• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Answerman - Why Do Older Shows Go Unstreamed?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Melicans

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:09 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Both Dog Days'' and Nanoha ViVid appear to have one element in common: Both were Aniplex of Japan series that were not licensed by (or to) Aniplex of America.

CR being able to get Dog Days'' for parts of Asia (where strangely neither of the prior to series were streamed) aside, it seems we can expect the same for any future AoJ series where AoA doesn't pop up with a license announcement.

The Dog Days'' confusion is amplified even more given that CR do have the rights to the first two seasons, which AoA have (presumably) also not licensed.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:15 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
Both Dog Days'' and Nanoha ViVid appear to have one element in common: Both were Aniplex of Japan series that were not licensed by (or to) Aniplex of America.

If there's one thing that I can take solace in both Dog Days and MGL Nanoha: ViVid still being in no-man's land, it's that.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Calathan wrote:
I find it a little odd that no where in the actual question was it asked why older shows aren't streamed (the question instead being about new seasons of existing franchises), yet both the title of the article and a large part of the answer were about that (unasked) question. Justin did answer the actual question in explaining that there must be something going on behind the scenes preventing a new season of something with an existing fan base from being picked up for streaming. However, since part of the idea of having one question per article was so it would be easier to find answers to specific questions, I thought I should point out that I was surprised about what the actual question was based on the title of this article.

My impression was that this was a detailed "I don't know" kind of answer. And really, that's understandable if none of the companies involved will say anything about why certain shows are skipped over for streaming.

silentjay wrote:
Apparently they don't, as Fox announced a couple of months back that they won't be releasing any more Simpsons season sets on video.

Hmm, is it because people prefer to watch them streamed now? Or perhaps the market is now saturated, as they've long passed the Golden Age of the show (and past the Silver Age, for that matter).
everapril

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
What I'm curious about is if news sites like ANN could still do reviews for shows that are not legally streaming in the US, if only to drive up interest and get the word out. Would that be viable or would that be construed for promoting piracy? Or is it because there are deals with other sites to promote the streaming services?

I mean, isn't that pretty much what ANN's doing right now with the Paranoia Agent reviews? I'm still bitter about that, yo.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:17 pm Reply with quote
everapril wrote:

I mean, isn't that pretty much what ANN's doing right now with the Paranoia Agent reviews? I'm still bitter about that, yo.

? Confused
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I would really like to the know the reasons that Dog Days" wasn't made available for the US when it was English-subbed for parts of Asia. This is really weird/stupid (to me) that the first 2 seasons are available to the US but not the third.
Ali07

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:01 pm Reply with quote
everapril wrote:

Thought the PA reviews are being done from the home video release of the series...?

Also, I had not realised that the streaming of Dog Days...so strange. Laughing

Ah, and I can't help but sigh when I see Hyouka mentioned.
everapril

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:19 pm Reply with quote
nobahn wrote:
everapril wrote:

? Confused

They're doing weekly episode reviews and commentary, which I love, for a show I do want to see that is neither streaming, currently airing nor available for digital purchase. It's not even in print (If I was one for physical media which I am not.) I was pretty stoked when they announced it but yeah.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:25 pm Reply with quote
It is in print in the UK, if you can play R2 PAL DVDs (and can stomach a few seconds being cut from one episode).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:47 pm Reply with quote
Actar wrote:
What I'm curious about is if news sites like ANN could still do reviews for shows that are not legally streaming in the US, if only to drive up interest and get the word out. Would that be viable or would that be construed for promoting piracy? Or is it because there are deals with other sites to promote the streaming services?

Does it matter considering the shows aren't available in the US anyway? Not to mention, for sites on the internet that don't have to deal with international boundaries with regard to viewership, can't those reviews be targeted towards an international audience that may have access to the shows?

I think this has been addressed in a general sense various times before by Zac & other people from ANN, but I think the major issue is that they don't want to talk about something & then have people who get interested go, "Hey, why can't I check this show out?" The concept is valid & noble, but it can also feel like teasing to those who aren't going to go to "other means" to watch some titles. This is especially true now, as most people will likely just ignore the 5% of titles we don't get via simulcasting & simply go to the other 95% that is out there legally. Paranoia Agent's weekly reviews were simply a case of Zac & the others forgetting that Geneon's DVDs are expensive now, but I don't doubt that the show will get rescued eventually, so the reviews will likely work as a more recent reminder of how the show it when it finally gets re-released.

There are people who talk about those other titles that aren't being streamed, but they simply aren't on ANN.
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Ali07 wrote:
everapril wrote:

Thought the PA reviews are being done from the home video release of the series...?

Also, I had not realised that the streaming of Dog Days...so strange. Laughing

Ah, and I can't help but sigh when I see Hyouka mentioned.

Hyouka's lack of legal release in the US completely baffles me. It's KyoAni for crying out loud. This was the only KyoAni show in recent memory that wasn't licensed right away.

My only guess is that it fell during the time be Bandai closing and Sentai taking over licensing KyoAni works. And so it just got forgotten about.

Last edited by Razor/Edge on Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
WingKing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:47 pm Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:

Yeah, but the even weirder thing with ViVid is that not only is there no streaming for the series, they haven't even announced a release date or started taking pre-orders yet for the home DVDs and Blu-Rays in Japan. That for a show that already ended about a month ago. Given how much late night anime depends on BD sales for revenue, and how popular Nanoha is in Japan to begin with, to have gone this long without announcing any firm release plans is just bizarre. It tells me that there must be some major unresolved issues going on with that series behind the scenes, because they're potentially costing themselves a lot of money by taking so long to get it out on the retail market. It's easy to see why there would be no international distribution deals made though (streaming or otherwise), if they can't even get their domestic distribution figured out.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Dop.L wrote:
Then there are the odd little exceptions. In the UK the streaming service Viewster started streaming 2006 Noitamina anime "Hataraki Man", based on the manga by Moyoco Anno.

"Hataraki Man" never, ever, got licensed in English before.

No idea how that came about, but I'm glad it did!

Sam Pinansky (aka "Quarkboy" and "samuelp") posted in the Hataraki Man thread on AS that he is working with Viewster now and was responsible for this release. He subbed the show when it first appeared.

I was surprised when Cinedigm rescued Mononoke from the depths and released an R1 DVD last year. Their version is now streaming on Crunchyroll as well. I keep hoping they might do the same for Dennou Coil. Their catalog includes some other shows for families and children.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If the shows ever get picked up for an all-rights deal (i.e. home video, TV, etc.) then that show will probably end up streaming somewhere at that point. But the shows you mention have all yet to find homes, which leads me to believe that there is some extenuating circumstance holding them back.

We're also forgetting that legit streaming's only been around for three years or so, and most older shows on disk were licensed before the concept of streaming rights even existed.
Viz could get Sailor Moon and Ranma back on streaming in their all-rights deal, since it was a new re-acquisition, but for now, apart from Crunchyroll digging up the odd curiosity, the best hope is waiting for an old show to be re-licensed for disk.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:13 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Hyouka's lack of legal release in the US completely baffles me. It's KyoAni for crying out loud. This was the only KyoAni show in recent memory that wasn't licensed right away.
Amagi Brilliant Park didn't have official streams until several months after the airing ended. And for certain values of "recent," neither season of K-On! was officially streamed during broadcast, even though legal-CR was a thing at that point.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3