• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Charlotte

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birriaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:34 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Gina Szanboti wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:
Yuu's mother died, and Ayumi has been replicating the recipe for Yuu ever since. That was stated quite clearly this episode.

Please quote the dialog where they explicitly say she's dead and not just "not around." Someone else said the parents were divorced or separated and custody was given to an essentially absent uncle. I don't remember myself, so I'm asking for something more concrete than "no longer around."

Sorry, I watched the Mandarin subs. Mandarin retains the original Japanese flavour much better than English does.

I'm guessing that the English translators took the liberty to use "no longer around" as a substitute for "died", for some reason.

There's a line where they say "ookasan wa inakunatte kara..." when they were talking about the recipe. If taken at face/grammatical value it means "mom is not around", however, in the context of the conversation and the fact that neither parent was present at the funeral - an assumption, I know, but I just never got the feeling that any of the adults there was a parent - they make it quite clear that at least the mother is dead.

Regarding Nao showing up out of nowhere... It really goes to a show's credit when something as obvious as that is just forgotten by pretty much anyone watching. I was like "God, I'm an idiot, of course she was there!!!"

And finally, Ayumi is dead. She will probably have some sort of important role yet but I don't think she'll be brought "back to life." Anyone notice in the OP that her silhouette appears wrapped in angel feathers? And that Yuu is pensive within that silhouette and when he realizes something a whole bunch of feathers start fluttering around it? He just accepted the ugly truth, after dancing around it for some time...

spoiler[Oh yeah, and Kanade was just great! Who by the way also has an angel feathers motif going on... AND is dead...[\spoiler]]
Birriaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
So, I went back to episode 1 in order to clear all doubts. Yuu clearly states that their mother divorced their father, and then shoved their custody over to their uncle, which is why Yuu resents her. So their mother is probably still alive and well. In fact, maybe the lady in black we saw at the funeral WAS their mother... which would make her a very heartless and uncaring person. Probably wasn't. Who knows. Anyway, problem solved.

Ok, had forgotten about this part. In this context it does make sense: mom is not around. She abandoned them and is out of their lives - due to to divorce in this case.
Birriaman

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Wow, a 3rd post, hehehehe. I just keep thinking new things every five minutes. After this episode the title song makes a lot of sense: "you were never alone, I was always right next to you". I always thought it was referring to Yuu, but it's actually referring to Nao, who is always next to Yuu. Oh, and notice that Ayumi appears during the OP sequence but NOT in the final shot of the cast???
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:08 am Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
Morals of the episode : beating and knifing people is totally ok as long as they're punks but smoking a joint ? Hell no, you're the lowest of the low, man.

that's how it is

now a day unless you are a cop shooting some criminals who were unarmed..

gang related stabbing/shooting.. no one cares.. probably will only get 1-2 minutes of coverage on the local 6 o'clock news.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
Via_01 wrote:
So, I went back to episode 1 in order to clear all doubts. Yuu clearly states that their mother divorced their father, and then shoved their custody over to their uncle, which is why Yuu resents her. So their mother is probably still alive and well. In fact, maybe the lady in black we saw at the funeral WAS their mother... which would make her a very heartless and uncaring person. Probably wasn't. Who knows. Anyway, problem solved.

Thanks for taking the time to check on this. Smile
supercalafragilisticjoy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 8:29 am Reply with quote
Sharkacon wrote:
purplepolecat wrote:
Jacut wrote:
Morals of the episode : beating and knifing people is totally ok as long as they're punks but smoking a joint ? Hell no, you're the lowest of the low, man.

It's not about morals. As Nao pointed out, if he started on the coke while already in a violent self-destructive spiral, he likely wouldn't be able to recover.

Personally I thought this was a very powerful episode. Yuu's journey through depression felt very real. Nao's revelation that she had been watching him the whole time was an amazing twist. The redemption through home cooking ending was a little cliche, but I don't think it was really the omelette rice that saved him. He was looking for a reason to get his life back on track.

I agree 100% with everything you said.

I usually see "twists" coming, but I was so engrossed in this episode that I quickly forgot little things, like the "free salad" or Nao's conspicuous absence from the episode.

She showed up at the right time, too. Doing lines of coke is seldom appropriate, but that would have been the worst possible time for it.

Yuu's relationship with Nao seems a lot more "real" to me than most anime relationships do. While there's enough distance between them that he won't step in while she's being bullied, they're still close enough that I don't think anyone other than Nao could have given him the figurative (and literal) kick that he really needed.

I also agree. I vaguely noticed the salad, but then quickly forgot about it because I was too emotionally engrossed.

I think the passing was great - but I think it also depends on the next episode. If things are suddenly back to normal, then no, this happened too fast. What I'd like to see is still some traces of Mr. rage-monster you don't get over things that quickly.

Still, I felt like this bout of depression was something we rarely see in anime. It usually doesn't seem to go this deep and it just seemed to emphasize how far he could go without his little sister as an anchor. It also made him for of a human character - someone with many flaws and not the good hero we might often see. Also that foreshadowing from the first episode - just that he wasn't your typical hero and that him going into rage mode isn't that far-fetched.

Anyway, great episode!

(Also, part of me wants Ayumi to not be dead, and the other part thinks it might be a little cheap if she isn't. I wouldn't count not seeing the body as evidence though. If she did get cuaght under all the rubble, that would be on a higher level of messy than getting stabbed in the leg)
BockLefty

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:00 am Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:

I don't think it was ever moral, but they WERE punks and even seemed to be criminals, judging by the fact that they were essentially a gang. But this was really about Yuu. He hadn't reached his lowest point yet, but I don't think that Nao wanted him to start doing cocaine, which is what he was about to start on. That was no joint he was going for. He was laying out a line and rolling paper, about to snort that. Hence the powder rain when she kicked it. The limit to his 'grieving' was near irreparable self-damage by becoming a drug user. I think the scariest part about that though was the nonchalant way in which he was ready to start doing heavy drugs. He was just kind of "oh, this was what you were after? Don't mind if I do." I get that he was at a low point, but he wasn't even reprehensive about doing hard drugs.

But seriously, what the hell? Couldn't they have waited till at least a few more episodes before pulling out this huge, emotional card. While the show had a few emotional touches here and there, it came across as mostly lighter fare with all the power of the week episodes. Then they do this? Geez, talk about a sack of bricks to the stomach.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

A lot of things happened and I bet some of you have already realised this but, apparent, Yuu was watching Angel Beats!...!!!
bibotot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:24 am Reply with quote
BockLefty wrote:
Jacut wrote:

I don't think it was ever moral, but they WERE punks and even seemed to be criminals, judging by the fact that they were essentially a gang.

Well, Yuu is the one who starts the fight. The other guys are just playing video game and he pisses them off.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8
Quote:
“I can't do it! Not the side there you. I can do it! Once me there you!”

It sounded to me like they were singing "there are you," which on the face of it makes no more sense really. But I took this to kind of be an expression of her being somehow aware of her sister's possession of her. Like, "I can't do x, when you're not at my side, I can do x when you are where I once was." :¯\_(ツ)_/¯: Smile

Quote:
It'd [sic] hard to believe that there are only five episodes left.

Considering all the as yet untouched plot points I discovered by going over the OP with a fine toothed freeze-frame, it's hard for me to believe too. Never mind the mystery of the vaguely remembered family member, the school's benefactor, and the other faction that showed up at the school on D-Day, we apparently have at least 3 more powers to show up, not to mention spoiler[unknown particles, a vaccine study (?!), and however all this is related to the long period comet Charlotte.] Either this ride is just getting started, or we're in for one hell of an info dump.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:57 pm Reply with quote
Good review for episode 8; I think this one is tougher to cogently analyze than most.
Ep 8 review wrote:
Yuu's already shed his jerk-ish tendencies to become a valued and caring friend. Now, the show is starting to confront Nao's self-harming tendencies and inability to rely on others.

I had thought that Yuu would have been at the stage he is now at the beginning of the prior chapter. Instead he went off on a near-murderous but certainly nihilistic rampage. It makes you suspect that he has a dark core that is still there and could easily be revealed again.

As for Nao I wonder. Other than saying arigato twice she hasn't really changed that much, at least not from the point at which we met her. I think she also has a dark core but we haven't seen much (any?) of it yet so it is hard to see how she is reformed. Regardless that bad side of her seems to make her an interesting, if not good, match for Yuu.
Via_01

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:14 pm Reply with quote
See, what I liked a lot about this episode is how everything seemed to point at Yuu's plan failing. I just couldn’t help but see several defeat flags popping up here and there, from Yuu explaining out loud what he wants to do, Nao apparently thinking it wouldn't work and the guy seeming kind of desperate about it. They may not be actual defeat flags per se, but in anime I'm used to episodes like this having a sad conclussion, showing how naive the main.character is for believing that something so convenient could happen. I wasn’t expecting him to succeed, at least.

But he did. And I liked that resolution.

Also, about that comment on Jun Maeda (though I don't want to sound as too much of a fan) though he did write a lot of moe characters, they usually were handled well, albeit not always impeccably well. Though I have to note, in works like Clannad or Little Busters, his characters were usually only the main couple and a few others; the rest were handled by a handful of different writers (Visual Novel writing is many times a colaborative effort, for better or worse), so pinning everything good or bad on him isn't usually fair.
Buzz201

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:02 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Quote:
It'd [sic] hard to believe that there are only five episodes left.

Considering all the as yet untouched plot points I discovered by going over the OP with a fine toothed freeze-frame, it's hard for me to believe too. Never mind the mystery of the vaguely remembered family member, the school's benefactor, and the other faction that showed up at the school on D-Day, we apparently have at least 3 more powers to show up, not to mention spoiler[unknown particles, a vaccine study (?!), and however all this is related to the long period comet Charlotte.] Either this ride is just getting started, or we're in for one hell of an info dump.

I thought it was already confirmed for 24 episodes?

Edit: or not, turns out I was wrong...

I'd laugh if the OP wasn't completely accurate and its director was just trolling people.

Last edited by Buzz201 on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:38 am; edited 1 time in total
bibotot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:06 am Reply with quote
Episode 8 thoughts: The way characters are developed and conflicts resolved. This is increasingly looking like Angel Beats here.

The first half of the episode feels awkward. Joujirou's fetish with Yusa is getting creepy and old. It's not like he is trying anything new or making a move on her.

The song at the end is pretty good. I like how it snaps Nao's brother back to his consciousness. I hope this is a plot point that will be seen again in future chapters.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:05 am Reply with quote
The "let's watch Yusarin's music video" was the clumsiest product placement I've seen in an anime since the Code Geass kids phoned in some Pizza Hut. Yes, Aniplex of Japan, we get it: we have to go run out to Tower Records and buy this CD.

I'm not quite ready to let Jun Maeda out of gender-roles jail just yet, because I'm not yet convinced he hasn't back-slid from Angel Beats! One of the best things about AB's story construction is that there are two parallel arcs of redemption and acceptance: Otonashi (the main character) and Yuri, which separate widely when Otonashi starts working with Kanade (and implicitly against Yuri), and then come back together in a big way in the last few episodes, resolving her story in the second-to-last episode and his in the infamous last five minutes.

What I'm waiting to see with Charlotte is what happens with Nao's story; is her brother all better now, so that's basically all we need to give her for a motivation and ending, or does she have more to do? Does she exist for her own sake, and what does she want? So far, it seems what motivates her is her mission of keeping kids with abilities out of harm's way. Is that mission never-ending, or can she have some kind of conclusion?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 18