• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: GATE

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Barbobot

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:49 am Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Quick notes on the review: the Gate opened in Ginza not Shibuya, and the ancient flame dragon was not sent by the Emperor as part of the scorched earth tactics. The sage says as much in the third episode, when he says the dragon woke 50 years too early, implying it's more a force of nature with a hibernation cycle than anything that man can command.

Or that something other than a force of nature caused it to wake up. The Emperor doesn't need to have direct control over it to unleash it's wrath on an area. The fact that the dragon torching a village comes almost right after the Emperor speaks of scorched earth tactics implies that the Emperor had some hand in it.
Seska1973

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Quick notes on the review: the Gate opened in Ginza not Shibuya, and the ancient flame dragon was not sent by the Emperor as part of the scorched earth tactics. The sage says as much in the third episode, when he says the dragon woke 50 years too early, implying it's more a force of nature with a hibernation cycle than anything that man can command.

Or that something other than a force of nature caused it to wake up. The Emperor doesn't need to have direct control over it to unleash it's wrath on an area. The fact that the dragon torching a village comes almost right after the Emperor speaks of scorched earth tactics implies that the Emperor had some hand in it.

that, and i found it also strange, that right after the Gate appeared in Ginza, they marched through. As if they can control the GATE, or they use it to conquer and plunder other Dimension Worlds. This Gate is strange, and the ones that control it
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Seska1973 wrote:
that, and i found it also strange, that right after the Gate appeared in Ginza, they marched through. As if they can controlled the GATE, or they used this one to conquer and plunder other Dimension Worlds. This Gate is perhaps an Dimensional Gate

I see GATE's Gate similar to Stargate's Stargate, but with a longer (maybe infinite?) operating time.

As for the dragon, I view it like it was a bear; one can't control where and how a bear will attack, but it is possible to awake one from its hibernation, and it will be pissed.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Barbobot wrote:

NOTE: Spoiler tags below concern content from the source material which may go well beyond what the anime has shown so far.

[EDIT: Above note added. - Key]

The whole scorched earth tactics thing spoiler[is a red herring never mentioned ever again in the manga after that throwaway line by the Emperor, and I assume in the full and light novels as well.] The whole point of that line was to contrast the major difference in mindsets with regards to supply situations between that of an ancient or medieval era army such as in the Empire and a modern one with the JSDF. The Emperor was expecting an enemy force marching on the Imperial capital to be living off of the land, the army foraging for food like they did during ancient and medieval times, so burning villages and fields and poisoning wells would make it harder for an enemy army to march forward to attack them.

He has no idea the JSDF have modern logistics and supply lines from Ginza using trucks to carry water, fresh food, rations and the like to move materiel forward to their troops, and don't need to live off of the land to make an attack. If anything, that line was more a sly reminder to the audience how primitive his thinking is compared to that of modern times, spoiler[not to imply anything about villages being burned down because of that order].

Also, the sage that spoke about the dragon's hibernation habits while preparing to evacuate Koda Village is actually spoiler[one of the more renowned teachers of magic in that area of the Empire, so much so that Imperial soldiers from the capital and residents and guards at a nearby major settlement are able to recognize Leilei as his apprentice based off her style of staff and clothing at a glance]. If anyone in the immediate area would know about the hibernation habits of an ancient flame dragon like that and what would cause it to awake early, it would be him. He didn't said why he thinks it awoke early though.

Seska1973 wrote:
that, and i found it also strange, that right after the Gate appeared in Ginza, they marched through. As if they can control the GATE, or they use it to conquer and plunder other Dimension Worlds. This Gate is strange, and the ones that control it

Well, the Imperial commander remarked during the first episode (EDIT: I might be wrong about the following information because I' misremembering the events of the episode. If so, I apologize and I'll throw it behind some spoiler tags) spoiler[that he had sent scouts through the Gate before they attacked, so I'm assuming that the massive Gate in Ginza wasn't the first trans-dimensional crossing made by that army. The Gate is not actually the work of the Empire, as it was made by Hardy, the Goddess of the Underworld, and a rival god to Emroy, the God of Death that Rory serves as an apostle to. The Empire just stumbled across the Gate on Alnus Hill, and then formed up their armies to send through, looking for plunder and lands to claim on the other side after scouting it out.

We have no idea yet why the massive edifice that is the Gate didn't open sooner in Ginza though, and why it sprang open right as the Empire launched their attack, or at least if there is a reason, it's in the untranslated full or light novels, and not in the manga chapters that have been released yet]

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:26 pm; edited 4 times in total
TUSF

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:15 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA, those are quite a bit of spoilers, some of which you didn't mark in a spoiler tag.

The commander never mentioned the scouts in the episode.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:36 pm Reply with quote
And others of those spoilers are (rather significant) spoilers from other sources, and not labelled as such, especially the last one, which is from the distant future in terms of the storyline.
hinugundam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty interested in this anime. It's unusual to have a protagonist close to my age. (He is only a couple years older than me.)
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
TUSF wrote:
GhostStalkerSA, those are quite a bit of spoilers, some of which you didn't mark in a spoiler tag.

The commander never mentioned the scouts in the episode.

Yttrbio wrote:
And others of those spoilers are (rather significant) spoilers from other sources, and not labelled as such, especially the last one, which is from the distant future in terms of the storyline.

Really? I must be misremembering the episode then. I apologize, I'll edit those out right now. Sorry, I guess I'm just a little more blaze and nonchalant about spoilers because of the spoiler policies on other sites I frequent more than this one.

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:08 am; edited 1 time in total
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:13 pm Reply with quote
Jackanapes wrote:
Lol I was like this review is too on point and logical to be by anyone other than Theron and sure enough it was. It feels like he's the only one that just sticks to the basics and what people would want to know about a show and gives the ups and downs without resorting to click bait pot stirring or soapboxing and god knows there's a tremendous opportunity to do that with this one. I mean the jingoism got its mention as it should but hardly hijacked the article like Id expect it would for theother ones.

I knew it was Theron's beforehand, but I totally agree. I thought this review was great. It took 3 episodes, covered the important points, and mentioned the potential flaws without hijacking the review by harping on a single point for the majority of it. I was rather annoyed with some of the other reviews that started the season which somehow managed to cover multiple episodes yet be primarily rambling on about a single issue. But anyway, I thought it was an excellent review, and I'll definitely be reading the ones to come.
Caramichael

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:51 pm Reply with quote
I still don't know if I'll follow this serie following episode 3, like many said, there a some scene that were censored, and i would say more that they were removed entirely, that and the no blood in the entire serie make me feel worried about the direction the show will take.
Maybe people are right when saying it is following the LN, but if that's the case (and I still doubt it since the framing and scenes are almost exactly similar to the manga), that's another reason for me to drop since what made Gate interesting for me where the subjects removed from this version.

I'll go to the scenes and subject omitted in this episode:
spoiler[Rori's scene omitted a part with a bandit that begged for his life saying he didn't do anything his comrades said. Rori then brought him to their corpse for him to satisfy himself before dying. When he refused, she then made him dig their grave before finishing him.]
Many remarked that she slaughtered the bandits but not the JSDF and it was not logical, the reason was that on the contrary of the bandits, the JSDF fought to protect people against the dragon and decided to take care of the orphans and disabled. Her curiosity from the differing act from an armed force is what made her stick with them.

The other more minor censored scene was the dragon's attack, in the manga, spoiler[about 1/3rd of the refugees are killed, and that leads to an investigation by the Diet about the actions of the JSDF and if they were acting according to the laws of war.] Not seeing the slaughter risks making the audience wonder why there is such a big deal about the whole affair.

The great problem with omitted scenes like that is that the story quickly centers around those issues of civilization chock between the world. Two particular issues are central later:
spoiler[The kidnapping and sex slavery of a Japanese citizen by the Empire crown prince, which leads to a punitive bombarding of the Imperial Capital.] and spoiler[The sexual slavery of the queen of bunny-men which leads her to becoming the main antagonist trying to sabotage the peace effort between the two forces.]

The fact that these scenes were not put into the anime make us fear that these issues will altogether be scrapped and that the anime will go original.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Carmichael wrote:
I'll go to the scenes and subject omitted in this episode:
spoiler[Rori's scene omitted a part with a bandit that begged for his life saying he didn't do anything his comrades said. Rori then brought him to their corpse for him to satisfy himself before dying. When he refused, she then made him dig their grave before finishing him.]

Including this would have dragged out that scene far longer than it needed to be.

And this brings up a common problem I see when people complain about what was cut from adaptations of source material, whether anime or live-action: an unwillingness to admit that some things done in written or comic form just don't time well when translated into animated or live-action form. For a movie or TV episode, timing and flow matter a lot more, and so elements that are not crucial to the overall story which could bog down the story can and should be cut. That is the case with this scene.

Quote:
Many remarked that she slaughtered the bandits but not the JSDF and it was not logical, the reason was that on the contrary of the bandits, the JSDF fought to protect people against the dragon and decided to take care of the orphans and disabled. Her curiosity from the differing act from an armed force is what made her stick with them.

Um, I'm not sure where you're seeing people say that, but I thought it was quite immediately clear why she was more friendly towards the JSDF.

Quote:
The other more minor censored scene was the dragon's attack, in the manga, spoiler[about 1/3rd of the refugees are killed, and that leads to an investigation by the Diet about the actions of the JSDF and if they were acting according to the laws of war.] Not seeing the slaughter risks making the audience wonder why there is such a big deal about the whole affair.

First of all, they have yet to animate anything about the second part of what you said. And second, just because they didn't show the bodies doesn't mean that they didn't give a clear impression that there were substantial casualties. We did have a scene of the soldiers praying at the graves, after all.

As for the rest of what you said, if anything omitted so far actually directly led to that then that could be a sign of what's going to be cut out or toned down in the future.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HelloBucket

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:54 pm Reply with quote
With this talk of flow and censoring, I'm of the thought that any benefit to flow they're getting from cutting things present in any of the source material (which I'm not familiar with, personally) is being wasted by messing up the flow of every single action sequence with the camera's constant flinching.

I can't say I'm looking forward to more politics entering the series later on and this makes me worried going forward. Not due to any concerns over Japanese nationalism or insults to my own country, but simply due to the fact that the show doesn't seem to be setting itself up for anything interesting politically. All the politics so far have been black or white and boring either way.

I like the show otherwise, so I'm probably in it for the full run, and this just makes these complaints irk me all the more because I want to like the show with less reservations.
Metal Fennrir

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
Complains regarding this episode:

1. Not showing the scene where Piña (or Pinya) threatens the King that's crippled for not telling her about the enemy. Like, really? She's supposed to be a Princess, with many influence and yet when the guy tells her "I won't tell you, go there yourself", the girl just gets up and goes "Okay"? What kind of pushover is that chick? She's supposed to have a strong personality and complete trust in the Empire (at this point) on them winning the war, so why act like she's okay with an ally keeping info away from her?

2. The description of the battle with the Red Dragon in the bar was the blandest, most "nothing" thing ever. She basically went "They killed a Red Dragon with a metal cock, the men on green did". Like what the hell kind of story is that? Where are the details of "Riding weird vehicles" or her going "The rods of steel were like magic wands", and everyone in that bar seemed bored! I don't know about you, but if someone were to tell me they annihilated ISIS with a single shot, I'd listen

Those are my basic complains. And both have to do with Piña. She doesn't look curious about the JSDF, her enemy. It's like she doesn't care. And that's a huge problem, given the fact that her perpetual curiosity towards the fighting power of the JSDF plays a major role in the plot
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Episode #4:

I thought the the political buildup in this episode was both interesting to watch, and felt reasonable. Since the Special Region is basically an unknown factor in the eyes of Earth's countries, I expect that some kind of a "good-will, burden-sharing" international missions will be "proposed" to the Japanese government, which should stir the pot quite a bit.

The characterization in this episode was also nice, with Tuka Luna Marceau worrying about "tomorrow" (after JSDF's departure), or how to repay for the housing & material. The show depicts Itami Yōji as a fairy unmotivated individual with some solid moral standards (bringing in the refugees, for example), but do the other JSDF members share the same sentiment? I would guess that they do, since this show is pro-JSDF, but in the case that it isn't so true, Tuka's guess on how to repay for the hospitality might play a role later on.

Metal Fennrir wrote:
2. The description of the battle with the Red Dragon in the bar was the blandest, most "nothing" thing ever. She basically went "They killed a Red Dragon with a metal cock, the men on green did". Like what the hell kind of story is that?

Sounded pretty rad to me

AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:21 pm Reply with quote
the excitement for this series is dying down as i further in..

not including various things in the manga.. female characters look like petite middle school kids.. Rolling Eyes

guessing they are planning to wrap the whole series in 26 episodes?..

might be a drop series for me.. :/ should not read the manga before watching this series.. it was a bad mistake
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 31