• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Say Hello to Black Jack Confronts Effects of Adult ADHD

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:33 pm Reply with quote
If the first case is ADHD, then every working male in Japan probably has the condition.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:47 pm Reply with quote
My friend Paul has ADHD, though we haven't seen each other in a while. I'm no expert on it, but I often forget important assignments and things even though I usually try to be careful. Though this is because I'm autistic. With The Light: Raising an Autistic Child also touches on the subject a bit.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:59 pm Reply with quote
While in the US, we also have an animated series that graphically depicts the social dysfunction, cognitive focusing difficulties and frustrated aggression toward the outside world that can result from growing up with teen and adult ADHD--
Ours is called "Family Guy". Confused
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:31 pm Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
If the first case is ADHD, then every working male in Japan probably has the condition.

Well to be fair, long-term or even chronic stress can also lead to memory issues.
TopGunman

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:33 pm Reply with quote
How is this related to Black Jack?
relyat08

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:36 pm Reply with quote
That's kind of cool! I have Adult ADHD and it is pretty freaking miserable a lot of the time. Just reading that article required a few back-tracks. People acknowledging it as a problem and helping us deal with it is really important to me. Very Happy
Sunset In the Hood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:19 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
That's kind of cool! I have Adult ADHD and it is pretty freaking miserable a lot of the time. Just reading that article required a few back-tracks. People acknowledging it as a problem and helping us deal with it is really important to me. Very Happy

Oh man. Tell me about it. One minute I'm writing a report and the next I'm looking out the window wondering why the man downstairs is walking weirdly. It's so easy to get distracted it sometimes boggles my mind. Or sometimes while speaking with my coworkers I'll be tapping my fingers on the table or staring at something behind them. Or I'd forget to do my work because I'm busy watching anime. It sucks.

At least my ADHD has landed me quite a number of friends who think I'm fun loving and not totally oblivious to anything other than fun.
manapear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:37 am Reply with quote
It's always refreshing to see a series, or anything really, treat any disorder or mental illness seriously. This is great for those that have the disorder and can relate (yay, representation), and can be an excellent reference for others to understand what people go through (and how to be helpful to them).

Maybe I'll start reading this, eventually~.
I still need to read With the Light, as well
justsomeaccount

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:31 am Reply with quote
TopGunman wrote:
How is this related to Black Jack?

Only the title, it's just this author's "homage" or reference, especially in terms of the tone and being about medics (although this one is realistic).

I've read the first part of the series (13 volumes, the other part is still unavailable for other languages), and for those interested it also treats about people with severe mental illness and society's perception of them (especially with media's influence), childs born prematurely... But you have to be aware, while it is very well intended and informed, it is incredibly EXTREMELY HUGELY melodramatic, to extreme degrees. As I said, informed and empathetic, but beware what you'll read. Some stories to represent the issue they're facing can be a little too cliche too (the second volume is the worst imo), but if you can take it it's satisfying.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:20 am Reply with quote
Sunset In the Hood wrote:
Or sometimes while speaking with my coworkers I'll be tapping my fingers on the table or staring at something behind them. Or I'd forget to do my work because I'm busy watching anime. It sucks.

This happens to me ALL THE TIME. I get distracted by eyes pretty often for some reason. I'll be looking around while talking to something and I'll think that I should probably try to look them in the eye. Then I'll end up focusing on that more than the conversation and not be paying much attention at all. :/ The struggle is real. I'm actually seeing my doctor tomorrow to see if I can get something to deal with it a little more easily. I've been resisting medication for years, but it's interfering with my work ability now. Sad
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:57 am Reply with quote
I have had ADHD/OCD and wasn't diagnosed with an autism-related condition until I was in almost high school (14 summers ago).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:32 pm Reply with quote
This is an interesting topic. I'm surprised that no one has done a manga on this medical condition. We've had a manga on "autism" but surprisingly, not ADHD. Hell, not even in the US that I can recall. But "I Kill Giants" is about cancer.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1