• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA's Fate/stay night: UBW Trailer Previews Dub

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:05 am Reply with quote
mai yukino wrote:
I am truly disappointed that Liam O' Brien isn't reprising the role of Archer.

Hearing Liam reciting "I am the bone of my sword" in UBW was just SO badass... well, it's now easier for me to justify to myself why I'm not getting this.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:06 am Reply with quote
鏡 wrote:
This sounds overacted and miscast. Shirou and Rin are too high-pitched and don't sound severe enough, especially Rin who sounds more like a magical girl than a proper magus. The script isn't helping with lines like "say your prayers" and "ready or not".

Mela Lee is still a much better Rin then Carli Mosier, I don't think this dub sounds that great(Bryce Papenbrook again? really aniplex?) but it's leagues ahead of Sentai's Fate/Kaleid dub
GalicianNightmare

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote
7jaws7 wrote:
"Blond Servant" Laughing

I mean, that's kind of insulting to the fans.

He was credited that in the 1st season. He wasn't referred to as "Gilgamesh" until the 2nd Season. The trailer is doing what the Japanese did.

As for the dub, it's not as bad as people are making it out to be! Sure, Shirou is bad, but you've got to be kidding yourself if you think there is a single VA alive who can make him sound good. Not the Japanese, not Sam Riegel, not an Esperanto voice. No-one. Besides, people used to complain about Shirou's old English voice (Sam Riegel) and nobody really cares about Sugimiya's performance as Shirou, since LOL, Sasuke. Rin's voice is exactly how I expected it to sound. It reminds me of the good ol' days of 2006. Mela Lee IS Rin. Besides, weren't you lot raging when Mela Lee was replaced in Prisma Illya? You all desperately called for her return. Now she's back and you don't like her? Are you guys serious? Anyway, she's back and she sounds great. Sheh sounds kinda like a mixture of her first performance and Zero, which is something unique. I enjoyed Tony Oliver as Lancer in DEEN's FSN. He was excellent and he's sounding better than ever. Man, the guy's an anime legend for a reason. Archer's voice will take time to get used to, but he sounds good. Not Liam or Junichi-san, but oh well. Saber is Wahlgren, which is good, but I would have liked Higgins. Is she dead or something? Man, Higgins was nearly perfect as Saber, so yeah. Freeman sounds good, but Price would have sounded better, since he is older after all.

It's a trailer. Never judge a book by its cover. That is what lead to disappointment in 50 Shades of Grey. Looked good, but it was trash. Narnia looked bland, yet each book is a masterpiece on its own. So yeah, I'm giving the trailer a 7.5/10 or B.
levonr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:16 am Reply with quote
I'll wait for the release to judge.

theNightster wrote:
but it's leagues ahead of Sentai's Fate/Kaleid dub

I agree there, although thats not hard to do. I can't stand Sentai's Fate/Kaleid dub. I wish they hired Bang Zoom.
theNightster

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:29 am Reply with quote
Levonr wrote:
I'll wait for the release to judge.

theNightster wrote:
but it's leagues ahead of Sentai's Fate/Kaleid dub

I agree there, although thats not hard to do. I can't stand Sentai's Fate/Kaleid dub. I wish they hired Bang Zoom.
yeah I mean cynthia martinez while I do think she's a really good VA isn't my ideal Illya, Carli Mosier sounds more like a Saber then a Rin (although Saber isn't really in that show so whatever) and Shirou oh god if you think Bryce sounds bad here who ever voiced him Kaleid was much worse Sad
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:44 am Reply with quote
Am I the only one who thinks they all sound just fine?

I can see Bryce getting the kind of unwarranted fandumb hate storm reminiscent of JYB or Vic Mignogna. It's funny in a I-hate-this-community kind of way to see this phenomenon surface so often.

I'll be happily awaiting this series in English. Anime catgrin
Videogamep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:58 am Reply with quote
Sounds okay. Shirou might take some getting used to, but it's the kind of role that I can see Papenbrook pulling off. Rin sounds fine, as usual, but I wish they had kept Liam O'Brian as Archer. At least this new voice fits him alright. With Saber, I always preferred Kate Higgins to Kari Wahlgren, but she still sounds decent. Overall, I'd say it could work. I'll watch the premier at AX tomorrow, then decide.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:59 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

I can see Bryce getting the kind of unwarranted fandumb hate storm reminiscent of JYB or Vic Mignogna. It's funny in a I-hate-this-community kind of way to see this phenomenon surface so often.

You and me both Smile Bryce, I don't really have a problem with. Hell, it's Shirou; he's not that interesting to begin with, so his performance isn't asking for much other than sounding young and yelling a lot. Kaiji Tang as Archer, however (though he sounds fine)... we just don't think he'll match what Liam O'Brien brought to the table. Hey, maybe he'll surprise us. All we can do is wait and see. Razz
levonr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:19 am Reply with quote
Ashen Phoenix wrote:

At least Bryce sounds more Shirou's age. The trailer didn't show much to judge(a narration from him). As we heard in other roles he can greatly change tone. So I look forward to hearing him in combat where Shirou is more of a badass compared to the Fate route.

Although I admit Shirou isn't that big deal to me, I'm all about the ladies(Rin, Saber, Illya, Caster, etc) and Archer. Kaiji Tang's Archer does sound like a weaker imitation of Liam O'Brien but we barely heard anything. It will probably be good, just not as fantastic.
Akane the Catgirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
Oh God, I cannot believe how much WHINING I'm seeing from the first page. I have a serious question to ask of you guys. Would you be saying these things if you were like me and didn't watch the subtitled track? Really, this just sounds like "Waaaaah, it's not exactly like the Japanese, so it's BAD!" As someone who watches exclusively in English due to sensory processing issues, I cannot take this elitist attitude seriously. The dub sounds fine on it's own! Bryce Papenbrook is actually pretty good, as well as verterans like Kari Wahlgren and Crispin Freeman! Considering that most of you who are against the dub have probably seen the Japanese version already, why don't you just watch that again? Nobody's making you watch this show in English! Geez!

Rant over. Sorry if I came across as a bit harsh, but I felt this needed to be said by someone.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
I guess I'm too used to the Japanese voices, having just come off the sub and never having watched any of the previous Fate related series dubbed, but Bryce as Shirou just sounds wrong to me since it's pretty much his Kirito voice. Also, Rin sounds a bit too high voiced in what I saw there.

I wasn't sold on Archer either, until I heard Tang do a very good rendition of the Unlimited Blade Works chant here: https://soundcloud.com/kaiji-tang/ubw-archer-mix
so he could grow into the role.

Oh, it's really weird to me hearing Shirou's name in western order. He'll always be Emiya Shirou to me.

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Fri Jul 03, 2015 12:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
SouthPacific

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:48 am Reply with quote
Don't care for the dub, but I can't wait for that gorgeous BD box set Anime exclamationVery Happy!
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
I don't know about Lee's Rin, but I think it will work, overall. The rest of the dub sounds pretty good and it might turn out strong as everyone gets acclimated to their roles. I just only hope…that the dub will…avoid…all of those annoying pauses…that plagued…Fate/Zero's dub…
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Barbobot

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
I guess I'm too used to the Japanese voices, having just come off the dub and never having watched any of the previous Fate related series dubbed, but Bryce as Shirou just sounds wrong to me since it's pretty much his Kirito voice. Also, Rin sounds a bit too high voiced in what I saw there.

That's pretty much how I feel. Bryce seems to only have a single voice that he can do and hearing Kirito/Eren's voice come out of Emiya's mouth just sounds odd. It seems like a lot of people here think fondly of Mela Lee's Rin and she's always had the role (excluding Prism Illya), but my only experience with her as Rin is in Fate/Zero. That's the only Fate dub I have experience and I felt her voice for Rin worked as a child, but it sounds too high pitched for the aggressive, older Rin. I don't have any issues with Archer in this version, but I don't have anything to compare him to previously so maybe it is a downgrade.

Glad to see the Fate/Zero roles are being reprised though as that dub was excellent.
levonr

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:59 am Reply with quote
I believe Bryce is chosen for a lot for these heroic roles because he has a very hero tone in his voice. A character with a hero complex is perfect for him Razz Also while I liked Sam Riegel I always thought his voice sounded a little older than he should for a teenager. So I'm in the minority right now and think this recast is a good choice.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4