• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Gangsta.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Ep. 4: I like how instead of info dumping how the twilights originated, Gangsta. instead made it part of the learning materials Worick had to learn. A nice way to present information without telling your audience directly.

The episode overall was really well done except for the one big hole in its back, production quality. But I've been so engaged these past episodes that they aren't bothering me as much as I thought they would. The flashbacks were placed well and it builds suspense for next week's episode. I would've thought the "kid" was A/1 or A/2, but him being on the same level as Nicolas makes it a lot more intriguing as to how the fight will end up next week.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:37 am Reply with quote
Quote:
This show should match the opening, which recalls both Michiko and Hatchin and Black Lagoon

...but Gangsta isn't Black Lagoon. It never was Black Lagoon. It never will be Black Lagoon. Nor is it Michiko & Hatchin. (Nor Baccano since I've heard that one too). I mean, differing opinions and all that. If people aren't really sold on this show that's fine. It just perplexes me how much people really seem to want this to be something it isn't. It's not supposed to be a bombastic action spectacle. It's a deliberately paced, mood piece/character drama. I guess if people don't want that, fair enough. But honestly, at this point "Gangsta should be more like Black Lagoon" is pretty much the new "This isn't enough like Cowboy Bebop" re: Space Dandy. It's just this weird, arbitrary assumption that's somehow cropped up among fans about what this show ought to be but really isn't.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:41 am Reply with quote
While the animation definitely gets derpy in long shots, I think elsewhere it's overall pretty decent.

Also Michiko & Hatchin's animation was considered bad? I thought it looked pretty great (at least during the first half of the show, the quality did dip near the end of the show, but even then I wouldn't have called it bad).
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:42 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
...but Gangsta isn't Black Lagoon. It never was Black Lagoon. It never will be Black Lagoon. Nor is it Michiko & Hatchin. (Nor Baccano since I've heard that one too). I mean, differing opinions and all that. If people aren't really sold on this show that's fine. It just perplexes me how much people really seem to want this to be something it isn't. It's not supposed to be a bombastic action spectacle. It's a deliberately paced, mood piece/character drama. I guess if people don't want that, fair enough. But honestly, at this point "Gangsta should be more like Black Lagoon" is pretty much the new "This isn't enough like Cowboy Bebop" re: Space Dandy. It's just this weird, arbitrary assumption that's somehow cropped up among fans about what this show ought to be but really isn't.

Exactly. I didn't understand why people started likening Gangsta to Black Lagoon in the first place (if we must play that game Gangsta is a lot more like Gungrave, really), and I can't understand at all why can't they just let it go once they realized that no, it's not like Black Lagoon (or any other show they expected it to be), and why must they allow those expectations cloud their judgement of the show.

Not to mention, Gangsta is an adaptation, it looks like the manga it's based on, which is not inspired by any of the anime whose titles people keep throwing around.
IchiharaYuuko

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Exactly. I didn't understand why people started likening Gangsta to Black Lagoon in the first place (if we must play that game Gangsta is a lot more like Gungrave, really), and I can't understand at all why can't they just let it go once they realized that no, it's not like Black Lagoon (or any other show they expected it to be), and why must they allow those expectations cloud their judgement of the show.

Not to mention, Gangsta is an adaptation, it looks like the manga it's based on, which is not inspired by any of the anime whose titles people keep throwing around.

Amen. Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.
BluExocet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
IchiharaYuuko wrote:
SHD wrote:
ikillchicken wrote:

Amen. Glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Yes! Thank you! If you want more Black Lagoon, just read/watch Black Lagoon. Or Jormungand. Jormungand is good, too.

Production quality aside (it was painful to look it, I really hope they clean it up for the physical release), incorporating the flashback sequences that occur in volume three this early on was a good choice. Keeps the viewer invested in these characters. We have a whole lot more characters that still need to be introduced.

And Alex's hallucinations, hoo boy. I have a feeling people are gonna go nuts over this when more is revealed about it.

My biggest complaint that I have so far against the series is the removal of Nic's "antics" that occur in the manga. They're keeping all of Worick's stupid stuff in, but Nic does just as much stupid stuff and it's virtually gone. spoiler[Such as holding the wanted posters up with his face instead of his hands, and Chad smacking him for keeping them.]
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
I didn't understand why people started likening Gangsta to Black Lagoon in the first place...

Frankly I think a lot of it has to do with the style of the OP, which looks like it was designed by the same person who did BL. One you see the OP, BL is kind of fixed in your mind, every week, and then G has to prove all over again that it's false advertising. Smile
SHD

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 5:51 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
SHD wrote:
I didn't understand why people started likening Gangsta to Black Lagoon in the first place...

Frankly I think a lot of it has to do with the style of the OP, which looks like it was designed by the same person who did BL. One you see the OP, BL is kind of fixed in your mind, every week, and then G has to prove all over again that it's false advertising. Smile

I don't know, I still think people are taking it too far. Yes, the OP looks similar, but then you get to the actual show which is not like Black Lagoon at all, that really should clue people in. (Then again, I was never a huge fan of Black Lagoon so maybe that's why I don't get it.)

Also, I see what you mean but just to nitpick, "false advertising" may not be the best word choice here... I mean it's not like Gangsta is trying to pass itself off as Black Lagoon #2, it's just a subset of viewers who who want it to be Black Lagoon #2 for some reason, instead of enjoying it for what it is.
DJShay12

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:23 am Reply with quote
I don't see anything wrong at all with the animation. It looks good to me. Especially Nic's fight sequences.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:54 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Also, I see what you mean but just to nitpick, "false advertising" may not be the best word choice here... I mean it's not like Gangsta is trying to pass itself off as Black Lagoon...

When you choose an OP (which is an advert for the series) that is stylistically extremely similar to another popular and instantly recognizable OP, I don't know what else to call it when the content is so different. It's like biting into something that looks like an orange but tastes like a strawberry. Strawberries are delicious, but if you're expecting to taste orange, you're probably going to go eww. Smile
SHD

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
SHD wrote:
Also, I see what you mean but just to nitpick, "false advertising" may not be the best word choice here... I mean it's not like Gangsta is trying to pass itself off as Black Lagoon...

When you choose an OP (which is an advert for the series) that is stylistically extremely similar to another popular and instantly recognizable OP, I don't know what else to call it when the content is so different. It's like biting into something that looks like an orange but tastes like a strawberry. Strawberries are delicious, but if you're expecting to taste orange, you're probably going to go eww. Smile

Er, openings aren't adverts for the series - trailers are. None of the trailers for Gangsta were trying to sell the show as another Black Lagoon.

For that matter, I don't think the OP is that much similar Black Lagoon's opening either. Sure, there are similarities but it's not something I'd call "extremely similar". (Clearly we'll disagree on this part, but I'm sure I'm not alone with this.)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:42 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Er, openings aren't adverts for the series - trailers are.

There's a reason they spend almost as much on the OP as a whole episode, and that reason is to sell the series. A trailer tells you what the story is, when it will air, etc., but the OP is the signature and branding of the series distilled into a crucial 90 seconds to make you keep watching, and no matter how much they cut corners on episodes, they make sure the OP looks as good or better than anything in the series. That's an advertisement.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The maids gossip about his “cheap prostitute” mistress, so you know he's a shady dude. After all, only the worst people would be involved with prostitutes in this universe.

The above just doesn't sound right to me. Maids gossiping about a cheap prostitute mistress is often just short hand for the rich person loving someone of a lower status than his wife. And isn't Worick a prostitute? Prostitution in this show just seems a way of life with little to no moral judgments attached.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
DJShay12 wrote:
I don't see anything wrong at all with the animation. It looks good to me. Especially Nic's fight sequences.

you don't see a lot of seinen series being animated...

gangsta is a 12 episode series.. not sure how it will end but it might leave fans of the series crying Confused
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5

Very enlightening episode, but I'm kind of shocked to see Gabriella praise the animation this week when it was the worst I've noticed in the series so far. I too thought about the extra time they had, but that just made me more baffled by the lapses in animation. What was the point of those long, long shots of the garbage bags while they were talking? I think that's where Worick put the body? but couldn't see in the dark, and there was nothing else to look at there but the bags and a cat. For a full 10 seconds (ok, the first shot was "only" 7 seconds, but even the cat was gone the second time). Shades of Wizard Barristers 11.

And it was especially bad during the fight scenes, when the only time anyone was on-model was in tight close-ups. Even medium shots were substandard, and longer shots looked like this. Since that was the first shot of them this episode, at first I thought, "Who is the kid fighting?" because Nic looks like some random old crone with spaghetti legs. On the other hand, I'll admit the choreography was good, so if they just clean this up for release, all is forgiven.

Also didn't think the music worked quite as well this episode, though it wasn't terrible.

But I love Gina. How could I not? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 3 of 9