• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: SHIMONETA: A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:45 pm Reply with quote
chito895 wrote:
^ You mean this scene?

Yep.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
Kosuri redeemed? Well OK. I was wrong about her playing a double-game but I suppose I am fine with her learning her lesson. Did anyone else catch that last frame of her on the bench under Ayame where she basically is drawn spoiler[as an ejaculating penis?]

Um, I did bring that up in the review.

Quote:
One other problem with SHIMONETA that I and everyone else has been ignoring is that those PM things around everyone's neck don't seem to do anything. About the only effect they have on the story is that they somehow force Otome to draw everything with her mouth. With the feds so obviously unconcerned about anyone's civil rights you would think they would have used them somehow to fight SOX and the other terrorists. If SOX can get away with all the things they do while wearing them what good are they to the story?

Yeah, that has always seemed a bit odd to me. It isn't out of the question that it means nothing, as anime are notorious for overlooking practicalities that get in the way of storytelling. But I have sometimes wondered if that didn't mean something else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:23 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
One other problem with SHIMONETA that I and everyone else has been ignoring is that those PM things around everyone's neck don't seem to do anything. About the only effect they have on the story is that they somehow force Otome to draw everything with her mouth. With the feds so obviously unconcerned about anyone's civil rights you would think they would have used them somehow to fight SOX and the other terrorists. If SOX can get away with all the things they do while wearing them what good are they to the story?

That isn't accurate. They sound an alarm when they detect banned words or actions. That is why Kajo has to keep using her cellphone's program to have 3 minutes (or however long it was said to be) a day to say dirty jokes.

Now I agree, it shouldn't be too much of a stretch to use that kind of device for full 24/7 surveillance, but we do know the current models are somewhat limited due to the explanation of what the new system Sox opposed earlier could do.

And I don't think the point of them is to deal with groups like Sox anyway. They want to police everyone. That would take a huge amount of manpower. The neck things can help to keep it manageable by keeping average citizens in check.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I don't get why Sox is so opposed to recruiting Hyouka, the (mad?) scientist girl. She's one of the funniest characters, and has consistently been helpful to Sox and a proponent of their cause. She would have been more loyal than Kosumi. The only reasons I can think of is the in show reason: they just don't like her, and the meta reason: she's funnier if she's kept ignorant. It's too bad, she's really one of the best characters!

There's no real need to. Both sides know who each other are. Hyouka knows the identity of the members of SOX, but has shown no desire to get involved in their antics; she is merely interested in the science behind everything and nothing more. However, she has provided logistical support when needed; all in the name of science. In a way, she's sort of an unofficial member at the most.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Um, I did bring that up in the review.

Erp. So you did. And prominently, too. I have no idea why I didn't absorb that on first read-through so I will just plead age and overwork.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:10 am Reply with quote
Okay, so most of the subbed anime I watch is muted and watching the episode in halves (top window/part of streaming player is the starting point while the bottom is generally the 11-12 min. marker). I would love to have seen a broadcast dub of this since this is about crude humor/sex stuff being taboo. That is, when you have raunchy humor like this, being liberal with a dub script writing I think is more justified.
AnimusPrime

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:12 am Reply with quote
Quote:
And then the series ends with SOX raising its flag above the school as Blue Snow shouts “penis!” Back in 1999 the erotic thriller Eyes Wide Shut, Stanley Kubrick's final film, famously ended on a dirty word. Was SHIMONETA trying to emulate that, or did its writers just decide on their own that the most appropriate way to end a series about dirty jokes was to have its female protagonist shout out a sexual reference? Either way, it shows that the series is remaining true to its nature to the last moment.

It seems like the last line was out-of-left-field, but it wasn't. Actually, this was just Ayame triumphantly yelling her catchphrase, "Oochinpooooo!" (~"big wangs!"). This is the same phrase she's yelled since episode 1, and in the opening credits of every episode since. It's just that for whatever reason, Funimation translators have been using the subtitle "Big (ding)leberries!" instead of any sort of accurate translation.
zztop

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 11:27 am Reply with quote
Quote:
While the anime does engage in some satire and social commentary...

Some political content regarding the true nature of the PM laws was removed from the anime.

spoiler[Anna’s father is a high-ranking politician and major proponent of the PM laws. He doesn’t care about public morals at all; he’s using the laws to control and censor the flow of public information.
The father believes freedom of information weakened Japan, and that only by controlling it under “official” channels can Japan be saved and become a strong, powerful nation again.
Anna’s father actually LIKED Gathered Fabric’s terrorism, since it gave the PM laws more legitimacy. He wanted their acts to escalate even further so he could implement even harsher censorship laws. He was very angry when SOX defeated Fabric and even tried to stop Blue Snow’s TV appearance. Anna’s father is currently plotting how he can use/manipulate SOX for his political ends.]

The novels also boast future appearances by:

spoiler[1) Tanukichi's mother, co-founder and top agent of Japan's morality squad. Called the 'Fullmetal Ogress' for her tough, badass demeanour, she's described as being 170cm, old scar under one eye and able to give people the evil eye. Anna's mother is her best friend, thus Sophia trusts Tanukichi to join the school and student council. She also trained Tanukichi to fight, and can take on Anna in one-on-one combat.

2) Ayame's stepmom, hot springs inn manager, opposes the PM laws banning mixed bathing. She firmly believes girls should act like proper traditional Japanese ladies, and has strictly trained Ayame as such. (This is also why Ayame's civilian cover is so good.) Ayame's birth parents are in jail, since the mother wrote dirty novels.

3) Annie Brown, big-boobed, bespectacled American tech expert hired to try promote the PM technology overseas. Her bad spoken Japanese means she ends up using a lot of sex innuendo in her speech. She also ends up fancying Tanukichi too.]
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Ep review wrote:
Back in 1999 the erotic thriller Eyes Wide Shut, Stanley Kubrick's final film

That's a rather disingenuous string of adjectives. That movie was neither erotic nor was it a thriller. It was as stimulating as a soggy box of oatmeal and every bit as exciting. On top of that it was stupid even by Tom Cruise movie standards and that's saying something.

As for the anime the review says what needs to be said but there isn't much more to it than that. There were no great insights or revelations and that rather limp (sorry) secret was well on par with the one in the aforementioned Kubrick movie. It all seems like such purposeless activity.

I really wanted to like this but at the end of the day the only thing to like was Ayame and her antics. Her sudden bout of shyness was quite appealing but even without it she carried the whole show just with her energy and weird predilections.

I thought it odd that when this anime is discussed it isn't referred o as a harem anime. Maybe it isn't but if you look at it that way then clearly Ayame is the girl Tanukichi should pick.

Pro Tip: If you want a Secret Switch to trigger the revealing the Secret Shaft that can be rotated with the Secret Key (replaceable by any big-size crescent wrench) you ought not to make it a paver where anyone come near would step on. And further don't make them come near to see the one uncorrupted mannequin in the vicinity.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:04 am Reply with quote
AnimusPrime wrote:
It seems like the last line was out-of-left-field, but it wasn't. Actually, this was just Ayame triumphantly yelling her catchphrase, "Oochinpooooo!" (~"big wangs!"). This is the same phrase she's yelled since episode 1, and in the opening credits of every episode since. It's just that for whatever reason, Funimation translators have been using the subtitle "Big (ding)leberries!" instead of any sort of accurate translation.
Sorry, but I hear "Oppa~" in the opening quite clearly since ep.1 which may be intended as a variant on "breasts"(?). And yes, where Funi got thier "translation" I can't fathom.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2015 7:35 am Reply with quote
I would love to see the LN get translated for other people to enjoy. Heck, when you have a series with crude humor, I think liberal translations among the anime purists might be more forgiven (for some).
BassKuroi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:48 pm Reply with quote
HaruhiToy wrote:
That's a rather disingenuous string of adjectives. That movie was neither erotic nor was it a thriller. It was as stimulating as a soggy box of oatmeal and every bit as exciting. On top of that it was stupid even by Tom Cruise movie standards and that's saying something.

No, wait. It's a great film, you just have to know what it is about beforehand. Yes, it's neither a thriller nor is erotic because its purpose is not to excite you, but to make you realize what male sexuality is all about.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Hiroki not Takuya wrote:
And yes, where Funi got thier "translation" I can't fathom.

From King Records. They provided the subs for the show, so funi didn't do anything
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7