• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Wagnaria!!3

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Great Rumbler

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad that season 3 is finally dragging these two relationships forward, albeit slowly and not very far. Season 2 was disappointing with how it reset all the progress that had been made in season 1 and then just spun its wheels for 13 episodes. Maybe we'll actually get somewhere this time around.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 10:27 pm Reply with quote
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought that the end of episode 5 hinted that Souta fully understood. Inami thought that that Souta would just be dense like usual, but he actually did reach the conclusion that the boy she liked had to be himself. He ran away with his ears red from embarrassment, it may be unlikely to return to the status quo for them, Izumi had unwittingly done something good.
AholePony

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:13 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought that the end of episode 5 hinted that Souta fully understood. Inami thought that that Souta would just be dense like usual, but he actually did reach the conclusion that the boy she liked had to be himself. He ran away with his ears red from embarrassment, it may be unlikely to return to the status quo for them, Izumi had unwittingly done something good.

I felt the same way. Takanashi is dense but he's not dumb. He gets it but doesn't understand his own feelings so he needs to regroup. For a comedy anime the relationships are going at a fairly good pace this season lol. A romance anime, this is not.
Irru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
so i just started watching the show today (Marathoned all 4 episodes out so far)

I laughed so hard and despite no prior experience with the franchise aside from 4 episodes i found myself rooting for the crew to get together and be happy.

I really like the show and can't wait to see more.

Also that heart attack moment has made a great gif.

Why would you not watch season 1 and 2?
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:08 am Reply with quote
Popular's in a really odd place in the series right now, something her own fevered dream points out to her. Because the series has gone more from gag comedy to romance/drama, her small role and stature as only gotten smaller. Front and center at the start, instigator of the plot... by being small... she's now reduced to being reduced.

I've always wondered about her place and use in the show after the premier way back then; She's short and cute but Yamada is kind of, too, but even as the series points out that Yamada isn't in Popular's level of adorable, it does a better job of pointing out how little Popular contributes to the comedy or plot. She's short and cute, that's it.

What did she try to use as her redeeming "look at me, camera!" attempt? Her job, waiting tables while everyone else got to do story stuff in the staff rooms. But even as she tried that, she's in a same shot as the "normal girl" who's only there to do the job of everyone else. Popular's really reaching the bottom of the character pile if she's reduced to that level of presence/use. And her fever dream represents her place in the story, something she shouldn't be aware of.

What, a gag comedy romantic comedy can't be symbolic and meta as well? They've really gotten ambitious in the last season as it's becoming something of a gag comedy deconstruction with every running gag picked up, examined and carefully removed. I forgot about Popular's place as a running gag herself somehow.

What's going to be left once all the gags and slapstick are removed, just a place where people come together to work? That's horrifying...
ebv2406

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:18 pm Reply with quote
So according to the reviewer Otoo-san and his wife don't exist, I know it wasn't the main plot but a little metion wouldn't hurt
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:22 pm Reply with quote
nice, now that two long term problems have been solved, Yachiyo and Jun next please.
Caramichael

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:12 pm Reply with quote
No mention of Otoo-san finally reuniting with his wife? Just like in the end episode he is totally overshadowed xD
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:19 pm Reply with quote
all's whats left is the two romantic developments
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:29 am Reply with quote
theNightster wrote:
all's whats left is the two romantic developments

Three. The series has been hinting at the third one for awhile now and episode 7 finally pushed it out into the open.

Four if Popura and Yamada ever gets started. Not Yamada, that other Yamada. I'm pretty sure he has a thing for long hair and if he keeps coming around then eventually... he'll look down?

But I never would have bet that Aoi would lose her "gag character" status and become a real character before Popura
chex mix

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:46 am Reply with quote
Otoo's wife got lost again before she could make it into the review. Sad
GhostOfShowsPast

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 5:24 am Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of the Takanashi and Inami romance can't see why he would like her and am not a fan of Inami at all she has gotten better but still can't stand her.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
motormind wrote:
I am a bit dismayed about how the makers go out of their way to forcefully tear Yachiyo away from Kyouko. I was hoping that Kyouko might eventually start realizing how she really feels for Yachiyo and start showing more signs of affection that just merely eating all those parfaits. The fact that Jun and Yachiyo have exactly zero romantic chemistry doesn't help much either. And then, of course, there's the scene in which Kozue tells Mizuki that she should stop her "unproductive feelings" for Yachiyo and finally fall in love with a man.

Man, why do anime makers hate lesbians so much?

I hate to burst your bubble, but this couple is canon in the source material. They actually became one of the first canon couples at around chapter 200 and something.

This has nothing to do with lesbian hating, but maybe it just goes to show how often the yuri goggle group was looking at something that wasn't there. Yachiyou has always been depicted as worshipping idolizing rather than romantic love, which is what I would consider actual lesbians to be. Its no different than a superhero saving a kid, and then that kid idolizing that hero for the rest of their life.

Look I hate to break it to you, but 99 percent of yuri in works especially shonen or harem is baiting, ie the author really has no intention to create a lesbian couple, but they know its a popular male demographic, and these are male demographic shows, so they throw it in. But its almost never a case where they are genuinely trying to show a lesbian couple. There was even that article a couple of years ago that commented how must yuri shows, even those that are actually yuri, are so unrealistic to almost be disingenuous.

I mean if you really want yuri, there are plenty of well written non-sexualized seninen/josei works that fit the bill. Its not hard, just google it.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 12:42 am Reply with quote
There was much squeeing at the TV last night as I was watching this episode. X33333
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
A pretty well summed-up review for Ep. 11. Count me as one of those throwing a parade.
Ep 11 review wrote:
I enjoyed the long-winded tale of Todoroki's attempts to find his house, and their conversation over dinner is delightfully awkward

But was it really that awkward? Of course it wasn't free of emotional loading and it shouldn't have been but the characters actually get to talk out a lot of things that would have grown mold otherwise.

For example you get to learn that Kyouko actually realizes she is dense and why her fixation on Kyouko is something she wants to change. Sauto never seems to say much but when he does it carries weight. In any case the highlight was when Satou and Yachiyo each formally declared their intent to do their best for the other in spite of their own shortcomings. They bow to each other across the table. That is just the sort of positive thing us non-Japanese can only envy them for.

Does anyone else's auto-correct keep trying to change Satou to Sauté?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4