• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: U.S. MegaBots Team Launches Kickstarter For Kuratas Face-Off

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rusty Shackleford

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
So who will you guys be rooting for?
Although I'd prefer Japan to win, I really don't mind eather way... This could be the gateway into the future where giant-stompy-robots duke it out with each other we've all been waiting for. So whoever wins, it is a win for me. Very Happy
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote
So I'm pretty certain this won't actually happen (no way they would let this happen for safety reason) and even if it does happen it'll probably last at most one minute (55 second for the robot to meet, 5 second for one to hit the other immediately break it) I'm still backing this because GIANT ROBOT FIGHT!
DuelGundam2099

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:58 pm Reply with quote
As long as nobody gets hurt, the robots are balanced, and nobody cheats I say LET THEM FIGHT! Hopefully Japan will have a COUNTERATTACK of sorts. Razz
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Panzer Vor wrote:
ResistNormal wrote:
They will leave the keys in the ignition and some Japanese kid will steal the thing during some kind of state of emergency.

And then a PLA conscript with a Type 69 RPG one-shots it. Hell, live rifle or machine gun fire would probably be sufficient enough to kill the pilot or otherwise disable key systems.

"Jooooooe!! If only we hit the $1.25M stretch goal this would have never happened!"

They're already a third of the way to the goal, BTW.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:32 am Reply with quote
Being a fan of anime, I would vote for Japan. Being a proud American, I would for the USA.
AnimeLordLuis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:45 am Reply with quote
Since I'm always one to side with the underdogs I'm going with team USA on this one. I imagine that this would be like Rocky but with robots Very Happy
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 3:14 am Reply with quote
Oh, they brought in Grant Imahara for this. Interesting. Quite the expatriate, that man is. (I don't know if it's worth mentioning or not, but in addition to MythBusters, he, too, was and still is a BattleBots person. He's the operator for Deadblow and the current operator of Vlad the Impaler II.)
noobster

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:21 am Reply with quote
Kuratas: SipsDiesel.jpg
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:32 am Reply with quote
Good thing that this isn't people fighting directly because then we would be facing rights and criminal issues.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:43 am Reply with quote
Honestly, a gun-fight between two robots not built from the ground up to actually fight would be pretty boring. Neither of them was designed or built as a combat vehicle.

They're basically just big toys.

And if they're going to have a gun battle, they need to be using a standardized projectile, or otherwise it's meaningless.

That said, the idea that manned vehicles are going to engage in melee combat with actual melee weapons (ostensibly designed to destroy other giant robots) is ludicrous. It would simply be too dangerous and too destructive. And the robotics aren't advanced enough to really engage in meaningful hand-to-hand combat where strength and dexterity is a factor.

At best, I could see them having something like Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots where they hit a designated target zone. Again, this would require them to standardize the target zones and the weapons, or it would all be meaningless.
_Cyphon_

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:41 am Reply with quote
I mean, it sounds cool, but it's probably not going to look that way when it happens.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2