• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Overlord

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Hyperdrve wrote:
TarsTarkas wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
So you can't even bring up valid criticism?
I really don't care what you watch or do not watch, assuming people do is rather arrogant.

Hyperdrve is not going to quit watching. He has too much invested in the show to do that.

No. I'm serious about dropping this show even if it's wasteful. If I were to apologize it would be just to the person writing the reviews because the thread got derailed for the moment. In my initial post I just wanted to report my status with the show.

I think I should also point out that I'm not looking to continue this conversation.

But I was enjoying myself!
Could you not continue for our entertainment?
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:08 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
But I was enjoying myself!
Could you not continue for our entertainment?

Eh? Laughing No. I'm ready to take off the "kick me" sign from my back.
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I liked this episode quite a lot. As stated in the review, I like the methodical nature with which Momonga does everything, and his concern regarding his diminished humanity is very interesting to me. Also, I was not expecting the violence to be quite so brutal. The scene of the skeleton knight repeatedly stabbing the knight while he begged for mercy was really graphic; not that I didn't like it, I did, I just wasn't expecting it.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:08 pm Reply with quote
finally some action..

too bad the overlord games they have on the ps3 are not the same. :/

would like to play some overlord RPG or hack and slash games about now Twisted Evil
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:12 pm Reply with quote
Sahmbahdeh wrote:
Also, I was not expecting the violence to be quite so brutal. The scene of the skeleton knight repeatedly stabbing the knight while he begged for mercy was really graphic; not that I didn't like it, I did, I just wasn't expecting it.

A lot of folks here who mentioned they've read the Overlord manga said the graphic violence is rather intense and gruesome. Despite it was a tad disturbing (just a tad) in this episode, it's the kind of violence I've come to expect from high fantasy and fantasy settings in general.

Last edited by belvadeer on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
PetitePuff

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:17 pm Reply with quote
this episode was very interesting, definitely sticking with this show Very Happy
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Did the entirety of the gameplay in Yggdrasil take place in the guild's castle? I'm starting to wonder about what it was like as a game. Momonga's minions all seem to have been floor bosses, created by the guilders, so who came to challenge them and where did they come from? What did the players do in the game, besides create a guild hall and floor bosses?

Maybe I've already forgotten, but it just strikes me as odd that Momonga doesn't know what once lay outside the castle walls, and/or hasn't commented on its being different from what it was - if it is. When he sent the butler character out to scout around, he didn't act like Momonga should already know.

I guess what I'm getting at is that the people outside were aware of "adventurers" which suggests the villages were either once part of the game (like Momonga's minions), or once part of another game. I'm just getting the weird feeling that Gazef is a player character like Momonga and is acting his role.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:44 pm Reply with quote
PetitePuff wrote:
this episode was very interesting, definitely sticking with this show Very Happy

after two episodes still a bit unsure about this series

but episode 3 made it certain for me

the fight between the death knight and the heretics was pretty good

if you look pass their outer appearance.. both are are pretty much demons anyway

looking forward to episode 4 Twisted Evil
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:01 am Reply with quote
@Gina Szanboti:

Of course there was more to the game than just the castle. As we have been told several times, that was built by the guild to house their treasures, and the floor bosses were created to protect said treasures from other players. (Apparently players could raid each other's bases, a gameplay mechanic which I find to be really cool.) Momonga's guild seemed to be one of the - if not the - strongest ever, as they managed to create that staff which is supposedly the most powerful item in the game.

The butler and all the other characters were and still are almost certainly NPCs since MC knew them from before. The only difference is that now they are sapient, i.e. capable of independent and intelligent thought (although their personalities are still based on their programming).

You are quite correct that it is most odd how Momonga has not once mentioned the lands outside the castle. In fact, it is a rather glaring plot hole, though not necessarily a large one.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:10 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Did the entirety of the gameplay in Yggdrasil take place in the guild's castle? I'm starting to wonder about what it was like as a game. Momonga's minions all seem to have been floor bosses, created by the guilders, so who came to challenge them and where did they come from? What did the players do in the game, besides create a guild hall and floor bosses?

Episode 3 shows a flashback which clearly wasn't happening in the tomb. I got the impression from what was said in episode 1 that the breadth of player freedom in the game allowed high-level guilds to effectively make their own dungeons, which is what Momonga's did, probably after years of effort. This used to be a staple element of tabletop RPGs, too.

Quote:
Maybe I've already forgotten, but it just strikes me as odd that Momonga doesn't know what once lay outside the castle walls, and/or hasn't commented on its being different from what it was - if it is. When he sent the butler character out to scout around, he didn't act like Momonga should already know.

Momonga already knows that weird stuff is going down, so it's only natural that he'd want to know if what was outside the tomb had gone weird, too. Your last point is an interesting one, and goes with points made about episode 2 about how the NPCs seemed to be aware that the other "supreme beings" had left them. I see two possibilities:

1) He was not surprised by the request because he was aware that something had happened.
2) He's made it clear that it's his place to serve, so questioning even an odd request from Momonga would be unthinkable.

Quote:
I guess what I'm getting at is that the people outside were aware of "adventurers" which suggests the villages were either once part of the game (like Momonga's minions), or once part of another game. I'm just getting the weird feeling that Gazef is a player character like Momonga and is acting his role.

Actually, the concept of adventurers isn't exclusive to games. Indiana Jones would have been considered an adventurer, for instance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Merida

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:40 am Reply with quote
Ep.3 has been my favourite so far. I loved getting to know more about the world and seeing how NPCs which are not his faithful minions react to Momonga. The interplay of his inner monologue and his overlord persona is still the most interesting part for me. Made me wonder if he's going to become gradually less human and more "monstrous" as the series progresses.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
I haven't seen Ep 3 yet, but about the Guildhall/Fortress...

Back in the days of MUDs (the predecessors to today's MMOs), many MUDs allowed you to create your own guildhall, which could be attacked by other guilds. Your guild coded the MOBs and other functions of your base (within certain limitations and rules) -- that's right, the players coded it themselves, using gamecode, not source code.

So my thought in Ep 1 when Momonga was walking through his guild and talking about having to remember the functions and how certain things were coded went back to those old MUDs, and also how he probably either hadn't played in a while, or hadn't changed anything's coding in a while.
Jacquipuff

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:

He did comment on it being different. When Sebas came back from scouting, he reported that there were grasslands, while Nazarick had previously been surrounded by swamps, and Momonga states "It seems that Nazarick has been transported to an unknown land for some reason."

Combined with other factors, such as the currency used in Yggdrasil not being usable here, it would seem that, rather than simply having been transported into the game/a world similar to the game (like in Log Horizon), Momonga, his NPCs, and the Tomb of Nazarick have been transported to a completely different world. Or it could be part of the Yggdrasil world, just farther away from whatever continent(s) the game took place on...either way, the question of why/how the entire guild building was suddenly transported remains, and I'm looking forward to finding out the answer (although I'm enjoying the show enough that I don't think I'd mind terribly if they never got to it).
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Maybe I've already forgotten, but it just strikes me as odd that Momonga doesn't know what once lay outside the castle walls, and/or hasn't commented on its being different from what it was - if it is.
He decided a while ago that the world he's in isn't Yggdrasil, didn't he? That's why he had to fake being a hermit and asked for a map. He makes a few notes in ep 3 as well regarding what the people are or aren't familiar with, like his appearance and whether magic exists.
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Back in the days of MUDs (the predecessors to today's MMOs), many MUDs allowed you to create your own guildhall, which could be attacked by other guilds. Your guild coded the MOBs and other functions of your base (within certain limitations and rules) -- that's right, the players coded it themselves, using gamecode, not source code.
I had the same thought initially, but a better comparison might be EVE Online given the scope of the game.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Ok, all these comments have been very helpful, seeing as I have the memory of a goldfish. Thanks! Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 5 of 16