• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Snow White with the Red Hair

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:03 am Reply with quote
I meant it literally. Smile Trying to see what's on the page when it's all in black and white is actually more difficult than reading microfiche. Unless it's very sparsely drawn, like say, most of Natsume's Book of Friends, I can't tell what I'm looking at on the page, especially with action sequences, so I might as well just read a book. I have to really, really, really want to read it to make it worth the effort.

When they start publishing manga in color to help me sort out the images, I'll reconsider.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I like this new episode and I like it that this season has the potential to be better than the previous one. It has definitely been better plot-wise so far.

Quote:
If it were not for the great animation quality of Bones, I would have dropped this show long ago, and may do so this season if these quirks keep up and there remains absolutely no character development.

While I agree that there is no character development for the main characters, what is nice about this show, apart from the main heroine not being a crybaby who needs a prince to rescue her every time she falls into troubles, is that the development of their romantic relationship is not put on hold. Something I cannot tell about the romance in Yona. Secondly, Zen’s advances are not creepy. Even when he kisses Shirayuki and by doing this encroached on her privacy, he later apologizes for it. Nice to see a guy who is considerate and knows how to behave. It is not something one can say about Hak who definitely stepped out of line on few occasions and never apologized for it.

Snow White has its own strengths, they just happen to be different than Yona's.

Quote:

Obi being her guardian was so obvious and is so rote it isn't funny and seems the only way to introduce tension by standard love triangle methods (and will probably lead to more standard rote material.)

I don’t think so. The main problem is whether Shirayuki can be with Zen despite their status being different. There is no need for a love triangle to complicate things.
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:21 am Reply with quote
Seems Bones got the bugs out- I didn't notice anything particularly bad in this episode with regard to animation quality.

And it gave us an ending that is rather hopeful, at least for me.

Aylinn wrote:
the development of their romantic relationship is not put on hold. Something I cannot tell about the romance in Yona.

That is one of the things I like about it though, Yona has some really important things to take care of and I think it alright (and actually sends a good message) that she places priority on those things. There are two things that are very common in media in general and that is that a woman has to have a love interest and that a man always gets the girl. (before any complaints, again "very common") -- and truthfully, the lack of either of these common themes is one of the things that made Princess Mononoke really good.

Aylinn wrote:
Secondly, Zen’s advances are not creepy. Even when he kisses Shirayuki and by doing this encroached on her privacy, he later apologizes for it. Nice to see a guy who is considerate and knows how to behave. It is not something one can say about Hak who definitely stepped out of line on few occasions and never apologized for it.

I agree, and maybe that is the draw for many people, and I definitely don't have any complaints on the relation between the two of them, I just don't find the subject that interesting. I could do without any of it in Akatsuki no Yona. Especially the honey scene, it was totally unnecessary and gross.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:51 am Reply with quote
Cute transitional episode, although they seem to have gone out of their way to make Castle Tanbarun seem preternaturally awesome - even the royal-escape dungeons are architectural marvels LOL

Still too busy enjoying Obi in livery to notice anyone else, but Rona & Eugena were adorably annoying (or annoyingly adorable, YMMV).

Izana is just messing around ("OK, Mitsuhide, stand right there..."), but you get the feeling everyone in Castle Tanbarun is hoping this trip will turn into a Disney/fairytale love connection. Right genre-savvy, wrong Prince Wink

Is it just me, or is anyone else having a hard time taking Kadzuki seriously as a threat? Not that bishonen villains aren't a thing (there's a long history...) but he's too, I dunno, perky. I think I imbued him with more ominous mystery & menace in the manga.

-------------

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I meant it literally. Smile

Sorry to say, I had not even considered that possibility of manga being literally illegible, but I read UX/Accessibility stuff for work - I ought to know some folks are wired differently Embarassed Didn't mean to put you on the spot @Gina - maybe someone will come up with some clever use of digital eReader tech to improve that down the line.

You might consider writing a blog post, or sending a letter to one of the Library journals. Librarians hail the graphic novel as a "great equalizer", but you raise an interesting point. I'm sure it's not just you out there.

-------------

Go Mifune wrote:
I could do without any of it in Akatsuki no Yona. Especially the honey scene, it was totally unnecessary and gross.

Different strokes - that is one of my favorite fanservice shots/scenes, if anything it was hotter in anime than in the manga Smile

I love my strong heroines with their pragmatic priorities, and ability to stand on their own two feet, career (of whatever sort) firmly in mind. But seeing a lover going out of his/her mind with All.The.Feels and having a passion-overload is pretty awesome too. Not necessarily okay IRL, but acceptable in fiction IMO, within (highly-person-specific) limits.

Skip Beat is a great one for that as well. For as much as it's about Kyouko's evolving acting career, over the years (14!) it's also become about Ren's struggle to not overwhelm her (or himself) with his feelings/passions (and to not implode from an identity crisis, but that's another matter).

[ETA: Will respond to your other PM when I get a chance, still wrangling the snow Razz]
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:04 am Reply with quote
It really feels like this arc is designed to bring back all the season one characters with rapey vibes and make them a bit more palatable. It kind of works with Raj, just because you get the sense that - with a little bit of guidance - he could turn out to be an okay guy. Less so with Mihaya.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:04 am Reply with quote
Go Mifune wrote:

That is one of the things I like about it though, Yona has some really important things to take care of and I think it alright (and actually sends a good message) that she places priority on those things. There are two things that are very common in media in general and that is that a woman has to have a love interest and that a man always gets the girl.

I would agree if Yona realized Hak’s feelings and told him that she has to focus on other things, etc., but since she is not even aware of his feelings, I don’t see it as Yona’s placing priorities on other things. For me the romance in Yona just falls into the all too common trope, she doesn’t realize, he likes her, without a good reason.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 6:47 am Reply with quote
Catching up on comments.... thank god we're back to talking about the show the thread is named after.

How could anyone say there's no character development for the mains? Even Mitsuhide comments on how they've changed each other for the better. This show is an example of it. Zen is no longer screwing around- he's taken up his brother's challenge and proving that he's serious about his job and he's approaching decisions and situations as an adult. Shirayuki is doing the same in the neighboring country, her responses much more tempered and diplomatic.

The other characters were fun as well. Raj's changes are lovely to see. I like when a series takes the time to flesh out characters who had been assumed cliche. Obi's face when Shirayuki surprised him with her attitude about seeing old friends was priceless. Izuna admitting he's testing the two, and then setting up Mitsuhide. All these little character moments are why this is one of the best anime of the season.

I think the series is moving forward quite well, though for those who equate action with story movement, that's coming up.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:29 pm Reply with quote
Part 2 of this anime has been good, but not as strong as part 1 in my opinion. But episode 16 was finally able to recapture the magic from part 1 of the show. I hope things continue to be this strong from here on.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I give ep16 extra brownie points for that breathtaking Library, and the detail work done on the ball (that she/they didn't even get to go to!). Other than that, it was a bit annoying the way they split time between Clarines & Tanbarun, and damn that cliffhanger! :shakes fist:

Quote:
Obi is visibly upset and conflicted as he realizes that he might have warm feelings for her, doubtless due to his loyalty to Zen and Shirayuki's shyness in admitting that she misses the prince.

Quote:
Zen, on the other hand, looks as if he may be willing (and ready) to throw everything away for Shirayuki – his defiance of his brother and his body language, which indicates barely contained energy, speaks of his determination to keep her by him in the future, no matter what Izana says.

There's a subtle evolution going on here I think that SY is the catalyst of, but not exactly the object of. IMO Obi and Zen are both battling with what they thought they wanted out of life (freedom and duty, respectively) and what they are now starting to want (duty/responsibility and freedom, respectively).

Obi is starting to fall for Shirayuki, sure. But more than that, he's starting to like the feeling of being needed, like people expect him to be there to help out. He's got 'lone wolf' written all over him, and it's quite the shock to actually want to be tied to other people.

Zen's case is the opposite - after the incident with his friend-turned-assassin, he's been 100% dedicated to being a genuine aid to his brother. Romantic feelings aside, the idea that anything could be more important to him than Izana, or Clarines in general, has got to be pretty strange. He might've been as shocked as Izana to hear himself actually say it in those terms. (Even back when he was threatening Raj during the official royal visit, he didn't quite want to put those words to his intentions.)
Merida

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:32 am Reply with quote
Some kind of "abduction plot" seems to be compulsory for this type of story, but i really could have done without it...i've been enjoying this show mainly for its lack of overblown (shoujo) drama, so i'm hoping i won't be disappointed.
Go Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:44 am Reply with quote
And--- yeah, big jump in my personal rankings.

I think this the best episode yet (including the first part).
I have been noticing that detail too mandisaw. though I think this the first episode this season to hit all of it. Last episode the art and detail were just as good, but this episode had some really great cinematography to add to that.

Also, I actually like the split time-- I felt it added to the tension. But not just that, there was character development that positively added to that tension for Obi and Raj. And though I knew the outcome of the Zen and Izana conversation in general, the scene was excellent, the voice acting was not forced or stiff.

mandisaw wrote:

There's a subtle evolution going on here I think that SY is the catalyst of, but not exactly the object of. IMO Obi and Zen are both battling with what they thought they wanted out of life (freedom and duty, respectively) and what they are now starting to want (duty/responsibility and freedom, respectively).

He's got 'lone wolf' written all over him, and it's quite the shock to actually want to be tied to other people.

I had not thought of that. It does fit the development of their characters for sure, and maybe I understood that on a subconscious level and was partially the cause for this episode being so satisfying to me.

Merida wrote:
Some kind of "abduction plot" seems to be compulsory for this type of story, but i really could have done without it

hmmm... I hope not, i could do without that as well. As it is, considering what mandisaw said, i would hope to see Obi do well and have Raj do his part too (which would also tie in with his development this episode).
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:08 pm Reply with quote
It would be fun for the main guy trio to clash one way or another and then, when they finally decide to work together - they find Shirayuki already escaped the place and is back home, playing poker with Izana.
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Not to be a contrarian, but I'm finding myself less enthused than most about the current developments. I feel like the first 4 episodes would have been better paced as 3. There wasn't quite enough there to stretch them out this much. Though, to be fair, it's probably a little awkward no matter how you do it. I'm hoping the pacing awkwardness will end now that the story is shifting gears.

Thing is, I can't say I'm very enthusiastic for the whole Kazuki story arc.

Poor Shirayuki hasn't really had a chance to do much and now we're setting up developments which will likely result in her... also not doing a lot, since armed conflict is not exactly her strong point. Our poor main character is having her show stolen away from her.

Worse, the show has been pretty bad with villains. I've felt the show is at its best when Zen & Shirayuki can interact with other characters with some depth to them. Problem is, the villains are all pretty flat characters while they're in villain mode. Sure, there's been some redemptions after the fact which allowed them to get fleshed out, but they've all been boring as acting antagonists.

Well, I can always hope I'm wrong.
mandisaw

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Merida wrote:
Some kind of "abduction plot" seems to be compulsory for this type of story, but i really could have done without it...i've been enjoying this show mainly for its lack of overblown (shoujo) drama, so i'm hoping i won't be disappointed.

Hello Bucket wrote:
Poor Shirayuki hasn't really had a chance to do much and now we're setting up developments which will likely result in her... also not doing a lot, since armed conflict is not exactly her strong point. Our poor main character is having her show stolen away from her.

This arc is a bit problematic, since Shirayuki is doubly out of her element - away from the herbalist group, and away from Zen et al. Maybe look at it as an opportunity to see how SY does on her own, and how others respond in her absence?

Hello Bucket wrote:
Worse, the show has been pretty bad with villains.

The jerkface noble shooting the birds was pretty bad. His overweening sense of entitlement combined with the fisherman-girl's skimpy outfits always made me think the story about birds was an allegory for "prima noctae", in an editor-approved fashion. (Apparently the wedding night aspect is historically contested, but nobles having their way with commoners is fairly well confirmed.)

We just met that pirate chick - she had a pretty badass intro Evil or Very Mad

Go Mifune wrote:
But not just that, there was character development that positively added to that tension for Obi and Raj. And though I knew the outcome of the Zen and Izana conversation in general, the scene was excellent, the voice acting was not forced or stiff.

Oh yeah, the supporting cast here is strong. Some shows will have strong romantic leads, but then skimp on the rest, but that's not the case here. I've got several supporting-char moments on my "must see" list, so I'm looking forward to the action parts getting underway.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2016 12:35 am Reply with quote
mandisaw wrote:
This arc is a bit problematic, since Shirayuki is doubly out of her element - away from the herbalist group, and away from Zen et al.

I wish that the show (and the material it's based on, for that matter) played around more with the fact that Shirayuki's trip is basically a homecoming. After all, she's back in her homeland, so close to where she grew up, yet is clearly further from her comfort zone than she was at the end of last season.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 18