• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Durarara!! ×2 The Second Arc

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Ep 11 review wrote:
that narration seemed to be shutting the book on her character. That's too bad. Bye bye, Namie! You sure were crazy-pants.

That was an epic takedown. Scary how easily Kujiragi simply owned her -- even Namie's verbal barbs came off as pathetic.

I agree with the Chapman on the disposal of this character. She seemed to be perfectly safe and pigeonholed as Izaya's live-in minion and it weirdly seemed fitting for her to be there even though I have no idea what she was there for. (caretaker for the head?) I don't recall any indication that she was his lover, captive or otherwise, and I don't see Izaya wanting her that way given her psychotic-grade fixation on her brother.

Yet at this point she didn't have any use in the story anymore so I guess this was something in the way of character house-cleaning.

Regarding Mikado:
Quote:
You are the cancer that is killing The Dollars, Mikado. It's YOOOOUUUU.

Well gee at least he can do something after all.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
She was just his secretary. Surprisingly efficient at it, too, sometimes Izaya was even bored because Namie had taken care of everything already.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:23 am Reply with quote
I hope for the sake of my interest that it only improves from here
GregoriusU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Namie futilely threatens her uncle with horrible graphic torture, the camera cuts away to an abandoned umbrella, and the narrator then casually informs us that she was never seen again. Damn, that's cold!

As a writer myself, I have to amend this: it's not just cold, it's lazy. And there seems to have been a lot of that in recent episodes.
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 12.

Well, we spoke too soon about Namie... or did we? We don't know if she was saved by somebody and then all of them are reunited there, or if she is a fake Namie (I can't take out my head that this new villain usurpated the person she is pretending to be now) playing with them. Either way, trusting the previous ep's narration, she will just be in the shadows or will leave Ikebukuro soon.

This episode sadly fell in the trap of pasionless not-well-paced direction of supposedly tense scenes (Walker VS Izumi, Celty's talk with Mikado, Izaya and the main villain's final scene). I still thought the content was pretty solid and exciting, but it's a shame to put so many "but"s while watching this show.

About Mikado, this scene where he basically took out his mask (really producers, this is an important tense scene, you should have directed it like that), while it makes sense when you take into account everything about his character now, his whiplash and framing of his friendships don't quite add up. So here is when I noticed not only what the reviewer said before about his misscharacterization from the first novel, but also that maybe the framing of the third arc/novel is different from the anime, which treated it as "nice and well intended yet misguided kids with misunderstandings whose friendship will solve all". But after x2 it's not right, and I wonder if the novel also emphasizes the creepiness of their relationship. Now I'm curious, the third novel could be seen with different eyes with this new perspective and be better, who knows.

So well, this season was mostly buildup for the last one and I was expecting that. It's a shame it's still not as well directed as the first one, but it's still a definitive step forward from the mediocre previous one (and this had the problem of adapting 4+ novels, the last season is just 3), so I enjoyed this, but most of my opinion of the overall show will depend of the last season. And whatever happens, please producers, now put all your effort.
Theozilla

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2015 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Despite the direction not being quite as on point as it was during the beginning/middle of this cour I still enjoyed this finale episode quite a lot for sheer amount of content alone. It's kinda funny how in this episode Vorona mentioned Shizuo buying her cake as a past event yet that scene which was in the light novels, ended up getting cut during this your (likely for time).

As for Namine's rescue, hopefully it will be shown in the first episode of the final cour as it apparently involves spoiler[Shingen and multiple body doubles attacking Kujiragi.]
Also I wonder if this will be mentioned in the next cour or not in regards to Kujiragi's character, that in addition to being a Saika owner, she spoiler[is also Ruri Hijiribe's half-aunt and a half-vampire (Kujiragi's mother being Ruri's grandmother)].
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:52 am Reply with quote
Man, x2's season finales have not been kind to Izaya. He gets shanked in Shou's finale and busted up by his own mind controlled pawn in Ten's.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:15 am Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Man, x2's season finales have not been kind to Izaya. He gets shanked in Shou's finale and busted up by his own mind controlled pawn in Ten's.

And in the finale to season one, Simon punched him like fifty feet through the air into an art installment. I fully expect the last episode of the entire show to have some intense Izaya ragdoll physics.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:47 am Reply with quote
I'm thinking Shizuo turns Izaya into a human signpost pin cushion
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:54 am Reply with quote
Yet he always seems to get what he wants when the dust settles.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I still think Izaya is too smart to be used and fooled just like that. Perhaps getting captured again is his plan.

Either way, this season's finale is less exciting then Shou's. I hope part 3 will be entertaining considering how much material they have to work with.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
So three Saikas are on the loose. Just perfect. I wonder if any more are going to appear.

I thought the finale was well done. Left me confused on a lot of stuff but the setup was good. I'll be waiting for the last cour in, what, January? That's two seasons away, dammit. I'll probably forget everything that happened before that point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6