• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Monster Musume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blackice85

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:08 pm Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:
It's too bad they couldn't find 1-2 minutes in an earlier episode to animate the "fetish omake" that establishes Kimihito as a "leg man," which allows that scene with Rachnera to make a lot more sense instead of seeming like a completely random character setting.

Yeah the adaptation is very nice, but the manga does some things better, like the omake here which is actually somewhat pertinent. Maybe they'll show up as BD specials?
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
There really needs to be a Monster Squad spinoff, because they're honestly way more interesting than the harem part of this story.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:39 pm Reply with quote
WitchWatcher wrote:
would a cyclops be a good sniper given their poor depth perception?

To answer your question succinctly: yes a cyclops can be a good sniper. I think binocular depth perception only works for close distances, or at least I reason that the triangulation feature of human binocular depth perception only works for close distances. For longer distances there are various other visual cues which give away the distance, for example the perceived size of the the object looked at from a distance.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
WitchWatcher wrote:

To answer your question succinctly: yes a cyclops can be a good sniper. I think binocular depth perception only works for close distances,

When is the last time you saw a binocular rifle scope?
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:53 pm Reply with quote
That's exactly my point.
DLH112

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The four members of the MON squad have some useful and interesting uses traits

pretty sure only one of those 2 words is supposed to be there.
dizzon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:46 pm Reply with quote
A female cyclops with purple hair... I will never be able to look at that character and not think of Leela from Futurama.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:07 am Reply with quote
DLH112 wrote:
Quote:
The four members of the MON squad have some useful and interesting uses traits

pretty sure only one of those 2 words is supposed to be there.

Fix'd. It happens.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:06 am Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Hyperdrve wrote:
WitchWatcher wrote:

To answer your question succinctly: yes a cyclops can be a good sniper. I think binocular depth perception only works for close distances,

When is the last time you saw a binocular rifle scope?

Depth perception with a scope would be an advantage... but if you're using iron-sights you're arguably better off only using one eye. That's why some competition shooters use glasses that block their non-dominant eye.

At 2KM depth perception would be irrelevant because human depth perception isn't accurate enough for sniping purposes at that range.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
myskaros wrote:

Good thing they don't use the Constitution in Japan then! I understand your point, but I think the idea is that Kimihito is already attracted to them, which is why he was "chosen." I mean, honestly, it's going to be a contrivance no matter how it's spun, so I wouldn't put too much thought into it.

LOL, Japan has a constitution, and it happens to be largely based on the US constitution.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:14 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
During the police briefing at the beginning, it's clearly admitted that the bill is still new and therefore has tons of holes and problems that weren't considered when it was first written up.

This is called "lampshade hanging." They're basically calling attention to the absurdity of the law's provisions by giving a reason for it, even though that reason is pretty unrealistic.

No real-world legislation would ever be this full of loopholes. It also hasn't really explained why sex with a demi-human is illegal, or constitutes "harming" said individual. This only serves as a plot point to establish unresolved sexual tension, because its funny, and because this isn't a hentai game.... yet?

On an unrelated note, the argument that Darling-kun is appealing to the girls is largely moot, since the canon establishes that lamia, harpies, and probably mermaids (if you go by the original version) all require human males to breed. And possibly Rachnera's species? OTOH Cerea's culture values loyalty to a single (male) individual. And Suu is... Suu.

Now, if all the demi-human species bred with other demi-human species, and all the males looked like the orcs, while all the females looked like the girls do, more than likely Darling-kun would seem incredibly feminine to all the girls. Which doesn't seem to be true.

Trivia: The title of the book on Smith's desk in the ending is "The Inter-Species Exchange Act for Dummies."
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:35 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
During the police briefing at the beginning, it's clearly admitted that the bill is still new and therefore has tons of holes and problems that weren't considered when it was first written up.

This is called "lampshade hanging." They're basically calling attention to the absurdity of the law's provisions by giving a reason for it, even though that reason is pretty unrealistic.

No real-world legislation would ever be this full of loopholes. It also hasn't really explained why sex with a demi-human is illegal, or constitutes "harming" said individual. This only serves as a plot point to establish unresolved sexual tension, because its funny, and because this isn't a hentai game.... yet?

This was kinda my point originally, What idiot World leader or Government official allowed this bill to pass with such obvious issues

Example.

Poor Mia was walking someplace and her and Darling get jumped. Poor Darling get's knocked out in a second. Now these guys want to skin Mia, yes they are violating the law, but she's just expected to sit there and take it? Or worse, a monster, like the pervert orcs, decides to have his way with an innocent girl, she's not allowed to fight back?

I get that this is a fictional universe, but is the government there so totally inept they allowed such obvious dangerous situations to go uncheck. In this episode real human lives were in danger and people are just expected to sit there and watch?

What if MON squad didn't exits, the orcs just get away with murdering and kidnapping?

I believe the point of the bill is to keep humans from attacking monsters based on look, we see this just a bit with Racnera. People can grow to adjust, we see this in our own world with different races. Today people who discriminate on appearance, skin color or sexual orientation, are usually shunned by most of polite society.

The problem with the Inter-species Exchange Bill is that we've yet to get a totally solid, clean cut, definition of all the laws and clauses.

Is a Monster allowed to harm a human in self defense? We don't know but so far it seems to be that they can't. The issue is that the bill is so vague and it makes zero sense for any government to ever pass a bill with so many clear holes that a college student can point them out in about an hour.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote
The entire point of the loopholes was to justify having a SWAT team comprised of cute(?) monster girls.

The logic that the orcs could open fire on someone without provocation, execute someone who was (apparently) no longer a threat, and grope hostages just because the police aren't allowed to use force against them was total fridge logic to begin with.

Random trivia, the first rifle Manako was using weighs 31 pounds and fires a bullet roughly the size of your pinkie. And being a bolt-action rifle, you wouldn't be able to dual-wield two of them for obvious reasons. And no rifle is actually accurate enough to only hit a gun at that range... no matter how good your eyesight is.
myskaros

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:35 am Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
The entire point of the series was to justify having a world comprised of cute(?) monster girls.

Fixed that for you ;P
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:14 am Reply with quote
@Snakebit1995
You are over thinking the whole thing. All these "loopholes" in the law are simply to make amusing plot points. While a country's chief executive has to carefully consider all ramifications of a proposed law, manga artists are free to be inconsistent. Very Happy

I find amusing the mental image of Mia "walking" down a sidewalk. Every see a snake move? They do it by putting out coils on either side of the center line. At her size she probably takes up the entire sidewalk and could probably use more room. If she "ran" down a crowded Japanese sidewalk there would be people flying in every direction.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8