• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Berserk Manga Has 27 Million Copies in Print in Japan, 8 Million Overseas

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AnimeAddict2014

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:13 pm Reply with quote
and yet no 2nd season?

Berserk anime has the worst cliff hanger ending ever!

picked up the manga right after..Twisted Evil
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Berserk is now the 61st to 63rd bestselling manga according to the mostly accurate https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_manga which is very impressive if one considers the content but i also contributed to the German sales since 2006 Wink .
It is now also the 11th bestselling Seinen if you count Jojo and Kinnikuman where only later volumes are that thanks to magazine immigrations (but Berserk was supposed to be a Shounen manga at first too as the 80s were insane). The top 10 is next and i love it btw. that Shin-chan is Seinen too.

Yes we are still on the boat (this week´s chapter was a 10/10) and Berserk now sold more than Sailor Moon or Dr. Slump with twice the volume count of course. It also overtook it´s other 80s competitor Bastard‼ years ago. Thank the God Hand for that too. Titan´s sales per volume are lastly out of control and that one deserves them too. The characterization of most of the cast could be better after the opening arc and the art is only "fine" but the plot itself is great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:26 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
The characterization of most of the cast could be better after the opening arc and the art is only "fine" but the plot itself is great.

Accurate!
bigivel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2015 5:46 pm Reply with quote
residentgrigo wrote:
(but Berserk was supposed to be a Shounen manga at first too as the 80s were insane).

Yes we are still on the boat (this week´s chapter was a 10/10) and Berserk now sold more than Sailor Moon or Dr. Slump with twice the volume count of course.

Berserk was always a Seinen published in Young Animal, a Seinen Magazine. Even in the 80s.

Berserk didn't sold more than Sailor Moon and Dr.Slump, it has the exact same number of sales, but the double of volumes(1 more than the double in reality!).
Nosehair

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:17 pm Reply with quote
hey i dont feel like hearing any berserk anime bashing. its great at what it does. its not just a taster its the setup for the whole story. they wernt planning on animating the whole manga because it would be too long and isnt a marketable franchise to children, its an 18+ manga too much rape and gore for the kiddies to handle. this is the reason why they are making the films now, since more adults would be inclined to see the movies than watch a tv series. still, i wish the anime just continued where it left off. same animation same music like nothing happened. thats the dream.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:42 am Reply with quote
Berserk stated in the seinen Animal House and then move on to Young Animal in 1992 (the Golden Age Arc). The prototype from 88 has no demographic assigned but Miura gave out interviews about his original intent and that was a boys a manga as the 80s were the time for gory Man with No Name tales for (big) boys. Demographics are meaningless anyway and Guts was original based on Rutger Hauer (amongst others).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:41 am Reply with quote
AnimeAddict2014 wrote:
and yet no 2nd season?

Berserk anime has the worst cliff hanger ending ever!

picked up the manga right after..Twisted Evil
It would just end on another cliffhanger since the manga updates so infrequently.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2