and ticked a lot of people off. (while Sailor Moon was running, the magazine DID continue to sell)

Mixx then decided to rebrand itself as TokyoPop. They led the charge on the unflipped, collected volume movement (most publishers at the time were trying to sell US style 30 pg "comics") and really built a solid base of customers and were becoming the "go-to" manga publisher in the US. They decided the best way to leverage that was to:
-Start publishing butchered anime (Initial D with renamed characters and rescored music), everyone hated their efforts and derided their thinking
-Start the "Rising Stars of Manga" initiative. (a plan that said "hey, every kid that dreams of being a mangaka, give us your ideas including all rights in perpetuity, we'll publish some of them no matter how terrible if we think we can market it but we own it") Needless to say, there were people that went for it, very few of whom were customers, but it led to a WHOLE lot of online arguments
-(my personal favorite) Stu decided "reality TV" was the biggest thing since sliced bread and decided to break into Hollywood by making "America's Greatest Otaku", this went EXACTLY as you would think based on the above

There's other things too, but these were some of the big failures that were both financial burdens AND public humiliations for the company. When Borders closed, a bunch of product went back and the assumption is (was) that if TokyoPop wasn't funding Stu's ridiculous superstar dreams, then it may as well close shop, so "poof".

After reading this, I had the sudden urge to throw up. Like, why is "Stu" still alive? I don't even. In Germany's Tokyopop he would've lost his job just for considering doing anything else but publishing manga and manhwa.
We have a project similar to the "Rising Stars of Manga" thing, however, before publishing anything, every manga is evaluated by the staff and "experts".
Therefore only very few German mangaka exist and they obviously sell way less copies their Japanese colleagues.
As Tokyopop reached the "go-to" status in Germany I sincerely hope we won't get a "Stu" over here, otherwise the manga market will die.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:48 am Reply with quote
@Paragonias

Stu Levy can't lose his job because, as far as anyone knows, he is the sole owner of the Tokyo Pop name in the US. If he has any other investors, I feel rather sorry for them. I would hope for your sake that the German company that uses the Tokyo Pop brand name either bought the rights outright or are only paying a royalty.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:10 am Reply with quote
Let us also not forget that one inappropriately-timed Tweet...
http://robot6.comicbookresources.com/2011/03/tokyopop-lays-off-senior-editors/

I wont buy from Tokyopop. Not unless there is a major overhaul that includes reverting IPs of original property to the creators--especially the series they no longer will continue anyway--and cleaning up the translations. Y'know, like translating the sound effects.

I was going through my Saiyuki volumes the other day and was reminded of when they'd put a couple of pages of sound effect translations + page numbers in the back. It was pretty useless. If Yen Press can give the literal Japanese and English translation right next to the effect, then TP can do it.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Paragonias wrote:

After reading this, I had the sudden urge to throw up. Like, why is "Stu" still alive? I don't even. In Germany's Tokyopop he would've lost his job just for considering doing anything else but publishing manga and manhwa.

Tokyopop DE experimented with other things as well, but considering those experiments range from publishing anime (I think they had Emma in their catalog alongside a dozen other series?) to publishing comics such as Bone - perfectly respectable experiments for a manga publisher... So, eh, yeah, Levy is in a league of his own.

Quote:
We have a project similar to the "Rising Stars of Manga" thing, however, before publishing anything, every manga is evaluated by the staff and "experts".
Therefore only very few German mangaka exist and they obviously sell way less copies their Japanese colleagues.

Actually, IIRC atleast several of those German comics seem to sell very well. Or, at the very least, Tokyopop DE is more than willing to promote and invest in the artists that made them. They're invited on stage during opening and closing ceremonies of major German conventions, and their work is featured prominently at Tokyopop DE's booths (together with the big sellers from Japan).

If you think the German artists are seen as second class creators, you'd be surprised at how bad Tokyopop's "rising stars" had it. Artists were inexperienced, were paid peanuts and recieved hardly any guidence from their editors, resulting in more than a few titles that looked worse than doujinshi. Many of Tokyopop's 'original English-language Manga' were seen as a joke and made buyers wary reading comics not made in Japan. Fortunately, most of the talented ones (like Becky Cloonan and Svetlana Chmakova) now have promising careers elsewhere.

Quote:
As Tokyopop reached the "go-to" status in Germany I sincerely hope we won't get a "Stu" over here, otherwise the manga market will die.

I doubt that will happen. No sane person would willingly give the reins of the company to someone only interested in fueling his own ego. Tokyopop DE is run by Joachim Kaps, right? No need to worry then. That man gets comics and has a ton of experience publishing them.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:18 pm Reply with quote
Hidden gems not yet noticed... *slides Silver Spoon and Creamy Mami mangas* while that's a great idea why don't they re-release some older manga? I'd like to be able to buy Cardcaptor Sakura, Kodocha, and some of the others I missed out on.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 1:54 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
Hidden gems not yet noticed... *slides Silver Spoon and Creamy Mami mangas* while that's a great idea why don't they re-release some older manga? I'd like to be able to buy Cardcaptor Sakura, Kodocha, and some of the others I missed out on.

You want Cardcaptor Sakura? Dark Horse already rereleased it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8