• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo: New Record Set With 90,500 Unique Attendees

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:28 am Reply with quote
Still smalltime compared to New York Comic Con's reported 160k last year, going off of official badge sales numbers...

Still, NYCC is at capacity at the Javits and isn't likely to grow any more any time soon, so if other cons add capacity, they could catch up sometime in the future, but most large cons are at capacity as well and are locked in to their venues...

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
BlueBitterCoffee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Don't forget that there's also a special discounted pass for those who just want to go into that room with the Exhibit Hall and Artist Alley; moving Artist Alley somewhere else will make things a lot more complicated for that kind of pass.

They got rid of this pass last year because there are too many people attending , Honestly I think that's a good thing the exhibit hall was crowded enough with the full day attendees, to quote thier website:

" Anime Expo is no longer offering Exhibit Hall Only Badges or Free after 4:00pm Exhibit Hall Only Badges."

I don't think it needs more people just there for shopping.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Ah, that explains why no one was talking about them.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 6:50 pm Reply with quote
GhostStalkerSA wrote:
Still smalltime compared to New York Comic Con's reported 160k last year, going off of official badge sales numbers...

Still, NYCC is at capacity at the Javits and isn't likely to grow any more any time soon, so if other cons add capacity, they could catch up sometime in the future, but most large cons are at capacity as well and are locked in to their venues...

San Diego Convention Center is at capacity (and has been for perhaps a decade) for Comic-con with about 616K sq. feet of exhibition space.

Los Angeles Convention Center looks to have slightly more than that (about 650K sq feet exhibition space)...unless you bring in Kentia Hall and its additional 162K sq. feet, for a total around 810K sq. feet.

Anaheim Convention Center appears to have about 815K sq. feet of exhibition space (so slightly larger than LACC and without using what is essentially parking spaces as exhibition space). It's worth noting that both ACC and LACC appear to be in the process of building expansions, though LACC is still working on designs and construction has supposedly started on giving ACC another 200K square feet. Anaheim Convention Center is also near more hotels...

The Javits Convention Center is somewhere around 940K square feet.

What I take from this is that Anime Expo probably has the space to outgrow San Diego Comic-con without leaving the LA Convention Center (though parking and hotels will become more of an issue), but if it starts to approach NYCC size it'll either have to move back down to Anaheim or hope the LA Convention Center gets expanded by then.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
And some people claim anime is losing popularity.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
azabaro wrote:

San Diego Convention Center is at capacity (and has been for perhaps a decade) for Comic-con with about 616K sq. feet of exhibition space.

SDCC has the advantage of being able to use the surrounding area and streets as extra exhibit space.

Jose Cruz wrote:

And some people claim anime is losing popularity.

What conventions show........... is more people could go to conventions.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 7:01 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
SDCC has the advantage of being able to use the surrounding area and streets as extra exhibit space.

Anime Expo does too, though to a much smaller extent. This year, it partnered up with a local hotel for screening rooms, though it isn't immediately adjacent to the convention center the way San Diego's is. Surrounding the Los Angeles Convention Center are the Microsoft Theater, the Staples Center, a bunch of apartment buildings, a bunch of auto dealerships, some public parking lots, a Hooters, a liquor store, Interstate 110, and a taqueria.

At least one hotel manager seemed to dislike Anime Expo guests, from what I heard from people who stayed there. They were charged an extra $90 cleaning fee if they were found to be an Anime Expo guest (regardless of if some extra cleaning was required or not; it could be refunded, but only by contacting hotel staff after the visit), they were given wristbands and only people with these wristbands were allowed to their rooms (so no piling 5 to a room or so), and they could be penalized for excessive noise. The impression I get is that whoever implemented these rules hates Anime Expo's guests but still wants the extra money brought in.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:36 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
At least one hotel manager seemed to dislike Anime Expo guests, from what I heard from people who stayed there. They were charged an extra $90 cleaning fee if they were found to be an Anime Expo guest (regardless of if some extra cleaning was required or not; it could be refunded, but only by contacting hotel staff after the visit), they were given wristbands and only people with these wristbands were allowed to their rooms (so no piling 5 to a room or so), and they could be penalized for excessive noise. The impression I get is that whoever implemented these rules hates Anime Expo's guests but still wants the extra money brought in.

Yeah, I heard about this from a friend who was in LA for Anime Expo. He flew across country from NYC to go to AX and was planning to stay in LA for a few days after the con ended before taking the train down to San Diego for SDCC, but had to leave his hotel room earlier than planned because of this. He was able to rebook and check in at his hotel in San Diego earlier than he planned, but still, that's kinda an asshole move to pull by that hotel manager... They want the money, but not the crowd which brings said money, and the hassles of dealing with them...

Last edited by GhostStalkerSA on Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:56 am; edited 1 time in total
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Is it JW Marriott? If I recall correctly, it was that hotel. Or were there other hotels that had draconian, unfair policies like these?

This is particularly strange, as another part of that hotel had those screening rooms I mentioned earlier.
GhostStalkerSA

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:48 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Is it JW Marriott? If I recall correctly, it was that hotel. Or were there other hotels that had draconian, unfair policies like these?

This is particularly strange, as another part of that hotel had those screening rooms I mentioned earlier.

I don't remember what hotel he stayed at, or if he even mentioned it in his post. I'll ask him and get back to you.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 1:28 am Reply with quote
Thanks. I'd like to know if other hotels than the JW Marriott were doing this sort of thing. It'll be important to anyone coming in from somewhere else for Anime Expo to know which hotels are abusing the AX guests.
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:31 pm Reply with quote
Wandering Samurai wrote:
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
I have to ask

how much will it cost to attend this event?

for me i guess i have to drive across state line.. find a motel to stay for a few days..

what's the cost of admission tickets and other things

total cost per person?

Four day pass when I went last year I believe was $70. If you're going to find a hotel I suggest staying a little out of the way away from LA, or if you have enough people to room with, that is always recommended. I'd ready $500 just for pass, room, food, and whatever merchandise you want to get.

so about $70 for ticket.. $500

i guess the major cost is the travel expenses..

maybe.. but be nice if we have full size SUV.. we can fold the seats down and just sleep in the car instead of staying at a motel .. consider it camping for 3 days!!

thanks for the information Smile
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:35 pm Reply with quote
You'll have to travel pretty far from the Los Angeles Convention Center to find a place that will allow you to park overnight, at least without a hefty charge. The building is smack dab in a densely populated urban area, meaning you'll have to pay for parking, whose rates go way up if you stay past some certain time and further still if you stay there overnight.

Of course, since you'll be sleeping in a vehicle, you CAN stay pretty far away from the convention center. I'd recommend somewhere north, in the San Fernando Valley at minimum. Then, once 11:00 AM passes, you can then go park in the Red Line's North Hollywood station, or, if you can find a parking space, the Universal City station, which is closer (before that time, a parking pass is required). Then, take the Red Line to the 7th/Metro station, which is about four blocks north of the place. Currently, it's $1.75 for a one-way pass and $7 for a day pass, There's also a $1 additional fee for a new TAP card. which is where your passes are digitally stored. You will lose about an hour in this way though, so you cannot attend any events set before noon.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2