• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Monster Musume

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GlassesMan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Another question, which I doubt will be explore is where heck are these girls coming from? They mention "countries" at one point "world", but they never get into it. Then again, Manga hasn't really explored that either.

That's true. I assume that they're all aliens, since its doubtful that a secret society of monstergirls has been in hiding for years. But its fiction, so maybe the latter is true.
Banken

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:44 am Reply with quote
They're not aliens. The show specifically states that the world's governments actively covered their existence up.
doubleO7

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:55 am Reply with quote
So many Metal Gear jokes. Some of them were obvious, but I think a lot of people missed the subtle ones.

Something else I don't think a lot of people noticed was that the bicycle police officer from the episode where Miia and Papi saved the little girl from the tree reappeared. He was the guy Papi was messing with through the cafe window, and was also the one who first noticed Miia and Centorea in the ice cream truck and called his friends over. I don't think he showed up again, but I could've missed him.

Quote:
These scenes don't initially seem like they should be less tasteful than what we've already seen, but something about adding a crowd of rowdy onlookers threw up a red flag for me.

I have to agree with this. What happened to the girls in each of those scenes isn't really any worse than anything that's happened to them before, but the simple fact that it happened in public surrounded by a crowd of perverts really didn't sit well with me.
dizzon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
On the other hand, if this storyline is just an excuse to send him on a bunch of dates, then a less elaborate setup would've done the trick.

Given how shamelessly obvious this series is I would imagine that's exactly all this storyline is trying to accomplish. I'm expecting many more dates for the purpose of letting the viewer have a date with his/her favorite monster girl. As far as the "Death Threat" angle? Probably an excuse for him to take Mon Squad members on a date as well.

They all love him so very much, because, I guess, he's the only male human in existence that has or ever will show kindness to these poor monster girls. Lol.
Banken

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:03 am Reply with quote
This episode was funny as hell but I hard to turn my speakers down, because reasons.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 10:43 pm Reply with quote
This was one of the funniest episodes yet. And did anyone else notice that Miss Smith's face was on the can of coffee that the Dragonewt offered Mia?
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 4:08 am Reply with quote
BTW, did anyone else think it was weird that Centorea's pregnancy fantasy showed the baby bump in the front? I mean.... what's up with that anatomy?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 8:43 am Reply with quote
@Banken

If you look at it, Centorea, or any centaur, is composed of a human body minus the legs superimposed on a horse body minus the head. She therefore has two complete sets of everything except the horse's legs and the human head. This obviously involves two sets of reproductive organs. I expect the baby location depends on just where you "approach" her.

I'm still trying to figure how she gets enough oxygen and food into her to support the horse body.

Thinking about the anatomy of any of these monster girls will likely result in a headache.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 9:28 am Reply with quote
That doesn't make any sense at all...biologically speaking. And what makes you come to this conclusion?
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:00 pm Reply with quote
Banken wrote:
Quote:
That doesn't make any sense at all...biologically speaking.

That is pretty much my point. Actually non of the girls makes sense biologically speaking. They mostly all date from mythology that predates our understanding of biology. If you start questioning the series vs. real life you will find that they are all impossible for one reason or another. It is the same for most fantasy, including magic or even super powers. If you are going to question the specifics you might as well look at something else.
Banken

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Well, no, they don't... Papi wouldn't be able to fly without tail feathers and gigantic breast muscles, for one. But having two reproductive systems sort of crosses a line in my mind.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:32 pm Reply with quote
She doesn't have to have two reproductive systems. However that would explain why the baby bump is showing on the human body. Certainly the male centaurs would not use that system though. If you are going to do away with duplicate systems, you have a real job plumbing the digestive and respiratory systems.

As far as that goes, what do you get in a cross between a centaur and a human? Also the idea of a species that is female only and has to breed with another species is simply nonsense. Also there is probably a reason there are no land animals with exoskeletons of human size, so you can probably rule out Arachnae as well.

Like I said, thinking about this too hard is just going to cause a headache. The answer to all of this is simply magic.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:01 am Reply with quote
How is this "D" the Writer mentioned. Well, ANN spoiled themselves with some News how will join the cast, last weeks? There is only 1 left
Riptor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@Banken

If you look at it, Centorea, or any centaur, is composed of a human body minus the legs superimposed on a horse body minus the head. She therefore has two complete sets of everything except the horse's legs and the human head. This obviously involves two sets of reproductive organs. I expect the baby location depends on just where you "approach" her.

I'm still trying to figure how she gets enough oxygen and food into her to support the horse body.

Thinking about the anatomy of any of these monster girls will likely result in a headache.

Well they've shown the front of her human half naked in the manga and there's nothing there( in fact the only reason she covers that area up is because it looks embarrassing. Centaurs only have the sexual organs of a horse. That said you can't really tell if a horse is pregnant if you don't show it's whole body so I'm guessing the bump was just so readers would pick up on it and not have it take up a whole panel.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I think the reviewer isn't aware of the fact that there is no overarching storyline in this series, most chapters are just self contained pieces of comedy and fanservice, no major villain or epic quest that they're following.

The difference is that the manga is released monthly, and you can read through a chapter in about 5 minutes, as opposed to weekly released episodes. Fans of the manga gobble up each release because they are both short and widely spaced out.

Further more each episode contains 2 chapters worth of material so in 1 week you're seeing 2 months of the original. that's why some things seem repetitive whereas if you were reading the manga a similar theme may not pop up for half a year as opposed to 2 weeks from now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8