• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shirobako Tops Weekly Anime Blu-ray Chart for 1st Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaptainAvatar

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:36 am Reply with quote
This show was fantastic, and I can't wait for the US release. There was one phrase used in this show that made it an instant classic:

"Hado Belly!"

Laughing
Saffire

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:39 am Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Because of stock problems, at first. The total has always gone down between volumes.
Last volume is almost always going to total less than the first volume because people buy them in sequence. But first-week sales improving with each release is impressive. Stock problems were why the first half sales were so much lower but it doesn't explain the second half managing to continue the trend.
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:53 am Reply with quote
I hope that at one release they include a clean, maybe a bit extended version of Ema's Angel Dance
Rederoin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Rederoin wrote:
Because of stock problems, at first. The total has always gone down between volumes.
Last volume is almost always going to total less than the first volume because people buy them in sequence. But first-week sales improving with each release is impressive. Stock problems were why the first half sales were so much lower but it doesn't explain the second half managing to continue the trend.

It just suggests it has a big wk2, nothing more. Bigger first weeks, but smaller wk2s as a result of that.
John Thacker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Rederoin wrote:
Saffire wrote:
Rederoin wrote:

It just suggests it has a big wk2, nothing more. Bigger first weeks, but smaller wk2s as a result of that.

But surely the trend continuing to volumes six and seven can't be just stock problems? If so, then the drop off from volume to volume must have been less than in a typical show as well. Both stronger than expected initial interest and legs is very impressive.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:57 pm Reply with quote
The Blu-ray releases contain a variety of additional items like artbooks and a cute keychain/cellphone fob of Roro, Aoi's stuffed bear. I have no idea whether these items were included in all releases, or just the initial "limited" releases. If the limited releases had exclusive additional items, I can see that being a reason for their strong first-week sales.

Volumes 3 and 7 are priced considerably higher than the others at Amazon. I'm guessing it's because they include the Exodus and Aerial Squad OVAs as well.

Last edited by yuna49 on Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:31 pm Reply with quote
Now, does it popularity warrant a dub is what I would like to know.
configspace

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately there's no word if Sentai will include any of the extras that come with the Japanese version yet. For example there's a huge behind the scenes documentary that talks about the production process and the real life people the characters are modeled after.

I hope Sentai will also release the OVA and provide a limited edition with these extras too.
reanimator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:50 pm Reply with quote
configspace wrote:
Unfortunately there's no word if Sentai will include any of the extras that come with the Japanese version yet. For example there's a huge behind the scenes documentary that talks about the production process and the real life people the characters are modeled after.

I hope Sentai will also release the OVA and provide a limited edition with these extras too.

I wouldn't count on it. No sane Japanese committee will grant foreign licensee to sell the same type of extras for their version at cheaper price.
laceblade

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I watched the final episode of this last night. It deserves to do well, and I'm glad to see that it is!
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:03 am Reply with quote
So...why did this get it's own article? Just because it's anime about making anime, so it's special enough to deserve it?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
As someone who is a dub fans, this is my thought: Please tell me if this deserves a dub. If then, I might wait to watch it dubbed. If not, I might not want it (at least, for a while).
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 8:58 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:
So...why did this get it's own article? Just because it's anime about making anime, so it's special enough to deserve it?
Because Shirobako is hugely popular among ANN's target audience, and also because it's highly unusual for a series to increase it's first-week sales with each release.
Kadmos1 wrote:
As someone who is a dub fans, this is my thought: Please tell me if this deserves a dub. If then, I might wait to watch it dubbed. If not, I might not want it (at least, for a while).
We know Sentai has the license but they haven't announced distribution plans yet, so there's no way to tell whether it will get one. Based on popularity it's probably a coin toss whether Sentai will go for it.
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
Razor/Edge wrote:

No, I think it's because most of us are surprised a show like SHIROBAKO would be so successful. It is, after all, just a slice-of-life office show with cute characters that happens to be about anime production. I also think many anime fans like me believe SHIROBAKO was one of the best shows of 2014-2015 and fully deserving of its success.

Consider, for instance, the sales for Uchouten Kazoku, a delightfully off-beat show about a family of shape-shifting tanuki also from P. A. Works. I enjoyed that show as well and thought it one of the better releases of 2013. However Its sales averaged about 1,600 units across its seven volumes. Any single volume of SHIROBAKO has sold more copies than Uchouten Kazoku did combined.

Update: I was curious to see how well Working! had fared. It sold better than Shirobako, averaging just under 18,000 copies per volume. So maybe that market for "slice-of-life office shows with cute characters" is bigger than I realized!
consignia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:16 am Reply with quote
It's a notable series, because it's an anime original series which isn't part of a franchise that's sold well. It's almost unheard of, especially since it's work place drama rather than anything fantastical.

Quote:
Update: I was curious to see how well Working! had fared. It sold better than Shirobako, averaging just under 18,000 copies per volume. So maybe that market for "slice-of-life office shows with cute characters" is bigger than I realized!

In fairness, Working is a based on a manga, and is a comedy so it's slightly more palatable than ShiroBako. And it is an exception as well.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2