• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Beauty & The Beast Couples

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:07 am Reply with quote
Um, guys? The new poll totally isn't working. It's showing completed poll results with no votes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:11 am Reply with quote
XerBlade wrote:
Um, guys? The new poll totally isn't working. It's showing completed poll results with no votes.

Same for me.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:13 am Reply with quote
Once the new poll works, I am going to vote for Snow White with the Red Hair.

EDIT: I only voted for one series. I don't see much point in voting for 3 choices in a best of poll.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
You can vote for a full top 3 (once it starts working), so I guess you haven't thought of the other 2 yet?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:20 am Reply with quote
Do Shinra and Celty count?
Celty can be both the beauty and the beast at the same time if she wants to.

Pool's fixed so I voted for DRRR, School-Live and Prison School. While I expected to like DRRR all along, School-Live and Prison School both surprised me.
tintor2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
Kagome and Inuyasha maybe?
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
There is no possibility for anything other than Non Non Biyori Repeat for me.

It just dovetails almost flawlessly with the first season.

I will admit that I CAN NOT BE objective about this.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
How about a MALE Beauty and a FEMALE Beast relationship? Anyone know any examples of that? Just curious Razz
Touma

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:
How about a MALE Beauty and a FEMALE Beast relationship? Anyone know any examples of that? Just curious Razz

Possibly Takumi Usui and Misaki Ayuzawa in Maid Sama
Usui is always acting cool and collected and trying to moderate Misaki's behavior, in addition to seducing her.
Most of the male students would probably consider Misaki to be rather beastly.
kazenoyume

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I found Kagome and Inuyasha's omission very weird. They seem to me to be one of, if not the, most famous examples of this archetype in anime.

I don't think Shishio and Yumi fit. Shishio does love Yumi, but there's no hidden soft heart ala Beauty and the Beast under there. He's just a bad guy. A great villain, but not an accurate example of the trope you described in the first paragraph.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:

The first one that comes to mind is from Oh! Edo Rocket. Slight spoilers so I'll just put their names behind spoiler quotes: spoiler[Seikichi/Sora] and spoiler[Akai/Yu]. However, while the second one is an official couple, the first one isn't (though there are a lot hints to show feelings exist on both sides).

It's a question I've considered before, because the beauty/beast trope is one of my faves, and I'd like to see more of the reverse where the female is the beast. I need to think on this one a bit more and see what else I can come up with.

----

EDIT: I'll keep adding more as I think of them.

----

The following list contains only females who can transform into a beast-like creature or who is a beast/monster/demon.

• As previously mentioned, spoiler[Seikichi] and spoiler[Sora] from Oh! Edo Rocket.

• spoiler[Akai] and spoiler[Yu] from Oh! Edo Rocket, who are an official couple.

• Lawrence and Holo from Spice and Wolf.

• Okay, this one's stretching it, but Hajime and Nayuta from Shingu. This is stretching it in multiple ways. One, Nayuta is a person spoiler[who can transform into a guardian that kinda looks like a beast]. And two, their relationship is more of a friendship (you basically have to be wearing shipping goggles if you want to perceive it as anything more).

• Spoilers for the 3x3 Eyes manga in way later volumes: spoiler[Haan Hazrat] and spoiler[Youko Ayanokouji].

Last edited by Crisha on Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:23 pm; edited 11 times in total
Raebo101

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, Touma and willag Smile
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you don't read this list of mismatched couples before the last petal falls on your 21st birthday, you'll be cursed forever. On the plus side, maybe all your anime figures came to life.

All my anime figures are Gundams, so that probably wouldn't work out too well for my cats.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 1:50 pm Reply with quote
In Beauty and the Beast couples, I often prefer the Beast to physically look and behave beastly, not just be a normal-looking guy who acts the part of the jerk. That kills the whole mood for me, personally.

I wonder if there'll ever be a same sex spin on B&tB, like a beastly monster man and a meek bookish guy falling for each other. Sure would make things interesting.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 2:01 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
7. Nanami/Tomoe (Kamisama Kiss)

Hm. Neither of those characters is a beast and I think the case could be made that Tomoe is prettier than Nanami.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3