• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Kyoto Animation: Myriad Colors Phantom World Novel Gets Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:30 pm Reply with quote
High school, huh? Replace "high school" with "college" or "anything other than high school" and I'll watch it for sure.
MischievousMelody

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Called it! Looks like I've got a new KyoAni anime to look out for! Very Happy
CaRoss

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm quite excited for this. The character designs look great and the concept of the story sounds pretty interesting.

That and KyoAni doing another action series is a huge plus. They've got a great team of animators who put a lot of effort into the scenes in KnK, and it's going to be great seeing more of that.

I just hope that one day, they'll move slightly out of the "moe" style and tackle something a little fiercer than what they've currently done.

However, this doesn't change the fact that I will be following and waiting to see more about this series.
Calculus20

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Christ this looks so generic.

"Takes place in the future" "Phantoms are monsters that appear out of nowhere""Protag is first year HS student" "Fights phantoms with a special ability" "Certain incident leads them to the truth of the world"

I've seen all those things countless times. While it's generally bad to judge a book by its cover, I've found that in recent years this is proving all too true for anime, especially these fantasy light novels. KyoAni isn't very consistent as they used to be so there's no need to assume this will even be that good. It's looking to be KnK level or worse. There's literally nothing that sounds new or grabs the reader. Euphonium had band instruments/music going for it which you don't see too much, Amagi had the fantastic premise of saving a theme park from being closed down inhabited by fairytale creatures, but this.... I'll pass. I'm pretty sure it won't even be that good. I'd like to be proven wrong though. I'll be interested in how people react to this anime.
Blackiris_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
KyoAni does best at slice-of-life, the stories are never particularly interesting compared to the character interaction. Of course KyoAni will turn this rather dull concept into a watchable anime, but I guess the final product will be Kyokai no Kanata tier. In other words: Not exactly a highlight.

Free! and Euphonium were no highlights for me, either, but they were far more interesting than Kyokai no Kanata with its lukewarm Light Novel fantasy setting because they focused on what they were good at.
Rivailloli

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:05 pm Reply with quote
and alas, the great KyoAni has fallen to adapting a trash harem light novel. God bless.

I'll be watching for the visuals, but I expect next to nothing out of this adaption. I haven't heard anything good about the light novel and their previous adventure into 'action' type shows was a total wreck.
relyat08

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:09 pm Reply with quote
You know what would be cool? If KyoAni collaborated with Nitro+ and made something like Gakkou Gurashi with moe girls in horror situations. Laughing
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:59 pm Reply with quote
This sounds woefully generic but KyoAni has pulled off some great stuff with seemingly simple plots in the past so I'll keep an eye out and reserve judgment til then.
Ali07

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Seeing as I've enjoyed some recent KyoAni work, like KnK and Amagi (haven't seen Euphonium yet), I'll be checking this one out.

Oh, and anyone else see SAO's GG Kirito standing there, right? That's all I can see...on the right. Right there, that looks like Kirito to me. Laughing
Sunny milk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Battle harem ecchi, with McBigTits as main girl, and probably shounen as their main target demographic.
I think that's the worst sounding project they've ever been doing.
K-Anime

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:59 pm Reply with quote
If It's close to a harem, I'll keep an eye out for it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Somehow, this news doesn't surprise me. Knew it would eventually get an anime adaptation someday. With only 1 volume though...if they plan to adapt it into a full TV (1 cour) series, then I predict filler and anime original content added to it as well.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Is nobody going to comment on Dekomori's voice?
Megiddo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Are we going to get a Violet Ever Garden anime adaptation? Ya'know, the one time where KyoAni actually gave out the grand prize instead of an 'honorable mention' or 'runner-up'? How the hell has that not been green-lit for animation yet?
Kaizival

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
I'll watch this, but god, was I desperately, desperately hoping for a Euphonium Season 2...Just got excited about the idea, heard some idle Reddit chatter on the second season Euphonium prospects. Still, I'll give this a shot, I guess (but please, Hibike season 2!)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3