• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
DeNA Confirms MyAnimeList Buyout

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pcj

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:16 am Reply with quote
synaia wrote:
pcj wrote:
Maybe this means we'll get a working official mobile client for MAL now instead of just the third-party ones that all depend on hacks or proxies.

Could just use the mobile version of MAL, they added one around January when the buy-out happened.

Assuming you mean the website... it's not usable for updating what you've watched. First thing I do every time it loads on my phone is switch back to the desktop version because it's easier to use, despite having to scroll the page all over to see everything.
Brand

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:55 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
Well, this is the end of the good days of MAL. A company buying out a fanmade site never ends well. Guess i'll have to switch over to AniList once all the changes they make end up being terrible and destroy the entire foundation of the site. Too bad, but I guess a site can't be that popular without selling out. I though the guy who created the site really cared for it, but it's sad to see he's just another sell out.

Uh, for the last several years MAL was owned by Crave Online. It is now just owned by a different company. So, this isn't something new. And unlike Crave DeNA lets them actually make improvements to the site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I am curious as to how well this will work for them since sometimes the bought site may lose some of its creativity (there might be controversial corporate decisions and the child site loses it's style).
Kigaruna

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:30 pm Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
but for fansub.. you got bad quality sub.. video compression so video quality is not the best..

it's always funny to me.. like how they are trying to stop people from watching CAM version of movies in theaters..

did you actually watch those video?.. they are CRAP!!

Are you saying that quality of the fansub is inferior to the quality of those streamed things and comparing it to camrips?

If so, you don't know shit. Of course quality varies greatly and there are people who deliberately make crappy encodes. But if you know how to filter those, you should know that the video quality is the same as on those streaming services (after BDs are out - even better, usually less size with virtually indistinguishable quality compared to vanilla BDs) and quality of the subs - usually an improvement over official ones.
Fansub encodes are no way made by doing such heresy as camripping or any other kind of screen capture. It is whatever made directly from the original material or even exact copy of it in a slightly different wrapping.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm still waiting for MAL to finally implement the (kind-of) promised option to view your list in English instead of Moonspeak. It's gotten to the point where I have to click on a bunch of my entries just to figure out what the hell the show is.
jymmy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:25 am Reply with quote
Top Gun: Yeah? I got that a lot with Ghibli movies when I first made an account, but that doesn't really happen anymore. The Tatami Galaxy rather than Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei is one that still looks more familiar to me, I guess, but I generally find it simpler to just use the original titles, which are at least partially in English often enough anyway.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
http://seventhstyle.com/2013/09/30/crunchyroll-is-it-worth-subscribing/

Tl;dr: Subscribing to crunchyroll to support the creators is basically the equivalent of giving a Blue whale a handful of krill during its peak feeding period. During this time the Blue whale can consume 40,000,000 krill per day Anime smile + sweatdrop.

What does Muhammad Ali have to do with anything?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
pcj

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
Tl;dr: Subscribing to crunchyroll to support the creators is basically the equivalent of giving a Blue whale a handful of krill during its peak feeding period. During this time the Blue whale can consume 40,000,000 krill per day Anime smile + sweatdrop.

Sure, and you get 100,000 people giving it a handful of krill each and you can give it a pretty decent snack that's enough for it to not want to turn it down.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

pcj wrote:
Maybe this means we'll get a working official mobile client for MAL now instead of just the third-party ones that all depend on hacks or proxies.
synaia wrote:
Could just use the mobile version of MAL, they added one around January when the buy-out happened.
pcj wrote:
Assuming you mean the website... it's not usable for updating what you've watched. First thing I do every time it loads on my phone is switch back to the desktop version because it's easier to use, despite having to scroll the page all over to see everything.

I just gave it another look and it's actually improved some... it's actually possible to update your episodes-watched count now (it was painful before). It'd still be better if it had a + button like the desktop version instead of having to retype the episode number, but maybe that'll come still Smile

{Combined serial posts. ~nobahn}
Nyron

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:11 am Reply with quote
Maybe they'll fix the database so that it uses the appropriate English titles and romanizations for things.

they literally use "Gokuu Son"
and whatever Now and Then, Here and There's irrelevant japanese title is
Mikeski

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
What does Muhammad Ali have to do with anything?

There used to be an anime blog there. Someone hacked it to redirect to youtube for the ad revenue, or something.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:10 pm Reply with quote
pcj wrote:
SouthPacific wrote:

Sure, and you get 100,000 people giving it a handful of krill each and you can give it a pretty decent snack that's enough for it to not want to turn it down.

A better way of putting is that signing up to CR supports the licensing industry, which is of-course a good thing if you want more simulcasts, which is pretty much any anime fan who does not understand Japanese. But I don't really think it has a noticeable effect on the Anime industry/what gets produced.

Nyron wrote:
Maybe they'll fix the database so that it uses the appropriate English titles and romanizations for things.

they literally use "Gokuu Son"
and whatever Now and Then, Here and There's irrelevant japanese title is

Plenty of people prefer the Jp title. Nothing wrong with a toggle option, but a complete switch is over the top.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:12 pm Reply with quote
SouthPacific wrote:
http://seventhstyle.com/2013/09/30/crunchyroll-is-it-worth-subscribing/

I looked up it's google cache, that link is genuinely absurd, the entire thing reads like Crunchyroll are somehow doing something evil, yet proceeds only to tell us that internet hosting and employing people is expensive, and Crunchyroll commit the immortal sin of daring to cover their own costs...

I genuinely cannot believe people are legitimately using that article to excuse their piracy. Also, and I cannot stress this enough, even if Crunchyroll pays just 1p per video, that's 1p better than nothing, and 1p more going to the creators than if you use a pirate site...

People really will believe any old crap to try and justify their immoral behaviour huh?

(I should probably point out the first paragraph was sarcastic.)
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:00 am Reply with quote
GuruBuckaroo wrote:
The fansub ratings were nice, but linking to the websites is questionable for a company that wants to "go legit", so I'm not surprised.

My biggest beef with MAL (aside from no integration with FB/mobile/whatever) is the refusal to list places to legally watch. I'm all for fansubs, and may or may not have a drive full of them myself, but I pay for Crunchyroll for a reason - to support the creators. I'm even considering the cheap sub-only Funimation membership to expand what I can stream.

I've always preferred MAL's DB format to ANN's as far as info. It's not as detailed, but the ability to track what you've seen is invaluable. I wish you could specify whether they displayed the titles in Romanji or English, though.

Best anime database and system so far is http://anidb.net
It'll give you everything, all versions of a title (Japanese, romanized, official English and all other known foreign names), proper categories unlike MAL which tends to make them up, complete staff info with Japanese and romanized names, and seiyuu cross referencing (including aliases) and short bio and character lists, season calendar, various ways to sort titles, user tags (separate from proper categories) and fansub tracking, all related links, including to MAL and official site entries like ANN, EN and JP wikipedia, official Japanese sites and TV schedules.

It also has a uniquely awesome relation graph feature. Just click on the "Relations" link in a title's page and you'll have a single visual depiction of all titles related to each other and how they're related. For example: Fate franchise (and how some titles share settings or characters with other ufotable / type-moon titles)
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:33 am Reply with quote
One of my American friends once told me that if I wanted to be fluent in English, I would have to stay far away from Myanimelist, Reddit, and 4chan.
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:33 am Reply with quote
yaki-udon wrote:
One of my American friends once told me that if I wanted to be fluent in English, I would have to stay far away from Myanimelist, Reddit, and 4chan.

Your friend was mistaken then.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4