• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seiyu's Life! (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:59 pm Reply with quote

Seiyu's Life (TV)

Genres: Comedy
Themes: Voice acting

Plot Summary: The series centers on Futaba Ichinose, Ichigo Moesaki, and Rin Kohana, three rookie voice actresses. The manga features small but humorous observations of the voice actor industry.
----------------------------------

Episode 1:

This was a surprising show for me. I didn't come into the series expecting much at all. However, at the end, it made me laugh and was quite entertaining. I think it's mostly because of the main characters and their reactions.

In particular, Futaba's role in this really made it worthwhile seeing how nervous she got when she arrived at the studio. Then, there's the actual voice recording part that was fun to watch. Rin seems to be quite talented judging by what she has shown so far despite her age.

Overall, fun episode. ED theme song is also cute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

So what are we going to compare this too? For those who watched it the show that comes to mind is Shirobako from a few seasons back, and that is a terrible thing. Shirobako blew away expectations as a look at the industry, and touched on many of the difficulties of those in it. Seiyu's Life looks like it is a lot more focused on the one aspect of the voice acting portion, and I think kind of lighter with more focus on the heroine or will be trio of fairly young girls. We don't want to compare it to Shirobako, the production values are clearly lower, and this meant to be more moe.

One thing I like to do with something like this would be to check the actual voice actors (seiyuu), and I actually kind of like that the main three have not done a huge amount of roles. Anyway, I liked Futuba's dual voicing with also the toy, even if it was actually kind of done with Shirobako also.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:08 am Reply with quote
I was looking forward to this, but it bored me to tears. The real deal-breaker though is the mascot narrator. I'd rather jam pencils in my ears than listen to that irritating voice butting into the flow of the story every other minute.
Stark700

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
I think Ichigo is just pretty adorable in this show for her role. Perhaps she is trying a bit harder than the other two leads though. Rin is still imo the best of the trio at the moment.

And wow, that's quite a bit of competition for the seiyu roles.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:03 pm Reply with quote
So we gonna have a guest seiyu every week? That's pretty cool.

I'm enjoying it quite a bit. That ending theme's too cute.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:52 pm Reply with quote
So they have good chemistry together. An offer to do a web radio show between them, that could be a lucky break, I do not know a lot about it but I do know of the genre. Especially if they can use it to stretch their vocal range and sell themselves.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:14 am Reply with quote
I liked episode 2 quite a bit more than the first. Seeing the two adults working part time jobs as well as those who are just fresh out of training to be a seiyuu line up at the front of the office despite not having anything to do just so someone might remember their faces and names just shows how dire it can be for new voice talent without any assurance that they could even be given an audition let alone actually getting a role.

This is why I love studios like Dogakobo who regularly use brand new seiyuu for many of the starring roles. It's good to have a greater breadth of voice talent instead of the superstars taking up 5-10 roles in a season each.

Looking forward to watching more, particularly to see some background to the web radio shows.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
An appearance by Yukari Tamura and singing the C-Cube opening? Nice.

Well their radio debut sure was a mess, but lots of fun to watch.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
Their radio show was all kinds of awful but it was fun to watch. And I like how the girls aren't instant professionals, because talking in front of a mic with no script is really really hard and it seems natural for the inexperienced to stumble. The girls do have great chemistry together so I look forward to them improving and proving their worth in future episodes.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:29 am Reply with quote
Episode 3

They did indeed stumble in their first radio episode, although I think a little work from the director perhaps could have done a bit more. For a trio of amateurs they might have needed a bit more direction in terms of who should lead what topics, what order they should answer in, and maybe how exactly they should set a tone. I think that their greatest attribute is that they are amateurs, the mistakes like saying a bad response could totally have been the fuel of their discussion.

on the upside a pre-recording means they could edit some problems. I was thinking earlier that I really don't listen to radio much myself, but in truth I do occasionally listen to podcasts and certain lets-plays that kind of have similarities. So I kind of find myself thinking that there really is something in here.

Just telling them free talk sounds like a horrible idea.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

So we got Yui Horie this episode, who is a big star and great to see her portrayed here. Her being shown as really not matching her image to a comedic level kind of made the whole thing all the more fun. Well really the whole idol thing is kind of ridiculous in some ways in how it expects these people to always match some super idol habits all the time, and it is kind of what Ichigo has been trying to live up to. So I think it was that there has to be downtime for Yui Horie to be like Hoi Yurie, made the being the image all the more impactful.

But actually I would say the best part of this episode was getting us onto Ichigo's side. We had seen a bit of her before that she was working a rather unglamorous part time job, and we got the frustration here of her losing that and everything else starting to go too. She has been the confident one with trust in the strength of her image, but here we saw how she too can actually struggle with insecurities. We knew her father earlier as taking maybe what we thought was too big a role in her fandom, but it took me hearing that her mother had passed away and she had left her father behind (he pushed her to go forward too) that we got a sense of how important the relationship is.

I have not really said it yet, but I find this show's OP to be among my favourites of the season, I like how it feels to shift gears, a bit hard to explain but it feels fun. The ED also manages to make the whole stick puppet thing work in a way that feels like its own segment.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Episode 6

With Futaba getting excited about the anime version of something she played the role in, my automatic thought was like "you know that the anime often does not match the drama CD with the cast, right?". It was an interesting touch to delve on her having so much frustration.

Hey, we got a bit of Rie Kugimiya, now that feels like a big name. I thought maybe I would try to see if there were times she did not get the anime role that she played in a drama CD. I can find Ebiten, although that was a quite under the radar as far as anime go, and something called Nagasarete Airantou.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:25 am; edited 2 times in total
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 5:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, it was a pretty obvious fail flag, but that Rin got the part instead was just twisting the knife. Of course Rin, being the sweetheart that she is, felt just as awful about it and it's nice they've come to an understanding instead of dragging out any resentment.

And Ichigo is totally clueless but buys everyone cake anyways.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Most underrated show of the season. I think too many people wrote it off as a "poor man's Shirobako," when it's actually "a seiyu's Shirobako". This show focuses on young adult professionals and their relationships and can be just as brutal. Having a character's gas and electricity cut off because she doesn't make enough to pay the bills on time is hardcore, even if it's done as a joke, it's dark. So is showing the disappointment of losing a role to a younger colleague. But mostly the show is genuinely funny and compelling.

DuskyPredator wrote:
Episode 5

So we got Yui Horie this episode, who is a big star and great to see her portrayed here. Her being shown as really not matching her image to a comedic level kind of made the whole thing all the more fun. Well really the whole idol thing is kind of ridiculous in some ways in how it expects these people to always match some super idol habits all the time, and it is kind of what Ichigo has been trying to live up to. So I think it was that there has to be downtime for Yui Horie to be like Hoi Yurie, made the being the image all the more impactful.

Yeah, I loved that part. Especially when she said "there's lint on my tights," I can so relate! But I didn't get the Yui Horie/Hoi Yurie joke, it needed a translator's note. Can you explain it?

Quote:

I have not really said it yet, but I find this show's OP to be among my favourites of the season, I like how it feels to shift gears, a bit hard to explain but it feels fun. The ED also manages to make the whole stick puppet thing work in a way that feels like its own segment.

The show's OP really grew on me. I didn't like all the (literal) tonal shifts at first, but it's fun and it really fits the show.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:35 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
Yeah, I loved that part. Especially when she said "there's lint on my tights," I can so relate! But I didn't get the Yui Horie/Hoi Yurie joke, it needed a translator's note. Can you explain it?

My thought was just of how "Yu" from "Yui" replaced the "Ho" in "Horie" to create "Yurie", and vice versa in "Ho" replacing the "Yu" to create "Hoi". Which I think is supposed to sound bland.

That sounds like a mess of an explanation. Neutral What I mean is that it was like saying that she is like herself, but like an imposter, an opposite to what her image is as a glamorous star. And probably says something about how Ichigo Moesaki perceives names as part of an image, her name literally has strawberry (Ichigo) and "moe" in it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2