• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Anonymous Tries to Take Down ISIS with Moe Character

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seijuro Hiko

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:49 am Reply with quote
Seeing some of the replies on here, I feel compelled to post a comment. People think this simplifies ISIS. Yes it does. But somehow people think we shouldn't tackle ISIS in this way.

This concept is in fact the ONLY way to defeat ISIS. Yes, we can shoot them, or bomb them and yes we may eventually (though going by how things are at the moment, highly unlikely) defeat the organisation that is ISIS. However, the ideology that is ISIS will always remain.

We don't just rely on comedy to defeat ISIS. We use a combination of propaganda to attack their legitimacy. In some areas, we use comedy and entertainment to remove their symbol of fear and terror (they are terrorists...), at the same time, moderate mosques and muslim groups use education to try and target young disillusioned youths, at the same time, the general community shows that a multicultural, multi-religious society can co-exists in harmony and as such the muslim community is not under some great siege (One of the main argument used by extremists, be they white supremacists, Nazi's, or Islamic terrorists is always the siege mentality)

ISIS-chan doesn't mean we stop fighting ISIS the organisation, but it means we are moving beyond thinking that we can somehow "win" with just bullets, bombs and threats of punishment. We're now thinking about bringing the fight onto every platform, online and offline, targeting both current fighters and future recruits

In the end, every little piece of propaganda against ISIS works in their own little way. And a combined approach is the only way we'll put a stop to the endless cycle of bloodshed.
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:22 am Reply with quote
She's 19? I think both anime & ISIS would agree that's too old.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:07 am Reply with quote
Seijuro Hiko wrote:
This concept is in fact the ONLY way to defeat ISIS

TBH, this comes across like the childish naivete I mentioned earlier, a playground sort of mentality that thinks if we make fun of and taunt the bully, it will somehow solve the problem. The motivations that fuel an organization like ISIS are generated by years of socio-economic unrest, political upheaval, and the bloody realities of military conflict. The idea that making fun of them through cute pictures is "the only way to defeat them" grossly oversimplifies the reason for their existence, and in some ways continues pushing a cultural divide by encouraging a perception that our entertainment is aimed at ridiculing them. And you have to take into consideration, only 40% of the world even has access to the Internet, and only 8% of Iraq (many of whom I imagine have access either from being well-to-do, or from work organizations). TBH, this sort of meme seems much more for the amusement of internetizens looking at ISIS from a distance, than any sort of sincere effort of making a positive impact in the Middle East.
Ringking

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:45 am Reply with quote
Nice to see the terrorists fighting each other for a change.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:50 am Reply with quote
ChrissyC wrote:
ISIS decided to use social media to make itself look cool. These are using social media to make them look foolish.

Lampooning a political enemy only works if the enemy is so determined to be taken seriously by the world, they'll blow a gasket if anyone giggles at them ("Stop it, STOP IT!!"), which only makes the heckling more irresistible, and temptation to be immature about it more inviting.
That was certainly the case with the Germans in WWII, with Saddam in the 90's and 00's, and Kim Jong pere and fils were so delusionally convinced of North Korea's threat to the US that the Daily Show could rake their nerdy incompetence over the coals. Laughing

When you have a group trying to "market their message to the young people with social media", it just doesn't work somehow--It's like trying to make fun of Asylum's Sharknado movies: The more you do it, the more attention they think they're getting.
It's not until ISIS tries for some grab at mainstream respectability that we can start dumping their books in the hallway, like when we all beat up on Battlefield Earth when the Scientologists tried marketing themselves for respectability.
GracieLizzy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:25 am Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
And you have to take into consideration, only 40% of the world even has access to the Internet, and only 8% of Iraq (many of whom I imagine have access either from being well-to-do, or from work organizations).

Yes but another group ISIS target is dillusioned western Muslim teens and young adults in places like the U.K, U.S., France etc. so this is who Anonymous might be trying to divert the attention of rather than people in places like Syria and Iraq. Not sure this will work mind you.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:03 am Reply with quote
For someone who has copyright knowledge, are these images likely copyrighted or not?

I do agree with the sensitive nature part since ISIS is such a political/reli-gious organization that has harmed many people's lives. However, I guess you could make the same argument about stand-up comedians who tell many politically incorrect jokes.
Admiral Pizzaman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:21 am Reply with quote
Animes can fight terrorisms too!

On the serious note, this may sound silly but if their goal is to disrupt search results, why Google and some other major internet companies doesn't try to remove any ISIS-related pages or simply filter out them?

You see, Google at one point has been accused of stifling competition,antitrust and monoploy. If they are capable of doing this and and literally every big things from creating "Google" internet searches, androids, you name it anything, then is it possible to come up ways to clampdown undesired researchs to the likes of ISIS?

Or is it something to do with privacy and freedom of speech & information?
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 11:43 am Reply with quote
Google probably could filter their search results. But why should we let ISIS scare us into censoring the internet?

KarmaRocketX wrote:
This is officially the stupidest thing I have ever seen in my entire life.

You've never see war propaganda meant to demean one's enemies? Are you just not very educated in history? This is not some crazy new idea.
Hikarunu

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:00 pm Reply with quote
gotta love the Aisu-chan
can we have a figure version of her? Laughing
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Admiral Pizzaman wrote:
On the serious note, this may sound silly but if their goal is to disrupt search results, why Google and some other major internet companies doesn't try to remove any ISIS-related pages or simply filter out them?

Because hiding and censoring things should never be the answer.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:46 pm Reply with quote
EricJ2 wrote:
Lampooning a political enemy only works if the enemy is so determined to be taken seriously by the world, they'll blow a gasket if anyone giggles at them ("Stop it, STOP IT!!"), which only makes the heckling more irresistible, and temptation to be immature about it more inviting.

And ISIS is such an organization. With the case of that TV show I mentioned earlier (and television DOES have wide visibility in Iraq), the producers, writers, directors and actors have all received death threats from ISIS.

I forget if the Charlie Hebdo incident was ISIS-related, but that's also definitely a case of Islamic extremists unable to take getting lampooned.
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:03 pm Reply with quote
For everyone saying this is ridiculous, remember that a great deal of ISIS's fighters are foreign-born, not natives to the area. Social media are how they recruit replacement for their fallen, so their recruitment has to be fought on the same battle ground.
Kikaioh wrote:
The motivations that fuel an organization like ISIS are generated by years of socio-economic unrest, political upheaval, and the bloody realities of military conflict.
Islamic terrorism is Islamic; how they get radicalized is a separate issue from dealing with them once they are. Even if you insist on ignoring the religious dimension, ISIS is still an fledgling empire with grand ambitions, not the nationalist movement you're making it out to be.
leafy sea dragon wrote:
I forget if the Charlie Hebdo incident was ISIS-related, but that's also definitely a case of Islamic extremists unable to take getting lampooned.
Sadly, even Charlie Hebdo has surrendered and declared Mohamed off limits.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:02 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Sadly, even Charlie Hebdo has surrendered and declared Mohamed off limits.

Yes, but that was making offensive "fun" of Mohammed, which could be objected to (although not to that degree)--
As opposed to poking more specific fun of ISIS itself, the way Monty Python parodied homegrown terrorist groups in Life of Brian.
sunflower

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:26 pm Reply with quote
There needs to be a version of Hetalia devoted to her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3