• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pearl Diver Mascot Controversy Continues to Rage

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:22 am Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:

but i bet you could get a lot of people to visit with a cute mascot.

They'd be in for a rude awakening bait 'n switch! Laughing

leafy sea dragon wrote:

An old woman can work as a mascot, or a spokesperson, if she is interesting as a character.

Betty White Laughing

Lili-Hime wrote:
Suena wrote:

There's no physical way a lady can be 5'2" and 101 pounds and have boobs like that. No. Way.

Me too lol. Welcome to anime physics! The more obvious anatomy fail in most anime anatomy is they give girls with big breasts way too slender shoulders. Can't support that weight without neck/shoulder muscles.

Maybe the ladies could wear this perfect chest cosplay outfit: Laughing

TarsTarkas wrote:

Can't really blame the town council either, how were they to know that the pearl divers weren't interested in getting the younger generation interested in pearl diving or the town.

They would've known these issues ahead of time if in the first place they'd just asked the ama to be advisers during the whole process, like nowadays Native Americans would be part of the process when designing any new Native American mascot.

At least no taxpayer money was spent:
Quote:
We certainly approved her, but the city isn't using this moe character for anything. Of course, not one tax yen has been spent," says the office of municipal tourism strategy.
mdreura

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 1:54 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I said this at the last thread about this topic. What works in Akihabara doesn't necessarily also work in Shima, or anywhere else outside of Akihabara. The further away one goes from metropolitan culture, the slower traditional culture changes towards it, if at all.

This comment put the foolishness of this whole story and discussion thread into perspective and make perfect sense for me. I don't know why you've found it necessary to repeat yourself and not gotten any reply comments. Thank you.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:51 am Reply with quote
mdreura wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
I said this at the last thread about this topic. What works in Akihabara doesn't necessarily also work in Shima, or anywhere else outside of Akihabara. The further away one goes from metropolitan culture, the slower traditional culture changes towards it, if at all.

This comment put the foolishness of this whole story and discussion thread into perspective and make perfect sense for me. I don't know why you've found it necessary to repeat yourself and not gotten any reply comments. Thank you.
They just ignore me cuse I'm an old git. I don't mind really, I'm use to it. Laughing
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:00 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
There is no reason to compromise.

You're right. There's no need to compromise. They should just dump this trashy mascot and the designer altogether, and go with someone less sleazy that will actually respect their tradition, instead of taking advantage of it for the sake of tourism.

TarsTarkas wrote:
The animator did a fantastic job, and didn't deserve all the hate and depraved accusations that were thrown his way. Can't really blame the town council either, how were they to know that the pearl divers weren't interested in getting the younger generation interested in pearl diving or the town.

Yeah, a really fantastic job. For a late night anime or ero-manga.

And I'd think the divers would be more interested in attracting young women to their tradition, as opposed to sexually frustrated young men.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:17 am Reply with quote
@Kikaioh

The diving group complaining and the town council that approved the designs are two separate entities with two separate intentions. The promotion is not about the diving group, but rather about the town and its history. The town council wanted a mascot to bring in tourism, and the diving group wants that mascot to better reflect them as they are an important part of the history of the town. I perfectly understand why the diving group doesn't like the mascot. They probably didn't have any input in what was being done and feel it taints their pure livelihood.

The town council doesn't care about realistic portrayals of pearl diving life, they want tourism dollars. The town council has already compromised by having the animator make some minor changes to address the complaints. But I don't believe the town council will completely trash the promotion. There probable is no danger of them being voted out of office over this. As many in the U.S. already know, city councils rarely do what their constituents want or care about. It's all about the money.

If the diving group feels that strongly about their group, they should go to local schools and regional fairs, and talk about their livelihood. Human interaction is always better than a mascot when it comes to getting new blood into a not so well known business or hobby.

But you have used the terms sleazy, trashy, and other not so nice terms to describe the animator's work. Maybe if the animator had used Panty and Stocking as the basis for the character design you might have a point, but the character design is not that. I would even say that the character design is a family friendly one at that.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:37 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
The promotion is not about the diving group

That's the issue right there. You have a city council selfishly usurping these people's tradition and sexing it up to attract customers. It's politics and money talking, not respect for cultural heritage.

As for whether it's family friendly or not, the mascot was certainly drawn in an art-style largely used in male otaku-oriented works, with clothing that's unrealistically skin tight (certainly pronouncing her breasts beyond the normalcy of clothing physics) and making a point to reveal her bares legs. On its own it isn't necessarily an overtly offensive piece, but it's the underlying intent to use a sexy moe mascot to rake in tourists at the expense of a still-practiced tradition that makes the motivations and subsequent design trashy and sleazy.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote
If you want to call the town council sleazy and exploitative, I have no problem with that.

But the character design and the animator are not.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:55 pm Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned, the artist is complicit in the sexualization of the pearl diver's tradition, and is just as sleazy and trashy as the city council for knowingly rendering a gross misrepresentation of their work (and judging by the art style, I wouldn't be surprised if the idea to physically sex up the character came from the artist either).
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
This is what is wrong with today's society. You have more in common with the Puritans, than you do with the generations before you. You all seem hell bent on sucking the beauty out of life.

You act like she is wearing a plug suit, and that somehow showing some bare leg is sinful.

I am done, nothing good will come of further discussion. At least from me.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:23 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:

Look at his/her post history. Nearly the entire first two pages is him/her raging at otaku. Discussion is pointless.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:10 pm Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
This is what is wrong with today's society. You have more in common with the Puritans, than you do with the generations before you. You all seem hell bent on sucking the beauty out of life.

You act like she is wearing a plug suit, and that somehow showing some bare leg is sinful.

There's nothing wrong with sex, nudity, fetishes, the female form, etc. I can enjoy shows from Kekko Kamen to Prison School and not blink an eye at the excess skin and sexuality on display.

But context is key. This sleazy fiasco is basically exploiting an ancient tradition by using sex to misrepresent it, appealing to the base natural desires of men for political/monetary gain while falsely presenting an existing worker's group, whose voice regarding their 'official' governmental mascot has largely gone ignored. It's directly disrespectful to actual living people and how they wish to be publicly presented.

@strawberry-kun: Either add to the discussion, or message by pm. This thread isn't about your perception of me.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:47 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:

@strawberry-kun: Either add to the discussion, or message by pm. This thread isn't about your perception of me.

I'm sorry, but I didn't realize that you were a mod Rolling Eyes

You are right though. This thread isn't about my perception of you. It's just yet another soapbox for you to throw around insults and be offended at yet another stupid otaku thing. How many pages of post history before it becomes soapboxing? We're at two. Do we need 3? 4? 5? Laughing
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:55 pm Reply with quote
@strawberry-kun: No. This thread isn't going to be turned into your personal tirade against me. You're ignored.

If that's all that @TarsTarkas has to say in response, there's nothing left for me to discuss here.
strawberry-kun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I won't post since I rarely actually post on this site, but I'll be sure to laugh to myself in the next inevitable thread where you have another freak out. See ya!
Hameyadea

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:50 am Reply with quote
I understand that they want that their mascot will reflect their behaviour/dress code/occupation as accurately as possible, but it isn't mandatory.

Kellogg's mascot for their Frosted Flakes brand, Tony the Tiger, can give a thumbs-up

Real tiger don't have opposable thumbs

This time, the creators chose a not-so-literal representation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5