• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: School-Live!

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
futuresoon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:59 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I don't think Megu-sensei is a figment of Yuki's imagination, though. In the 2nd episode, when Miki's worried about Yuki, the others say that she's not alone, she's with Megu. If Megu wasn't real, they wouldn't've said it.

I think the other girls all know that Megu is Yuki's coping device, so if "Megu" is with Yuki then Yuki will at least avoid walking into obvious danger. In the first episode, she says that Megu reminded her to stay at the school instead of going home. Her delusion has a failsafe, or something like that. So they know she isn't completely helpless. And Megu does seem to disappear whenever she's not interacting with Yuki.
Flah

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:08 am Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
I don't think Megu-sensei is a figment of Yuki's imagination, though. In the 2nd episode, when Miki's worried about Yuki, the others say that she's not alone, she's with Megu. If Megu wasn't real, they wouldn't've said it.

The signs are pointing toward Megu not being real. The other girls know what Megu is and that she keeps Yuki out of trouble. For the sake of her safety, they acknowledge and encourage that particular delusion.

Basically, when they're talking about her being with Megu, just imagine that they're using air quotes.
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:12 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Kurumi: Notice me, Senpai *Senpai becomes a zombie* On second thought, never mind.

Looks like we might get some info on how it all started next episode if I am interpreting the preview correctly

That's exactly what I thought during the 2nd episode

It ruined the suspension of those scenes for me, but in a good way. I couldn't stop laughing Laughing Very Happy
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:30 am Reply with quote
"The restriction against club members never going home"

Shouldn't that be "ever going home"?

Also, the term I'd use for Yuki's perception of the world is "fugue state", meaning more or less what the review stated, that she is aware of what's really going on but retreats into her fantasy version of reality to avoid acknowledging the fact.

There's enough levity in the manga even outside of Yuki's mental distortions to keep me reading. I wouldn't read it if it were only undiluted grimdark horror.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:50 am Reply with quote
interesting.. so the anime started at chapter 17 of the manga?

this series is definitely spoiler[similar to the walking dead games..

the zombies are walking.. which pretty much took the horror out of the series for me..]

why just sit there spoiler[and hide when the zombie is just walking (dragging its feet as well)

it they are like World War Z zombies.]
. then..
Twisted Evil
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:24 am Reply with quote
It would definitely seem that Yuki suffered a fairly severe mental breakdown when everything started. It hasn't been shown yet that she recognizes that there are zombies walking about. She isn't shown to have any moment of "I can't take this anymore" sort of snap back to reality that would normally be expected with any real appreciation of what reality is, though they may have just not shown one of those facts yet. I would say that the fact they are seemingly trying so hard to hide the sight of any actual zombies or dead bodies suggests that her appreciation for what is happening is either very limited, or very fragile. The level of detail to her delusions in episode 1 suggests an all-encompassing delusion.

The possibility of Megu also being a figment of her imagination is also relatively high, just by the fact that there are certain things the other characters seem to do that she doesn't. spoiler[If I'm not mistaken, she hasn't been shown actually eating anything thus far.] I also fear the rumor that some have suggested online elsewhere, spoiler[that actually everyone is already dead and the other girls are all just a complex part of her delusion]. I doubt that only because it would be hard to accomplish from a storytelling perspective, explaining even all the events so far in these first two episodes. Either way, Yuki's detachment from reality may be, arguably, keeping her sane, but it is very, very dangerous going forward.

Definitely one of my prohibitive favorites of the season. I'm just steeling myself for what I've heard will be a very, very, spoiler[dark future ahead, and a depressing ending].
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:18 am Reply with quote
I think I'll give this a try. The director's pedigree is interesting: White Album 2 seems to be making the rounds as an overlooked gem (I think Nick mentioned it in relation to SNAFU at one point?), and Muv-Luv Alternative: Total Eclipse had a couple of very strong arcs (which tend to get forgotten once the show returns to its harem hijinks).
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:25 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

The anime adaptation is mix and matching parts.

The actual Manga jumps around in on itself with spoiler[quick flash backs to key events] One of the key differences is of course is spoiler[Miki and Taromaru already being tossed in during the introduction set of episodes to speed things up.]
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:21 pm Reply with quote
"Cute girls doing cute things...and zombies!" sounds like some desperate marketing ploy at first, but it works surprisingly well. Smile

I've always found horror of the subtle, psychological kind a lot more frightening than the blood & gore variety and this show has done a pretty good job so far. The contrast between Yuki's delusion and reality is far more engaging to me than just fighting hordes of zombies would be.

I'm trying hard to avoid spoilers and really looking forward to how this will develop.
NormanS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I like the Night of the living dead/walking dead kind of zombies as it makes the genre more like man vs self vs environment, while i understand that more aggressive zombies or even crazy zombies types are exciting to watch, i prefer the struggles living in a harsh environment, the distrust of others, the helplessness and trauma's that are present in the walking dead series which is present in School live.

Having read the manga, i really enjoy the adaptation so far. And hopefully the direction of the series will be better than HoTD
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:08 pm Reply with quote
I hadn't really thought about it, but Megu does seem to be imaginary. In episode 2, after they go far outside the desk barrier, she just appears out of nowhere; Yuki is the first to notice her, and the others greet her sort of awkwardly. One of them interrupts Megu, saying the same thing she was about to say. Then they inexplicably leave her behind, but she pops up later to guide Yuki away from the zombie in the library... and once again, the others don't seem to notice her until Yuki talks to her. All of that weirdness makes much more sense if she isn't real. Also, spoiler[a commenter on Crunchyroll said you can see her ribbon on the cross in the first episode...]

Usually I can't stand zombies, but this seems like a somewhat unusual twist on the theme.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:42 pm Reply with quote
FenixFiesta wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

The actual Manga jumps around in on itself with spoiler[quick flash backs to key events] One of the key differences is of course is spoiler[Miki and Taromaru already being tossed in during the introduction set of episodes to speed things up.]

true.

if you didn't read the manga.. you don't know who's who yet..

the anime is only 12 episodes...

i'm not sure how it will ending..
Dfens

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:43 am Reply with quote
So far it's been pretty good but, as someone who read the manga for some reason actually hearing Yuki and watching vs reading takes so much longer that it has made it a little difficult to sit through some parts.

I constantly want to yell at the screen for them to either give Yuki some tough love or put her out of her misery. She is going to eventually get someone or all of them killed if they keep pampering her.

At least for now the whole mental break down plot is working, and gives the show that little bit of spice that sets it apart from other survival shows. It would get boring real fast if this show turned into your typical zombie survival wet dream where they are on their A game and every thing goes perfect.
Hyperdrve

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Dfens wrote:
I constantly want to yell at the screen for them to either give Yuki some tough love or put her out of her misery. She is going to eventually get someone or all of them killed if they keep pampering her.

I don't think the intended purpose is to view this anime like a horror flick. From what I understand the focus point of this anime is "cute girls doing cute things" while in a zombie apocalypse. The zombies don't even seem that intimidating. If it weren't for Yuki we wouldn't have gotten that unique introduction to this zombie apocalypse, nor have cared as much about the unique account/narrative that's unfolding. If indeed something really tragic is going to happen then that gives us more reason to view this anime as intended.

spoiler[Although in this episode we see more of Kurumi's "shovel-kun", I think it would've been more interesting/graphic for Kurumi to have tossed her senpai from the roof.]
maoyen

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:56 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
FenixFiesta wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:

true.

if you didn't read the manga.. you don't know who's who yet..

the anime is only 12 episodes...

i'm not sure how it will ending..

spoiler[They can just end it at the "Graduation", and pick it up again later.] That's the perfect stopping point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 13