• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sentai Filmworks to Release 1978 Gatchman Film With English Dub

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
belvadeer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Wow, dubbing a 1978 anime movie? I have to give them credit for that. That's quite a decision to make.

Angelic Layer I've never seen, but I am curious about it. As for He is My Master, I watched the whole thing fan subbed and I have all four volumes of the manga that were released. It's hilarious but considering what the focus is, it's not for everyone. I mostly enjoy it for the cute, silly, perverted crocodile. XD
NJ_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:04 pm Reply with quote
So glad to hear about this and with how they handled the 90s OVA, expect Charles Campbell & the rest of the ADV dub cast to return.

Hopefully this means Sentai's considering picking up Gatchaman II & Fighter now.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Oh, nice, I never finished watching Angelic Layer!

As for Gatchaman, not a fan, but yeah, it's really impressive, dubbing a 70s film.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:40 pm Reply with quote
I still want to get that Gatchaman Blu-ray set, but I never have the money Sad

I already have this movie though on a french DVD (luckily with dutch subs), but this is the first time it's getting released in the US right?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:57 pm Reply with quote
That kind of sweet
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
I'm ecstatic that Sentai has decided to do an English version of Gatchaman, a show that is 37 years old. Smile If Gachaman becomes successful, then perhaps there's a bit of hope that other early anime shows will one day have their English version.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:29 pm Reply with quote
It would make sense if they used the ADV Gatchaman cast. They are dubbing an oldie!
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
That's really pretty cool.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:46 pm Reply with quote
But who'll do the voice of 7-Zark-7? Razz
Greboruri

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:18 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Wow, dubbing a 1978 anime movie? I have to give them credit for that. That's quite a decision to make.

They dubbed the 1972 - 74 TV series of Gatchaman, so I'm unsure why dubbing the film would be a big deal. As the movie is a compilation film (with a newly animated introduction showing how Leader X came to Earth), I wonder if they'll use the original audio files from the TV recording sessions and matching it up with the footage from the film. Unsure how hard or feasible that would be though.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
They dubbed the 1972 - 74 TV series of Gatchaman, so I'm unsure why dubbing the film would be a big deal.

The older an anime show is, the lesser of a chance it has of selling well, according to the minds of the companies. I honestly never thought Sentai would ever even consider dubbing the film of Gatchaman simply for the reason that it was nearly four decades of age.

Last edited by Mr. Oshawott on Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Desslok

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:33 am Reply with quote
Yes please! Will buy on day one!

(Does this bode well for the second series of Gatchaman dubbed?)
belvadeer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 12:57 am Reply with quote
Greboruri wrote:
They dubbed the 1972 - 74 TV series of Gatchaman, so I'm unsure why dubbing the film would be a big deal.

Just for the reason I stated. Choosing to dub anything from the "ancient days" is what anyone would call a business risk. Most modern and recent anime fans are concerned with appearances first and foremost. A 1978 film is definitely not going to be on everyone's must buy list, for the primary reason that "it looks old and is therefore uninteresting" by their standards. We older anime fans can appreciate this, but we're not the majority of consumers these days, despite we've been around longer to dish out the money.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:38 am Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Greboruri wrote:

Just for the reason I stated. Choosing to dub anything from the "ancient days" is what anyone would call a business risk. Most modern and recent anime fans are concerned with appearances first and foremost. A 1978 film is definitely not going to be on everyone's must buy list, for the primary reason that "it looks old and is therefore uninteresting" by their standards.

Let's try it again:
They already dubbed the series and the OVAs, so now they're doing the movie. As it says in the article.
A lot fewer fans would be forgiving of missing completism than they would be of "old material".

(Please tell me you didn't read just the headline and thought they woke up one morning and decided to do the movie... Rolling Eyes )
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:17 am Reply with quote
@belvadeer

Plus it has been a while since they picked up more original Gatchaman since their re-release of the TV series (with ADV's 2005 redub) & 90s OVA (with new redub) was 2 years ago so seeing them pick this up now and dubbing it is a bit surprising, especially since this movie is nothing but a recap of the series.

This also leaves the question now as to if they will get the sequel shows and redub those as well because both shows together are just as long as the first series (52 of II & 48 of Fighter) and even when Saban had them, their Eagle Riders dub didn't go that far.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2