• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2006-11-24]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gage

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Gotta love that cat. Razz
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 6:36 pm Reply with quote
Swissman wrote:
Zac Bertschy wrote:
Hell, his colleague at Ghibli, Isao Takahata, directed probably the most ridiculously over-the-top eco-movie ever, Pom Poko Tanuki. That movie is like 8 hours long and every second of it are designed to tell you that the ENVIRONMENT IS IMPORTANT, WEEP FOR THE TANUKI!

Well, here again, that's just ONE of many messages the film tries to convey. More important than the whole blatant enviroment stick is actually the more hidden message about Japan's loss of traditions and a longing for the past. Takahata and Miyazaki have virtually ingrained this longing in their work, as many other anime and manga creators have as well, but both of them are more preachy about Japan's transformation than others.
Not to mention, the loss of green fields on a relatively small island nation as Pom Poko is set in and round the outer fringes of Tokyo, a city that keeps swollowing more and more of it's surrounding green and pleasent lands and excreting it into concrete and tarmac which is what the main message was all about. We have the same problem here in the south of England around London. We even have our own brand Pom Poko style animation called "The Animals Of Farthing Wood".
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:17 am Reply with quote
the best animation series (non japanese) that you can watch is a french series from the 80's called THE SUNKEN WORLDS (Les mondes engloutis) or in spanish "Espartaco y el sol bajo el mar (Espartaco and the sun beneath the sea)

"From the times of the great disaster, the Arcanian people believed in their sun Thera, until their sun start to die, desperately, the arcanian children broken the law and got inside the secret files and discover a secret that filled them with hope, using forbidden thechniques they created a messenger woman (Arkana) and send her for help to the world of the top, with the help of a forgotten warrior traveling across the stratos (Spartakus) they will travel though different civilizations looking for the secrets to save the sun"

Long ago, the mystical civilization of Arkadia was one of the most advanced places on Earth, until the end of the world came and forced the land and it's people underground. After that great cataclysm, the Arkadians lived deep in the center of the Earth and created an artificial sun called the Shagma (Thera in the American version). But one fateful day years later, the Shagma began to fade out. In a desperate act, the Children of this unusual civilization and their ship with a mind of it's own broke into to the secret museum, which was considered forbidden, except for the creatures who are in charge of it.

If you wanna discover something as good as anime series, this one is awesome discovery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54NrJi-CjD8&mode=related&search=

http://shagmir.free.fr/0_accueil/index.html
Lanisatu

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:28 am Reply with quote
SoloButterfly wrote:
I don't think shoujo series would do as well on TV, so I guess I agree with the networks.

Two words: Sailor Moon

Given the immense success of Sailor Moon, at least on YTV (it was their first really big anime hit), they should logically make an attempt to air more shoujo. There is obviously a large female audience that networks seem to be ignoring.

I'm suggesting a mix of shounen and shoujo, to appeal to a greater number of viewers. Start with one shoujo series and see how it goes.

In Canada, while some people may actually subscribe to ADV's Anime Network, I doubt that it's many (correct me if I'm wrong). Funimation channel isn't available.

YTV knows that there is a large audience who likes anime, hence their proposal for the Anime Channel (still no word on that, right?). If they added something like Fruits Basket to the Bionix block, they would have yet another big draw. (I keep hearing people suggest Fullmoon, as it's dubbed in Canada -- really, I'm not picky. Just something with potential.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Frank0115932

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Yea, Nelvana Totaly Runied The KidsWB Dub Of CardCaptors (US Name).
Well, At Least During Its Time, People Watched Digimon (US FOXKids/Saban Dub) Or Monster Rancher (US FOXKids Dub) On TV. (Was It 2002 Or 2000, I Forgot) But I Remember That Most Of Saban's Anime Dubs, For Example MCK (I Wonder If Disney Had Un-Aired/Lost Epsiodes They Didn't Cover After/Before The FOXKids/4Kids Takeover... Let Me Know If They Air New Ones That FOX Didn't Air, But Disney Could, I'm Still Liking The Show Even Though It Was Gone To 4Kids Oblivion, But Ressurected As Disney/Saban-Branded), Was Pretty Good, 4-Star Greatness On All Of Their Shows, Altough The Credit Was Given To Digimon, It Stayed On For 4 Seasons (US And Japan), 2 Movies (Counting Original Season 1 Film And Original Season 2 Film; Japan) And 1 Movie In US (Same As Japan, But You Know Already.)
And Nobody Watched FOXKids's Other Juggernaught: Daigunder When It Was On TV, Now Disney Is Airing The Lost, Un-Aired Episodes When The Show Got Canceled/Canceled When FOXKids Was Taken Over By The Courrupt 4Kids Entertainment. (FOXBOX-4KidsTV)
Speaking Of "4Kids", 4Kids Also Made A Huge Mistake Dubbing One Piece!
The Show's Script Was Ruined, The Stuff Was Re-Made In A Poor Production Studio In New York, And People Hated It!
The TV Tokyo Version Is WAY Better Than 4Kids's Badly Dubbed Version.
And Also, Note That 4Kids Also Messed Up A Number Of Anime They've Aired Since Yu-Gi-Oh!, Take Kirby: RBAY! (Abrev. Because It's Long, But Short.) Some Of The Content Was Re-Animated For 4Kids, And OF Cource, The Magna Proves That The US Version Was Messed Up A Bit. Also 4Kids Might Have Almost Ruined GI Joe Sigma 6. And The Ultraman Tiga US Dub Sucked So Much, No Wonder 4Kids Canned It!

But I Will Continue To Give Respect To Saban's Anime Empire From FOXKids's 1986-2002 Run, Because They Made The Right Turns And The Right Stops To Make Their Shows The Best, Including My Still Obessed Fan-Ness Of Digimon And MCK (We Miss You [sunrise Spring 2002 - sunset (well, technacly Mid-Season Break, But Never Returned) September 2002] )

--The FZ
Quote:
Rocks Kids, FOXKids
--FOXKids Promo circa 2002
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Nagisa

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Frank0115932 wrote:
Yea, Nelvana Totaly Runied The KidsWB Dub Of CardCaptors (US Name).

You were warned about this earlier, but please make use of proper grammar on this site. Capitalizing every single word in the sentence makes your posts very hard to read, as do your frequent spelling mistakes and odd usage of commas.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8